Trump lashes out at George W. Bush and Obama
April 16th, 2011

Trump lashes out at George W. Bush and Obama

Palm Beach, Florida (CNN) – Donald Trump has more harsh criticism for one of the most recognizable men in the world: George W. Bush.

In a display of bipartisan bashing, Trump lashed out at the nation's 43rd president as he criticized the 44th.

"George Bush gave us Barack Obama. If it weren't for George Bush, we wouldn't have Barack Obama," Trump said on Friday. "So I'm not thrilled with George Bush."

The billionaire real estate mogul made the comments at his famed Palm Beach estate Mar-a-Lago that sits on 20 acres and boasts 126 rooms. The star of NBC's "The Apprentice" spoke to reporters in a hastily arranged news conference moments before a posh, poolside party at the estate and hours before he was to speak at a Tea Party rally.

Trump was pressed to explain his comments.

"Because he[Bush] didn't have a great presidency, especially at the end. And because of his actions, and because of his aura, it was very tough for a Republican to win," Trump said. "And in all fairness to John McCain and to Sarah Palin, I think it would have been very, very tough for anybody – for Abraham Lincoln – to win after having followed George Bush."

Trump has previously let out harsh criticism of the 43rd president.

In a March 2007 interview with CNN's Wolf Blitzer, Trump said, "Well, I think Bush is probably the worst president in the history of the United States." He cited the war in Iraq, calling it a "total disaster" and added later: "Look, everything in Washington has been a lie. Weapons of mass destruction - it was a total lie. It was a way of attacking Iraq."

Trump now sees Obama as deserving that notorious distinction, calling him "the worst president in the history of the United States." Among other items, Trump reasoned that the president has not done well handling foreign affairs, such as the conflict in Libya, and that "Obamacare" is bad for the country.

Headlining a Tea Party rally in Boca Raton on Saturday, Trump will make his first appearance at a campaign-like political rally this year. The rally will mirror others across the country over the weekend as conservative activists protest government spending days before Monday's deadline to file taxes.

Media and public interest in Trump has recently increased as he's questioned President Obama's birthplace. And his popularity with Tea Party activists has also increased. The reality television star boasted that interest in Saturday's rally ballooned after it was announced that he would appear.

"It was supposed to be 300 people," he said. "When they heard I was speaking, I heard it's going to be anywhere from five-to-ten thousand people."

And yet Trump has publicly supported one issue that Tea Party activists despise: the bank bailout. When asked if he can win Tea Party support given his support for this issue, Trump demurred from a direct response.

"Well I actually think the tea party is more of a party of common sense."

Follow Shannon Travis on Twitter: @ShanTravisCNN

Filed under: 2012 • Donald Trump • Florida
  1. gwb

Trump: the worst Presidential candidate in the history of the United States.

April 16, 2011 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  2. Patty - Illinois

I agree completely with what Letterman said the other night regarding Trump's rant questioning President Obama's legality as president. He said that Trump had some issues of his own regarding his birth . He said something like "Trump is half Jack and half Ass." Personally I think he is an example of a low-life having everthing in his life that money can buy .... now he is going after the Presidency. I wonder how the righteous Republicans view his bedroom immoral activity? When he got Marla pregnant she carried a wedding dress around with her every where she went hoping that he would marry her .... which he eventually did, but dumpted her for a prettier model. What a prince! Who would ever trust this weird duck????

April 16, 2011 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  3. Leslie

Mrs. and Mrs. Trump gave us Donald Trump. So right now I don't like Mr. and Mrs. Trump!

April 16, 2011 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  4. Pat

Oh and by the way, be sure to buy my books, watch my tv show, buy a fancypants apartment from me, and stop in at our casino. Trump Trump Trump. Playing the media and winning all the way to the bank with no intentions of ever being president. That's a job for the hired help.

April 16, 2011 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  5. Greenspam

If I were in the show Apprentice, I would fire myself if Trump chose me the be the final winner. I honestly cannot work for a 2-face man like Trump.

April 16, 2011 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  6. Indy

Trump has yet to say anything intellegent, he is just spewing what the tea party wants to hear and he will never get Independants,Dems or Republicans in general. He will have his little fan base and never gain momenteum beyond that. He is braindead when it comes to global business and has no clue at all how to run a country. His foreign policy experience is zero other then ripping off governments around the world with his real estate scams. World leaders laugh at him and you can't deal with heads of state like Trump does on his little TV show. He has been financially bankrupt and is morally bankrupt and has zero skills for the highest jon in the land

April 16, 2011 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  7. NATHAN WIMBERLY

Just keep talkin like Snooki Palin does. Join her hidden in her foxhole.

April 16, 2011 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  8. bill

How dare you compare President Bush to uhbama. uhbama is easily the worst president ever!

April 16, 2011 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  9. John Cougar

Americans, you shall shy away from candidates (i.e.Palin and Trump) that uses words to offend US presidents. Stick to people such as Mccain, Clinton, Obama..

April 16, 2011 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  10. Lisa

Prejudice people never cease to amaze me.....

April 16, 2011 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  11. Anonymous

They should put Donald Trump and Charlie Sheen on a show together. They could duke it out over who is the smartest, most loved, biggest draw man on earth, I mean universe. I don't think there will ever be two men with a more bloated egos. What a joke they both are.

Go ahead and run Donald, if that is what you really want to do. I guess we'll find out as soon as your show ends and you aren't pimping for ratings. Obama will get a landslide against you.

April 16, 2011 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  12. Alberto

Yes, and I'm also angry at GWB for giving us Donald Trump. If GWB did not set such low standards for presidency, we wouldn't see this garbage mouthing-off and throwing our president under the bus. It will be a sad day for this great country, the day the likes of this guy is president.

April 16, 2011 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  13. beth60

wow – he looks like a figure in a wax museum in this pic...

April 16, 2011 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  14. Politicians are Angels and Teachers are now Devils according to the gospel of GOP Tea Party

Trump has officially replaced Palin!....one hair-raiser replacing another airhead. nothing to see here!!!!

April 16, 2011 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  15. rationalintn

"Headlining a Tea Party rally in Boca Raton on Saturday, Trump will make his first appearance at a campaign-like political rally this year."

A TEA Party rally in Boca Raton? Boca Raton? What is the median income of Boca Raton? So a bunch of rich folks are holding a rally to complain that they are taxed enough already? This really speaks volumes about the Tea Party.

April 16, 2011 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  16. asrael

The Cartoon speaks: cue the laugh track...

April 16, 2011 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  17. Susan

Trump-Palin 2012
    A new reality show with reality show stars.

I dont think GOP wants me back. They keep on giving crap leaders.

April 16, 2011 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  18. Business

I can't say if Trump would be a good president or not. However, I believe what the United States needs is a business man -not a politician- to run the country out of this deficit. Trump possesses the skills necessary to make us more financially stable. Trump will not allow the Dollar to lose its complete value, which is what is going to happen if it is not the world's reserve currency. There have already been meetings held by other countries to rid the Dollar.

April 16, 2011 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  19. JUAN TORRES

this guy is a joke thrump now any shmuck with a little money made by the sweat of hard working people who lost theyr homes can run for president shame on you if you bote for this clown and get us deeper in the hole that whe are in a rather vote for pewe herman for that mather ta least a will get a laugh from him

April 16, 2011 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  20. Larry L

His latest strategy is amusing. As he pretends to be a "conserva-liberal", he hammers poor old "W" and President Obama. He hopes to get support from all of those Republicans who now pretend the GOP of the Bush era was somehow not associated with today's Republicans. Sorry folks – you're the same angry, old white people who ignored Al Gore when he warned of the financial consequences of the Bush Tax Plan. Remember the "fuzzy math" comment. Is it clearer now? The Tea Party represents people too afraid of the future to accept those changes required to compete in the modern world.

April 16, 2011 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  21. peace

don is destorying the gop party. and I love him for that because he is doing it on purpose way to go rag top.

April 16, 2011 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  22. BlueMan/RedState

Press conference could not have been too hastily called, he had plenty of time to apply a crapload of makeup. I know it's shallow, but there is no real need to say anything about his politics since he is an obvious idiot.

April 16, 2011 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  23. TruthSeeker

Trump will be a breath of fresh air in the White House. Anything is better than we have now!

April 16, 2011 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  24. Debra From Georgia

Let the campaign begin. Damn I am bored. With Donald Trump and all the rest of the clowns, I should have a laughing party.

April 16, 2011 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  25. timz

I agree that George W. Bush is the worst President in the history of the country (though I'm impressed with his relatively classy performance so far as ex-President), but with potential candidates like Donald Trump, Sarah Palin, Michele Bachmann, et al, he might have to relinquish the title far sooner than I ever imagined was possible.

April 16, 2011 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |