Trump says he has good relationship with 'the blacks'
April 14th, 2011

Trump says he has good relationship with 'the blacks'

Washington (CNN) - As he continues to mull a presidential bid, or say he is mulling a presidential bid, business mogul Donald Trump is lamenting the fact President Obama appears to have locked up the black vote.

"I have a great relationship with the blacks," Trump told Albany's Talk Radio 1300 Thursday. "I've always had a great relationship with the blacks."

But Trump says it's a "very sad thing" such a high percentage of that demographic supports President Obama, for reasons, he believes, that are largely influenced by race. The discussion was spawned by a recent poll of New York voters that found 95 percent of black voters there approve of the president's job performance. The same poll found that the president's overall approval rating in New York stands at 54 percent.

"Look at Hillary Clinton," the reality television star continued in reference to the 2008 Democratic presidential primary race. "Hillary Clinton did so much for the black population, so much and got very few votes."

"Look, I tell it like it is," he added. "Then you hear a political reporter go on and say, 'It had nothing to do with race.' But how come she got such a tiny piece of the vote. It's a very sad thing."

Filed under: 2012 • Donald Trump
  1. djw

Not with me!!!!!!

April 14, 2011 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  2. George Guadiane - Austerlitz, NY

If Donald Trump had a brain as big as his ego, he might just be able to lead a (small) country.
    He doesn't. He's not ready for "prime time" America.

April 14, 2011 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  3. Tina

He really did not say " with the blacks" because as a white woman that irritates me.

April 14, 2011 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  4. JM

Being an advocate for the Birther Movement equals not serious about becoming President.

April 14, 2011 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  5. emma

Trump, again shows his pattern of jumping to conclusions that make little or no sense. He should be given the Blowhard Award.

April 14, 2011 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  6. kgh

well I think everyone can agree on two things if the donald runs:

1. He will continually put is foot in his mouth
    2. His campaign will be the source of good entertainment

April 14, 2011 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  7. Martha in CF

Trump, you are so full of yourself. Go sit down.

April 14, 2011 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  8. Rudy NYC

What are "the blacks"? He makes it sound so foul. Besides, Donald is re-writing history.

Bill Clinton blew the black vote for Hillary with his own mouth. Anybody remember Bill's "black candidate" remarks in South Carolina just prior to the first primaries? He blew it. Black vote had been pretty much split between Obama and Clinton. Bill lost not only the black vote, but a lot of white votes along with it.

April 14, 2011 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  9. ted

Donald, we are still awaiting the results of your investigation in to Barack Obama's birth. You sent investigators to Hawaii. What have they come up with? Come on big boy, tell us. OR just shut the hell up and get on with real issues that real people are concerned about. Oh that's right, you are rich and have no idea what real people think or need or want or anything.

April 14, 2011 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  10. Dave Jaipersaud

Quoting Trump "Look, I tell it like it is," he added. "Then you hear a political reporter go on and say, 'It had nothing to do with race." I guess the "birthers' and the "tea-party folks" dislike for Obama has nothing to do with race as well. Trump must think that he can have it both ways.

April 14, 2011 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  11. me

Wow, just wow.

April 14, 2011 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  12. ...

"The Blacks"??? Is he serious?

No wonder he's a birther!

April 14, 2011 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  13. Doug

Did Obama really get more of the black vote than any other Democrat? Sorry but the black vote is monolithic, it is all Democrat all the time. There is no appealing to it, or campaigning for it, it is what it is. As for the results of putting all your eggs in one basket, well look at the areas that have had complete Democrat control for the last 4 or 5 decades like Detroit, you can decide if this is foolish or a smart way to vote.

April 14, 2011 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  14. Liz

I agree, Tina! I think he has the words president and king confused.

April 14, 2011 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  15. RB

Why is Trump orange? Is he going for the orange colored people votes? What a sad frickin country this has become.

April 14, 2011 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  16. w l jones

Colored people always have voted for president even before George Washington the first under the constitution. ..and all of those there after.

April 14, 2011 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  17. mike

He also has a good relationship with "the idiots"

April 14, 2011 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  18. O H I O

Trump is spot on here – the black population is the ONLY demographic that votes 9 out of 10 Democratic (or any way for that matter) – it is sad – sad in the fact that the least educated population is determining who is the most powerful man in the world – only in America! Makes no sense.....but nothing will change..they are 'brothas and sistas' and NEED to stick together – unless it calls for marrying the women who had your 5 kids.....................!

April 14, 2011 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  19. Lisa P

The only "sad thing" I see is that anyone takes this fool seriously as a Presidential candidate wannabe. Though I guess it gives all the know-nothings something to talk about, so there's that.

April 14, 2011 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  20. Enough Already

"The Blacks" You know, that family on "Curb Your Enthusiasm" LOL

April 14, 2011 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  21. Willa-PA

For a rich man, he's pretty dumb...

April 14, 2011 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  22. once upon a horse

for some reason I am expecting Trump to use the "you people" phrase that made Ross Perot so famous. As I said before myself....I use to like and admire Donald Trump, but NOT anymore.

April 14, 2011 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  23. excitizen

Jeez! I wonder what "the Blacks" think about that!? What an ultra-moron!
    With the history of the US and how they've treated blacks throughout history, what is wrong with their pride overflowing for the first black president and voting for him? That's not racisum, it's pride. Maybe what Mr. Moron should be asking is, how many democratic whites didn't vote for him because he was black – that's racisum!!
    oh, and btw, I'm white and I was proud of him! Not so much now, with all of his giving in to the Repugnants, but I was at the time.

April 14, 2011 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  24. Doug

"I guess the "birthers' and the "tea-party folks" dislike for Obama has nothing to do with race"

That is not a guess that is fact. Tea party people are the Americans who live by Dr. King's words, judge not by color but by charecter. Looking objectively at a majority of Dems in this nation and you can see why the last thing they would ever want is to be judged by their charecter.

April 14, 2011 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  25. JSB

Does he really think anyone would consider him for the job. His ego and hair won't fit in the Whitehouse, despite the lack of a brain.

April 14, 2011 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |