Trump says he has good relationship with 'the blacks'
April 14th, 2011

Trump says he has good relationship with 'the blacks'

Washington (CNN) - As he continues to mull a presidential bid, or say he is mulling a presidential bid, business mogul Donald Trump is lamenting the fact President Obama appears to have locked up the black vote.

"I have a great relationship with the blacks," Trump told Albany's Talk Radio 1300 Thursday. "I've always had a great relationship with the blacks."

But Trump says it's a "very sad thing" such a high percentage of that demographic supports President Obama, for reasons, he believes, that are largely influenced by race. The discussion was spawned by a recent poll of New York voters that found 95 percent of black voters there approve of the president's job performance. The same poll found that the president's overall approval rating in New York stands at 54 percent.

"Look at Hillary Clinton," the reality television star continued in reference to the 2008 Democratic presidential primary race. "Hillary Clinton did so much for the black population, so much and got very few votes."

"Look, I tell it like it is," he added. "Then you hear a political reporter go on and say, 'It had nothing to do with race.' But how come she got such a tiny piece of the vote. It's a very sad thing."

Filed under: 2012 • Donald Trump
  1. Charlie from the North

First of all, I'm not a politician but but if I was trying to show that I wasn't a racist the first thing I would do is talk to some people in the groups I was trying to lead. "the blacks"?? really.......... "the blacks"? Come on Donald.

Hey CNN you better watch it or the knuckle draggers will start whining because you are treating Donald un-fairly. How is it unfair to report what a person says. As Stephen Colbert observes "the truth has a well know liberal slant"

April 14, 2011 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  2. kayla

donald please stay out the spotlight,

April 14, 2011 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  3. Greg

Doug sorry...but no the black vote is not "Monolithic". The problem with Republicans...(Tea Partiers included) is that there always seems to be an undercurrent of racism with whatever comes out of their mouths. Trump..."The Blacks". Tea Partiers (Obama is a muslim, he is not one of us, we need to take this country back). I've even witnessed Tea Party signs that said...."The White House is White for a reason." (Google it in qoutes) Maybe that is why black people and other people of color will not vote for Republicans. How about that for making it really simple. Until the Republicans start being a little more inclusive my guess as that Blacks will always vote the opposite of Republican.

April 14, 2011 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  4. Anonymous

Wow, really? As a young black woman using ther terminiology "The Blacks" comes off offensive. Maybe you should say "The black or african american community". That's more politically correct.

April 14, 2011 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  5. Dboy009

Who are the the blacks? As an african american, I choose to vote for the person who has my best interert at heart. The one who has not forgotten the little man. I live in Michigan and look at our govener, going right after the little man. Pay attention.

April 14, 2011 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  6. Los

Wow WTH is wrong with this guy. He has no concept of reality.

April 14, 2011 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  7. Charlie from the North

Donald you may be good at business, or at least good at looking like you are good a business. I can't quite decide on who your constituents would be. You say you want to be an independent but you allk like a birther

You want the conservative vote but you say "' she got such a tiny piece of the vote. It's a very sad thing." No conservative wants to hear that Hilary not getting votes was a bad thing. You will not get the true religious conservative vote because they know you are libratarian or you used to play one on TV.

April 14, 2011 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |