Trump: I’m ‘much bigger’ than Romney
April 17th, 2011

Trump: I’m ‘much bigger’ than Romney

(CNN) - Real estate mogul Donald Trump touted his net worth as a selling point over likely presidential contender and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney.

“I'm a much bigger business man and have (a) much, much bigger net worth. I mean, my net worth is many, many, many times Mitt Romney,” Trump said Sunday on CNN’s “State of the Union.” “I built a very big net worth and I’d like to put that ability … to work for this country.”

“I don’t do it for myself, I’ll be doing it for the country,” Trump added. “And guess what? That’s what this country needs.”

The “Celebrity Apprentice” star has flirted with a bid for the White House in recent months and is expected to make an announcement after the show wraps May 22.

But Trump said he wishes he didn’t have to run for president.

“I love my life. I love what I’m doing,” Trump told CNN Chief Political Correspondent Candy Crowley. “I wish I didn’t have to do it. I would prefer not doing it. But I love this country.”

Although he said he’s honored by his rising poll numbers, he conceded his name identification helps him.

“Well, they know my name,” Trump said. “But you know why they know my name? Because of success.”

A CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll in March showed Trump in fifth place with 10 percent, among potential GOP presidential hopefuls. A CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll released in April showed Trump and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee tied for first place with 19 percent.

When asked if he will “stir the pot” in the 2012 race, he rattled off a list of what he thinks is wrong with America, including China and Saudi Arabia “ripping us off.”

“I’m not doing it for any particular reason,” Trump said. “I’m stirring the pot - I don’t know what stirring the pot is.”

The March CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey questioned 1,012 people by telephone. The survey's overall sampling error was plus or minus three percentage points.

The April CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll was conducted by telephone, with 824 people questioned. The survey's overall sampling error was plus or minus 3.5 percentage points.

Watch State of the Union with Candy Crowley Sundays at 9am ET. For the latest from State of the Union click here.

Filed under: 2012 • Donald Trump • TV-State of the Union
  1. Jason

always me me me me.

April 17, 2011 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  2. one voice

A bigger CLOWN,a bigger LIAR,a bigger TAX CHEAT, a bigger WOMANIZER, a bigger...............

April 17, 2011 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  3. Ken

I wonder if I can migrate to Canada if this IDIOT is elected POTUS.

April 17, 2011 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  4. yuri

This megalomaniacal and boistrous bogeyman needs to take a counter punch from somebody w/ a whole bunch of facts marshaled from a monolithic assembly of advocates of decncy. If he thinks he is infallible he has another think coming.

April 17, 2011 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  5. diridi

much bigger, in "Size Wise"????? just let dust settle, how idiotic....Mitt may be front runner in GOP, but my guess is he is not going to win in election...period....His ideology, and thinking, and policies are totally stupid....and idiotic..I guess Obama is going to be our POTUS.....

April 17, 2011 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  6. Andrew

Hit the nail on the head, Jason. I only hear him talk about himself. He has to be to most extrovertily egotistical politician...and that's saying something!

April 17, 2011 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  7. BradKT

One thing for sure Donald...Your EGO is bigger than Mitt Romney's...or anyone else's, too for that matter.

April 17, 2011 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  8. Sunshine

I'm torn between Trump and Romney, Both are outstanding businessmen and I think we need someone like either one of them who will focus on our economy and our country rather than fighting wars and lying about everything they do, All I know for sure is I will not vote for Obama again. He is a disgrace, and not knowledgable to be leading this country.

April 17, 2011 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  9. Vivian

The guy is funny. He is good for entertainment. That's about it though.

April 17, 2011 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  10. Corey

It sounds like he is making a point that net worth is a measure of qualification to be President? How is that for an elitist comment?

April 17, 2011 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  11. Pollwatcher

What success? He was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. He mooched off his father and even sucked at doing that – he filed bankruptcy THREE times. He's no real business man.

April 17, 2011 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  12. Mike

Well, someone is humble!!

April 17, 2011 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  13. Khan

Trump? Criminy, why don't we just call ourselves the Cartoon States of America and be done with it?

April 17, 2011 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  14. FactCheck

The only place Trump is bigger than Romney is in the rear end.

April 17, 2011 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  15. mark273

Americans just love to be entertained; that explains his place in the polls.

April 17, 2011 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  16. tef

Mr.Trump,you are the same mentality as Rush Limboat! Your propaganda is "sickening" ,and you have absolutely NILL agenda! You are a Pompous Billionaire, who sells your rental assets for enjoyment of a "Mass Murder,Khadaffy! Don,t you remember the "Americans that were "Murdered on Pan Am? Your pockets have "Blood Money" lining them! You are a Dispicable Profiteering Racist, your a jokr to this country!!!!!

April 17, 2011 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  17. Jeb

Donald, quantity does NOT trump quality.

April 17, 2011 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  18. Everyone

Could you please stop covering this clown? I thought you guys were journalists.

April 17, 2011 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  19. ClubbieTim

He's also had more divorces than Mitt and has bankrupted more enterprises than Mitt...Mitt > Obama > Donald > Palin.

April 17, 2011 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  20. calmncool

I don't know how anyone could seriiously consider voting for this clown.

April 17, 2011 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  21. BD70

You DON'T have to run Donald. Please...do us a favor and skip it.

April 17, 2011 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  22. Desert Denizen

Sounds like this whole thing might be a reaction to Trump trying to compensate for how "big" he is.

"Pathway to Prosperity"? More like "Detour to Disaster"!

April 17, 2011 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  23. MarineDad

They know you because with your money you are able put yourself into the limelight all the time. They don't know you because of 'your success', it's all about the money. Warren Buffet & Bill Gates both have a bigger net worth than you, but have contributed handily to the country (& the world), and both have put the country in great light (in the world of finance & technology).

An yet, neither Buffet or Gates are bombastic, they do not try to hog the media, and take atrocious or stupid stances like 'birther) to get some publicity.

Trump, you have a lot of money, and have built an empire, yet you thought you should be a shock jock – shock the country by taking a birther stance. I think the country took a double take, and now look at you as someone who is not too bright.

Without the birther issue you would have been a viable candidate, with it, you have become just another joker.

April 17, 2011 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  24. Johnson

Him and Romney are trash, Romney is and always will be a corporate prostitute.

April 17, 2011 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  25. AmFem

The attention this man is getting is ridiculous. Simply put, he's a megalomaniac... much like Gadhafi, and Sadam Hussein.

His behavior is an obvious attempt to get his show's failing ratings to improve (I'm proud to say that I have NEVER watched it). I have an idea... LET'S BOYCOTT HIS ASININE SHOW!!! COM'ON PEOPLE... WHO'S WITH ME!!!

April 17, 2011 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |