Trump now considering independent run
April 12th, 2011

Trump now considering independent run

Washington (CNN) - Donald Trump says he's now flirting with the idea of running as an independent candidate should he fail to win the Republican presidential nomination, a move that, however farfetched, threatens to draw crucial support away from the eventual GOP nominee.

"I think the Republicans are very concerned that I [may] run as an independent," Trump told the Wall Street Journal in comments published Tuesday.

"I am very conservative," he added. "The concern is if I don't win [the GOP primary] will I run as an independent, and I think the answer is probably yes."

The odds have always been stacked against a third party candidate in a presidential race, usually due to a combination of lower name identification, relatively little funding, and a lack of party infrastructure to rely on for get out the vote initiatives.

But Trump – who has already spent years making sure people know who he is and has vowed to spend hundreds of millions of his own fortune if he runs – says he could win without the GOP banner behind him.

"I'm not doing it for any other reason. I like winning."

Meanwhile, top White House aide David Plouffe shrugged off Trump's potential candidacy Sunday, saying there is no way he "would ever be hired by the American people to do this job."

But speaking to Fox Sunday, Trump maintained he is actually the Obama campaign's "worst nightmare."

"I am not the person they want to run against," he said. "They know it, and I know it, and I know it for a fact. Because I have a lot of people that, frankly, are contributors to him and they tell me, 'Donald you are not the person they want to run against.'"

Trump has not led the potential GOP field in any major poll. But a recent NBC/Wall Street Journal poll showed "The Apprentice" host and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee are tied for second place with support from 17 percent of likely GOP voters, behind former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney with 21 percent.

Filed under: 2012 • Donald Trump
  1. Mike

Seriously. Is there a BIGGER FRAUD anywhere in the world ? Anywhere ? Anyone else rank with this "rankest of the rank" ? He will play out this nonsense until he hits the point where he will be "required to submit his tax returns". Don't any of your well-informed folks remember this old, old story ? Get a life people this guy is a joke.

April 12, 2011 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  2. Republicans Are The American Taliban

He bankrupted a casino three times! Isn't a casino where people come and just give you their money? Like when George Bush bankrupted an oil company, or when he traded away Sammy Sosa. Same perverted business ethic! Wake up America!!

April 12, 2011 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  3. SFC Mike

I don't think anyone's particularly "concerned" that he'll run – the guy is a narcissist and has found any time he runs his mouth about running for President, he gets media attention. It's just a game for the narcissist.

April 12, 2011 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  4. Laverne

A fool and his money will soon part!!!

April 12, 2011 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  5. Anne-Florida

This guy's ego and mouth are so large, he thinks he could be the King of anything.

April 12, 2011 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  6. Carolae

Donald should stick to what he knows.....building Casinos and having his own show on TV. He is not presidential material. Unless he sees running for president a nifty way to divert not paying some of his taxes, he should stay where he is. I like "The Donald" but not in the White House.

April 12, 2011 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  7. Whalio

The only way Trump could win is if he's under the GOP banner, and probably not even then.

April 12, 2011 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  8. notfooledbydistractions

What a joke. But thank you mr. trump, for making a second Obama term more possible.

I've tired of trumps overinflated ego years ago. He's nothing but another silver-spooner who has what he has because he won the gene lottery, not through his efforts. If you do your research, his inheritance from his family has drastically diminshed in his hands...not to mention his multiple bankruptcies. Seeing trump playing to the rubes is nothing but a testament to the pathetic state of the republican party.

April 12, 2011 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  9. Shari from Madison WI

This is disgusting! Trump is an overbearing rich snob who wants to make it so that there is no safety net for the poor and middle class. I agree with Bill Cosby, Trump is only good at running his mouth. Trump is considering running because he wants to protect the tax breaks he gets by attacking the middle class and the poor. Sure, he donates money to charities, but he only does that because he wants to look good. He is unfit to lead this country. He should just stay on his Apprentice Show and leave the country alone!

April 12, 2011 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  10. J Lee

I think Trump should run as an independent. Republicans are tied to military spending and christian conservatives. Both of which screw our view of the world. The party with the least amount of special interest and the most experience governing will win 2012. Go independent Trump.

April 12, 2011 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  11. A. Goodwin

Trump is obviously off his rocker. Seriously, he is either the most narcissistic man in America, or he's having a nervous breakdown. I am an independent, and I would not vote for this fool if my life depended on it! Who is he trying to fool? Fact is, there is only one thing that Trump cares about – WINNING. Actually working HARD for the American people to ensure a stable and prosperious life here in the USA...um, not so much.

April 12, 2011 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  12. jack

I wish you would run back to your "aclaimed" tv show and take Palin and Bachman, who are obvious apprentices, with you.
    And stop having people calling you "the Donald". It shows two things, you're ego-manical and its just plain stupid.

April 12, 2011 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  13. Anonymous

How will Donald govern America? He certainly can't run the government the same way he runs a business. The U.S. government is a democracy: one man one vote and the majority rules. A business is run like a monarchy or like the military, at best. Who does Trump think he's fooling? The American public, I guess.

April 12, 2011 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  14. GailS

How will Donald govern America? He certainly can't run the government the same way he runs a business. The U.S. government is a democracy: one man, one vote, and the majority rules. A business is run like a monarchy or like the military, at best. Who does Trump think he's fooling? The American public, I guess.

April 12, 2011 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  15. MaryD

ridiculous...even I could do a better job than Trump.

April 12, 2011 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  16. Randy, San Francisco

Trump will be the GOP/Tea Party's worst nighmare if he were to run as an independent. Is he so politically naive that he can't see or accept his independent run will take away votes from the GOP/Tea Party candidate? Maybe it is all about Trump and his billion dollar ego.

April 12, 2011 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  17. LizinStLouis

D. Trump is full of it which is a sure might be a total turn off for most people. At first he seemed like the kind of guy one would listen to and it seemed like he has good ideas. However, with this birther nonsense, and blowing his own trumpet about winning..is too much...He is rich but that does not guarantee him favor to get votes!! Plus he talks too much and talks people down..too many negatives!!!

April 12, 2011 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  18. Karma6338

Trump is a bully who is all about Trump. He will get his clock cleaned. As far a s being Obama's "worst nightmare", I'm sure Obama is not losing any sleep.

April 12, 2011 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  19. jay- MN

ladies and gentlemen I give you the next Ross Perot, keep up the good fight Trump!

April 12, 2011 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  20. gus

Blah, blah, blah. He has zero chance of winning – independent, republican, whatever. His bloated ego is talking again.

April 12, 2011 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  21. Michelle

Trump is full of himself if he thinks he is Obama's worse nightmare. Right now, I am waiting for just one serious adult republican to step up. All these cartoon characters spreading lies about Obama and ignoring the real problems we have in this country just will not cut it. How on earth can we make a choice when we get none? Our fiscal and economic problems require a deabte based upon facts so we can hear what options are available – not sort through this crazy birther stuff. How can republicans be believed on the real issues?

April 12, 2011 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  22. Cosmo

He later corrected this revelation saying, "What I meant to say was, there a lot of three year old thouroughbreds out there who are very concerned that I may run the Preakness."

April 12, 2011 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  23. B

I tihnk Trump actually wants Obama to win a 2nd term

April 12, 2011 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  24. Russ

Yea, Yea, Trump the Democrats are just hoping you, Palin or Bachmann get the nod. Guarantees another 4 years for Obama!

April 12, 2011 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  25. PTNY

This fool (DTrump) and his money will soon be easily parted. He thinks he can buy whatever he wants for a price...
    sit back and enjoy the show.

American born President Barack Obama will win the presidency again...Hail to the Chief!

April 12, 2011 10:07 am at 10:07 am |