DeMint doesn't want to be vice president
April 13th, 2011

DeMint doesn't want to be vice president

Washington (CNN) - Don't expect Republican Sen. Jim DeMint to petition for the No. 2 spot on the GOP presidential ticket in 2012.

"I have no interest in that," the South Carolina senator told National Review Online. "I would recommend against it. I am more of a change agent than a support actor."

"Somebody would have to be pretty desperate to do that," DeMint added.

The Tea Party favorite has also consistently shot down rumors that he might run for president.

Filed under: 2012 • Jim DeMint
  1. bcrunner

God help us! We don't want him either!!

April 13, 2011 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  2. one voice

Demint does'nt want to be VP? This NUT will NEVER be VP or POTUS, I bank on it.

April 13, 2011 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  3. willie floyd

I'd like to see him out of SC, but not in the White House. I had somewhere maybe in Libya, or AZ even, he would fit right in either place.

April 13, 2011 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  4. carlos

and who would want this imbecile as a running mate??????perhaps Napoleon if he was alive, remember the waterloo statement......

April 13, 2011 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  5. The Real Tom Paine

I would recommend against it, too, Senator. A supporter of nullification and states' rights is not someone who should be anywhere near the Executive Branch. The last time someone from your state was in that position, it almost triggered the Civil War 30 years ahead of schedule.

Will you be sponsoring a resolution honoring John C Calhoun anytime soon?

April 13, 2011 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  6. Terry

Of course not,he wants Potus! That way he can run the country like South Carolina?????? Don,t think I,m interested in poverty for myself,and have the country as poor as them! No Thanks!

April 13, 2011 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  7. ann

The republicans are ANGRY because they have been exposed. I did not understand anything they were saying. Everything the President said was truthful about the medicare, medicaid and education cuts. The republicians stated their plans last week. why are they upset that the President repeated what they had already said. the HIDING FOR THE REPUBLICIANS IS OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 13, 2011 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  8. Wire Palladin, S. F.

I agree with DeMint, I do not want to run for vice president either.

April 13, 2011 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  9. FRANK - LAS VEGAS

It's a good thing he doesn't want to be VP because he never will be, God willing. Here's another rethuglican who has a very hard time telling the truth, about anything! He would rather just make stuff up that sounds good to the extreme right, you know, those Tea Bagger folks who believe anything a rethuglican says because they are too lazy to do any research on a subject, just like sheep following their leader off a cliff.

April 13, 2011 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  10. Roscoe

I don't think he should lose much sleep over it. I think he's got the same chance of being VP as Trump has of being president. Plus, I'm thinking Trump would choose Bachman as his VP on the Freak Show Ticket.

April 13, 2011 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  11. Video Guy

They are really jumping ahead of themselves. First they need brains, 2nd get the clowns of the tickets (i.e. Brackman, sarah,Trump, etc. Then they need a plan.

April 13, 2011 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  12. Bill

It's just as well that he's not gunning for POTUS; the man hasn't a chance in hell of being elected.

April 13, 2011 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  13. BeverlyNC

He does need to worry about that. We don't let ignorant racists in those jobs.

April 13, 2011 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  14. once upon a horse

you don't have to worry DimWit I don't think President Obama is going to replace Biden in 2012 anyway.

April 13, 2011 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  15. JoeW

That's good because nobody other than total dim wits would even consider this nut case.

April 13, 2011 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  16. C. Howe Yulikit

I doubt Obama would want him for the job, considering that given the current GOP Presidential hopefuls, he's a shoe in for another 4 years.

April 13, 2011 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  17. ConservaFascists/FUBAR

I don't want you to be a senator nor a member of Congress Demint.

April 13, 2011 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  18. Rickster

DeMint shouldn't be the vice-president. He should be the President. And after DeMint's 8 years then Vice-president Alan West should take over for the next 8 years.

April 13, 2011 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  19. LibSub

Tea-partiers, conservatives and today's GOP want a dictatorship, not a democracy. Under that scenario, you don't need a VP.

April 13, 2011 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  20. michaelam

Note to Senator Demented:
    Your chances of being elected to anything outside of the poverty stricken state of SC are slim and none! The only votes that you would capture on either side of the Mason-Dixon line would come from the "fat, drunk, and stupid" crowd. The same can be said about Boss Hawg, Barbour!

Brain Bleach! Stat! Just had an awful vision--those two hicks capturing the GOP/Teahadist nomination and running on the same ticket! The Southern Strategy in our faces!

April 13, 2011 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  21. T'sah from Virginia

!st Spot – 2nd Spot – Either one will be President and/or Vice President!!!

April 13, 2011 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  22. Rick McDaniel

He said it right......he is NOT a yes man.

April 13, 2011 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  23. Ken

I think McCain and DeMint should run for President and Vice Presodent of Afghanistan. They would make a sweep couple over there.

April 13, 2011 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |