Hoekstra passes on Senate bid
April 15th, 2011

Hoekstra passes on Senate bid

Washington (CNN) - Republican Pete Hoekstra is taking a pass at the opportunity to challenge Michigan Sen. Debbie Stabenow, the former 9-term congressman announced Friday.

"After serious consideration and many discussions with friends and supporters, Diane and I have made the decision that I will not be a candidate for the United States Senate in 2012," Hoekstra wrote in an e-mail to supporters. "This was an extremely difficult decision for us to make as we saw strong points both for and against running. However, in our final analysis, we agreed that it was not in the best interest of our family at this time to enter the race."

Hoekstra chose to forgo reelection in 2010 to instead run for governor, but lost in the primary.

Filed under: Michigan • Peter Hoekstra
  1. Dave

In other words, Hoekstra knows that Stabenow will beat him and he doesn't want to be beaten yet again...

April 15, 2011 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  2. Phil in KC

"best interest of our family". That means one of two things. Either, "I have skeletons in the closet I don't want revealed" or "I don't want to take a beating in the election."

April 15, 2011 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  3. realitybites

Has anyone but me noticed a trend here? "I'll pass on runnig for president" or "I'll pass on running for senator", etc by prominent Republicans who wouild probably have a better chance than the riff raff left overs that are not passing or at least can't say whether they will or not. Honestly, from my standpoint as a moderate democrat, it looks to me to be the old gard GOP contenders who maybe a little shy about being cobbled together w/ the wackos who have tea party ties. They just don't have the stomach to get into the clown car and take a ride and be seen as one of them. Don't be surprised if you start seeing moderate repubs start switching sides again like they did when Dems took over last time. Honestly the GOP, I think, is having a real identity crisis which is funny b/c that same point was made about he Dems not too long ago. A lot of us in the middle are just soooo fed up w/ the extremes of both sides and the alternate party is even worse (libertarians included). God give us direction and a better choice that MOST of us can make. Whose up for a new political party? Anyone? The Common Sense party.

April 15, 2011 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  4. steven harnack

In other words, he doesn't want to lose the job that he has, it has good benefits and all that he has to do is say "NO" every so often.

April 15, 2011 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  5. Former Republican, now an Independent

Having lived in Michigan, I can attest that Pete Hoekstra isn't even in a league with an intelligent Senator like Debbie Stabenow. Hoekstra has always been a follower of whatever the republican ideology is and never a leader or self-thinker. Stabenow on the other hand, looks out for the common citizen, no matter who she has to cross. I only wish we had a Senator like Debbie Stabenow in Tennessee, instead of the two fanatical neo-con followers we are stuck with.

April 15, 2011 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  6. C. Howe Yulikit

"After serious consideration and many discussions with friends and supporters, it looks like I would get slaughtered in a statewide election because apparently my 2006 statement that the Pentagon found WMDs in Iraq was a complete fallacy and well people just aren't as stupid as they used to be."

April 15, 2011 11:58 am at 11:58 am |