Trump says he has good relationship with 'the blacks'
April 14th, 2011

Trump says he has good relationship with 'the blacks'

Washington (CNN) - As he continues to mull a presidential bid, or say he is mulling a presidential bid, business mogul Donald Trump is lamenting the fact President Obama appears to have locked up the black vote.

"I have a great relationship with the blacks," Trump told Albany's Talk Radio 1300 Thursday. "I've always had a great relationship with the blacks."

But Trump says it's a "very sad thing" such a high percentage of that demographic supports President Obama, for reasons, he believes, that are largely influenced by race. The discussion was spawned by a recent poll of New York voters that found 95 percent of black voters there approve of the president's job performance. The same poll found that the president's overall approval rating in New York stands at 54 percent.

"Look at Hillary Clinton," the reality television star continued in reference to the 2008 Democratic presidential primary race. "Hillary Clinton did so much for the black population, so much and got very few votes."

"Look, I tell it like it is," he added. "Then you hear a political reporter go on and say, 'It had nothing to do with race.' But how come she got such a tiny piece of the vote. It's a very sad thing."

Filed under: 2012 • Donald Trump
  1. jo

Too bad he doesn't have a good relationship with self-tanner :(

April 14, 2011 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  2. Politicians are Angels and Teachers are now Devils according to the gospel of GOP Tea Party

with "the blacks"? now that's rich!

Keep talking & insert foot air-raiser Trump!...continue to display before the whole world your stupidity!!
    I'm glad the GOP-Tea Party will be soo glad for giving you a platform as the president of the birther movement!!!

still waiting on the results of your WMD's fact-finding investigation of President Obama birth certificate! Ask GW Dubya how that WMD's worked out for him!!!

April 14, 2011 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  3. Godstar

Holly cow, he needs to reapply his bronzer! He's got raccoon eyes!

April 14, 2011 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  4. Matt

Doug, there is nothing stopping your team from competing for more votes from black people. It is not the fault of black people that your candidates have chosen not to do so.

April 14, 2011 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  5. AudreyinGa

I am pretty sure his good relationship with "the blacks" is over with now, unless he is paying them very well.

April 14, 2011 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  6. ChumBucket

What ever. So now the Don is a racist?

Is that what we are to take away from this story?

April 14, 2011 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  7. Patman

that kind of condescending attitude toward black people is the very reason why black people, for the most part, don't vote Republican. Asking black people why we don't vote Republican is like asking people who have been bitten by snakes why they don't like snakes.

April 14, 2011 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  8. Johnson

wow. @Doug, Detroit lost alot when company's went over sea's, they way Detroit is now has nothing to do wilth whether or not it is Dem or Rep. I hate saying Black of White people, we are all just people with the SAME desires, we both have good and bad within our race.

April 14, 2011 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  9. Ray

Doug, even IF that's the case, "The Donald" shouldn't be callin African Americans "The Blacks." I don't think "the independents" –who decide most elections– like ignorance. Trump may have money, but he has no class.

April 14, 2011 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  10. Brandon

TRUMP!

This guy knows exactly how to lock up the radical right vote!

Too bad he's a liberal decoy meant to Perot the eff out of the 2012 election...

April 14, 2011 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  11. Jay

I'm white, and find Trump's comment offensive.

April 14, 2011 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  12. BlackPanthers2020

So what are you saying @Doug

April 14, 2011 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  13. Kirk1

I have refrained from commenting for quite sometime, but Trump's saying "the blacks" is just like folks saying "hey, gal." Brings to mind the ol' southerner sitting on a porch, with a straw of hay in his mouth, a sweaty hat and a wife beater shirt on yelling this out. President Obama won the presidential election because he is a very smart and pragmatic man, thinks before making decisions, and has more class in his little toe than Donald Trump has in his whole being. Goodness gracious! God bless our wonderful president and his family, and God Bless America!

April 14, 2011 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  14. Retired Army in San Antonio

What Trump stated is basically a slap in the face to Black voters. 95% of Blacks support Obama.....but the Democratic Presidential nominee historically gets 90% of the Black vote.

The bottom line is that any Democratic Presidential nominee is gonna get about 90% of the Black vote because Blacks are the most loyal of Democratic voters. That Obama gets an additional 5% really shouldn't surprise anyone......but because he gets an extra 5%, Trump comes to the conclusion that 'most' Blacks support Obama just because he's Black.

Anyone who suscribes to that simple-minded notion doesn't deserve the Black vote.

What an idiot!

And oh yeah......."The Blacks"????

April 14, 2011 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  15. Shabazz from Detroit

Well what is new? Obama/Bush are one in the same! Donald Trump the "3 time Bankruptcy King" is going to LEAD Amerikkka out of DEBT! LOL..... WTF.... poor/working class Black Dems & poor working class White Repugs ARE ONE IN THE SAME! DUMB SHEEP THAT BUYS HOOK LINE & SINKER THEIR PARTIES SPIN LINE!

Why dont poor/working class Black Dems?White Repugs TRY TURNING OFF THE TV & READ MORE..... GET ON THE INTERNET & INVESTIGATE HOW THE POLS IN BOTH PARTIES TAKE THE LOBBYIST MONEY! THATS THE ONE AREA WHERE THEY ARE BI-PARTISAN TO THE DEATH! HA!!!!

I am a TRUE INDEPENDENT African-Amaerican who has yet to have his ISSUES ADDRESSED BY EITHER PARTY!

REPARATIONS..... & Bill Clinton PLAYED THE RACE CARD IN 1992!

April 14, 2011 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  16. Please, please, please . . . .

Run in all the Republic primaries.

I

April 14, 2011 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  17. Retired Army in San Antonio

djw.....I guess you're not 'Black' enough to have trump consider you as one of "The Blacks" (LOL) !

April 14, 2011 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  18. Ferret out the B.S.

African Americans have long stated that they are primarily ignored and denigrated by white politicians that pander to them during the campaign leave them flat after. So who can blame them for looking to the current president for salvation. I doubt they'll be looking at the Donald or any other ultra conservative white GOP candidate when election time comes around. DT, you're not an idiot but you sure don't offer much in the way of change or hope for that matter and you sound extremely conceited. Who would want you in charge of this extremely diverse country?

April 14, 2011 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  19. Patweazle

'The Blacks'???... WT*...?... This almost sounds like ' I'm not a racist – I have "a Black" working for me'.
    Well, Donald, open up wide so we can try to get that foot back out.

April 14, 2011 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  20. Doc Ray

Too bad he didn't say "the coloreds" :). I'm one of them and I don't seem any relationship with the Donald.

All this is besides the point. Donald needs to explain why so many of his businesses filed for bankruptcy and why he sued a bank for wanting its $40 paid back. Talk about fiscal responsibility! Quit talking about "the blacks," Donald, and tell us where "the bucks" went.

April 14, 2011 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  21. Dee

I used to be a big Donald Trump fan and now everytime I see him I feel like I need to wash my eyeballs. Isn't there some big gold and diamond encrusted hole we can throw him in?

April 14, 2011 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  22. Me

@Donald Trump :) lol, no you don't... I know what you are thinking and, again, NO, YOU DON'T!
    White people think you are a braying donkey
    Black people think you are a braying donkey
    WE ALL THINK YOU ARE A JACKASS!
    Don't get it twisted, you're a joke. If you run you are a joke. If you DON'T run...YOU ARE STILL A JOKE!

Good luck though. I hope you do run. I need the laughter in my life

April 14, 2011 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  23. Curtis

Oh Donald you never fail to impress me with your ability to FAIL. Hopefully you'll go bankrupt again by the time the election rolls around.

Doug
    You are so right because places under Republican control like Alabama or Mississippi have been doing fantastic. See what I did there?

April 14, 2011 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  24. Marjee123

Not better that Clinton and Obama beat Hillary. Trump is the most dilusional individual I have ever seen. Just because he throws his weight around he thinks he can boss and belittle every body.

April 14, 2011 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  25. terry,va

I don't know why Trump would worry about the black vote. They go with the dumbocrap 90% of the time. I'll leave the reason why they do to your speculation. Their % did increase some with Obummie. So in any event, the most any repub is going to get is 10%. Why bother?

April 14, 2011 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |