Trump says he has good relationship with 'the blacks'
April 14th, 2011

Trump says he has good relationship with 'the blacks'

Washington (CNN) - As he continues to mull a presidential bid, or say he is mulling a presidential bid, business mogul Donald Trump is lamenting the fact President Obama appears to have locked up the black vote.

"I have a great relationship with the blacks," Trump told Albany's Talk Radio 1300 Thursday. "I've always had a great relationship with the blacks."

But Trump says it's a "very sad thing" such a high percentage of that demographic supports President Obama, for reasons, he believes, that are largely influenced by race. The discussion was spawned by a recent poll of New York voters that found 95 percent of black voters there approve of the president's job performance. The same poll found that the president's overall approval rating in New York stands at 54 percent.

"Look at Hillary Clinton," the reality television star continued in reference to the 2008 Democratic presidential primary race. "Hillary Clinton did so much for the black population, so much and got very few votes."

"Look, I tell it like it is," he added. "Then you hear a political reporter go on and say, 'It had nothing to do with race.' But how come she got such a tiny piece of the vote. It's a very sad thing."

Filed under: 2012 • Donald Trump
  1. LA

Why does no one talk about this man's constant abuse of bronzer?

April 14, 2011 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  2. Chris

Wow! It's becoming obvious that people are seriously afraid of Trump running. Every day CNN tries to perform a hatchet job on him. It's starting to backfire in the polls.

April 14, 2011 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  3. Larry L

This reminds me of in the 50's when my racist relatives in East Texas wanted to sound like something other than ignorant white trash. They would refer to their neighbors as "the colored". In private they had a different word. They didn't live long enough to see an African American President but I'm pretty certain they'd have been Tea party enthusiasts...

April 14, 2011 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  4. Sniffit

"Sorry but the black vote is monolithic, it is all Democrat all the time. There is no appealing to it, or campaigning for it, it is what it is"

Are you really making excuses for the GOP's blatant bigotry-pandering and "Southern Strategery" approach to dividing the American voters? Seriously? What freekin planet are you from? "The blacks" don't vote Dem because "that's just the way it is" or because "Dems buy their votes with welfare." The GOP's policies and behavior for the past 60 years has alienated the entire black community...and the GOP, in turn, had obviously already (or at least when they realized how hopeless they'd made it for themselves) given up on gaining any of it, turning instead to the types of people who believe birther nonsense or that interracial marriage shoudl be illegal or that every single person receiving welfare and food stamps is a black woman in the inner city churning out babies for better gummint benefits checks so she can sit on the couch all day watching Oprah. You people are sick and the GOP/conservative/Teatard freak-out for the past 2 years over the demographich breakdown of the vote for Obama and the studies showing the inevitable demographic shifts in the next couple decades is with good reason: you've hanged yourselves with exactly the kinds of comments you just made...it's just that the noose hasn't quite tightened fully yet.

April 14, 2011 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  5. alex

"the blacks"?!!!
    that says is all Trump.

April 14, 2011 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  6. hopeismyname

someone as rich as "the Donald" should be able to afford a good fake tan – he his pink rings around his eyes and everything else is orange! Hard to take his words seriously when he glows! and his words aren't so impressive either!

April 14, 2011 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  7. Dave

I'm white. Maybe that's why I don't like Trump?

Everybody I know thinks Trump's an idiot and a clown, and I know lots of black people. Trump is just an attention-seeking joke. He's not even a good businessman, having gone bankrupt over and over again. He did business with Ghaddafi, a terrorist leader, and then bragged on how he rips off his customers. And yet he wants control of the economy? Who's stupid enough to vote for this guy? Besides the Tea Party, I mean?

Why can't Donald Trump finish a book? He keeps hitting chapter eleven and having to start all over.

April 14, 2011 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  8. Anonymous

I'm sure some of his "best Friends" are Black! I'm sure little green men like him as well. Please run Donald- I can't wait for the press to vet you!

April 14, 2011 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  9. Howard

What puzzles me is why the media hangs on every word of this egotistical BLAH BLAH BLAH BLOWHARD!!

April 14, 2011 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  10. Big Al

If we look at the black population in the US, the majority are unemployed, uneducated, behind bars and living on welfare. Most white educated individuals would agree that they hold back our country economically. This is the sad truth.

If the Donald runs for president and wins, he will try to encourage them to go back to Africa.

April 14, 2011 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  11. Andi

NOT FOR LONG DONALD....NOT FOR LONG.....the more you attack him, the harder we come together. Nobody has ever asked a President to produce proof of U.S. Citizenship. It's like asking a slave for his papers and smacks of racism. Don't you think that is vetted in the beginning? Take your ignorant azz some where and sit down and shut up until you can come up with something intelligent to say. Americans want solutions. WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO? GTFOH.

April 14, 2011 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  12. EM in Minnesota

This man is as big a joke as Michelle Bachmann. He may be a businessman, but he's bankrupted his companies twice...that doesn't sound like a GOOD businessman! How does that make him fit to lead the country? He is an idiot with delusions of grandeur (his own!).

April 14, 2011 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  13. s2s

judging from that photo, Trump probably has a pretty good relationship with the Oranges, too.

April 14, 2011 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  14. Howard

Trump is a comedian's dream. The man is a walking punchline!!!!

April 14, 2011 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  15. Jimmyjam

By the term "the backs" I think he referring to Amorosa.

April 14, 2011 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  16. GrogInOhio

"with the blacks"?? Really? Remind anyone else of Ross Perot's "You people!"?

April 14, 2011 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  17. Dominican mama 4 Obama

II gotta say that as ignorant as he sounds, Trump is no racist. He sees only one color: the color of money, and he will rip-off a Rockefeller just as quickly as he would one of "The Blacks" just to get his hands on it.

Trump is sitting at home thinking: "If I invest $20million of someone else's moneya to fake a run for the presidency, how much can I get back in personal and corporate revenue form the PUBLICITY that I can generate in so doing?".
    This is what this whole Trump Dump is all about: publicity. Trump is a MASTER at it, no doubt about that.

April 14, 2011 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  18. twan

I can't think of anything he has done for african americans. So how can he say he has a good relationship with blacks I'm a black man

April 14, 2011 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  19. Sherry

Donald Trump is a "CLOWN". Why waste time and money on him? Anyone with a shred of common sense would not waste their vote on Trump. We finally see what he is, IGNORANT!!!!

April 14, 2011 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  20. Kay

I'm curious about this 95% of blacks in New York versus 54% of people statewide approving of the President. Isn't it true that the majority of the black population in New York resides in the city and downstate where most are democratic and liberal in general (regardless of skin color), whereas the upstate population is mostly conservative and also mostly white? So... when you separate out a group the way that it is here, I think it would be fair to say that this could also be about the location of the people and their preferred party and not necessarily about skin color... but then I guess Trump wouldn't have a soundbite.

April 14, 2011 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  21. Ray Mosley

It's a sad thing that so many whites did not vote for him because he is black. What Donald does not understand is that bat swings both ways.

April 14, 2011 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  22. JEANNE

Who ever told this man he knows anything about politics – Donald Trump and Sara Palin are proof positive – you need no brains to get rich!

April 14, 2011 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  23. Andi

You know, I would respect the far right more if they just came out and said we don't want a black leader in the White House. What you are doing to NOT say that, says it all the more louder. Kick rocks. If I were him, I'd tell them to take the White House and shove it, take my wife and kids back to Chicago or Hawaii and consider this a bad nightmare. Let them run this mofo into the ground. The President didn't create this mess, but he sure will get the blame for it.

April 14, 2011 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  24. dmnewberg

Donald, don't feel bad about Obama having the black vote. Republican candidates have a large share of the white vote for similar reasons.

April 14, 2011 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  25. JustMe

OMG ... I can't believe he said that. Even coming from The Donald that is a shocking sign of disrespect. And give me a break, he can't really believe that segment of the population would vote for him?? Especially since he is questioning the citizenship of the first african-american president. I mean I'm a 42-year old white woman who was born and raised and still lives in the south (Atlanta) and I found that insulting (of course unlike some of my other southern counterparts, I am a open-minded, moderate, independent and always have been).

April 14, 2011 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |