Trump: I’m ‘much bigger’ than Romney
April 17th, 2011

Trump: I’m ‘much bigger’ than Romney

(CNN) - Real estate mogul Donald Trump touted his net worth as a selling point over likely presidential contender and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney.

“I'm a much bigger business man and have (a) much, much bigger net worth. I mean, my net worth is many, many, many times Mitt Romney,” Trump said Sunday on CNN’s “State of the Union.” “I built a very big net worth and I’d like to put that ability … to work for this country.”

“I don’t do it for myself, I’ll be doing it for the country,” Trump added. “And guess what? That’s what this country needs.”

The “Celebrity Apprentice” star has flirted with a bid for the White House in recent months and is expected to make an announcement after the show wraps May 22.

But Trump said he wishes he didn’t have to run for president.

“I love my life. I love what I’m doing,” Trump told CNN Chief Political Correspondent Candy Crowley. “I wish I didn’t have to do it. I would prefer not doing it. But I love this country.”

Although he said he’s honored by his rising poll numbers, he conceded his name identification helps him.

“Well, they know my name,” Trump said. “But you know why they know my name? Because of success.”

A CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll in March showed Trump in fifth place with 10 percent, among potential GOP presidential hopefuls. A CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll released in April showed Trump and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee tied for first place with 19 percent.

When asked if he will “stir the pot” in the 2012 race, he rattled off a list of what he thinks is wrong with America, including China and Saudi Arabia “ripping us off.”

“I’m not doing it for any particular reason,” Trump said. “I’m stirring the pot - I don’t know what stirring the pot is.”

The March CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey questioned 1,012 people by telephone. The survey's overall sampling error was plus or minus three percentage points.

The April CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll was conducted by telephone, with 824 people questioned. The survey's overall sampling error was plus or minus 3.5 percentage points.

Watch State of the Union with Candy Crowley Sundays at 9am ET. For the latest from State of the Union click here.

Filed under: 2012 • Donald Trump • TV-State of the Union
  1. C. Howe Yulikit

Apparently the media has tired of Sarah Palin and is now on to their new toy, Donald Trump. There are 569 days before the Presidential election in 2012. Think the public is going to want to listen to this blowhard for that long – and then want to hear from him for the subsequent 4 years? I think not.

April 17, 2011 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  2. snafu

He can out spend Mitt, he can out spend Meg Whitman who failed in a election here in California. He can spend until he is as broke as I am, and like me he will never be president.

April 17, 2011 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  3. vic , nashville ,tn

“China and Saudi Arabia building new airports and bridges” yes trump they are making money and they are building like you, you are making money building mansion did we complain no

“I mean, my net worth is many, many, many times Mitt Romney,” this say Trump is typical republican
    What he is talking who has more money, who is rich, we are rich we need more money so give us tax break

April 17, 2011 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  4. Frustrated Independent Voter !

Trump interview translated : Me , Me , Me , I am the greatest , Me , Me , I am lovely , Me , Me , I am Fabulous, Me , Me ! Trump you are everything that is wrong with America today ! You are a selfish , arrogant , pompous, ego maniac and I have no doubt that you would be ten times worse than Bush ! It would be a top two percent giveaway and corporation's would completely decimate our economy more than they already have ! BTW since when did net worth become a requirement for the presidency ? Bush was a trust fund baby and he ruined this country in a short amount of time ! President Obama understand's the the plight of the middle class working American , that's why he will win again because there are a lot more of us than there are of your kind Trump ! America need's a President who will look out for the common man because the rich elitist's have proven that they could care less about us ! No way Mr. Trump , Not now , Not ever ! Obama 2012 !

April 17, 2011 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  5. Gary, Hunt Valley, Md.

I don't know who I despise more.....the self-serving MEGA-EGO run amok or the media that kneels before Him.

April 17, 2011 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  6. ThinkAgain

We know your name, Trump, because you bankrupted TWO casinos (that's pretty hard to do, given that the House always wins!), you've been married multiple times, your hair looks like roadkill, you brag about swindling people, and you've got an ego the size of Manhattan. Plus, your shows are trashy (kinda like you).

You are much better suited to be a despot of some third-world backwater than to even THINK about being POTUS.

April 17, 2011 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  7. AmFem

yuri- problem is, we already know many of the facts concerning this nutcase. But, the media doesn't mention it. Just like they don't nail him on the birther idiocy. Sadly, CNN has become a partner to reality television.

April 17, 2011 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  8. rusty155

Donald Trump you really are a IDIOT, Just because you have more money than someone else don't make you more QUALIFIED. You your self say how you got your money , you screw over people and American tax payer. How else can you file Bankrupt as many Time as you have and not have screw some body and the American tax payer. I mean after you keep all your money. Either you are a very good crook or you have screw a lot of Business partner,or the American tax payer lost on these deal. As many time you have file bankrupt you are not the type of person I wound want as President. To me after you brought up this birther thing up again is as low as someone could get, even after you once say you believe he was born in the US. All this tell me you are NOT A MAN OF YOUR WORD. We all ready have enough people lying to us now we don't need another one. Just because you have more money make you a better man Or person. And the way you got It may make you a worst make man.

April 17, 2011 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  9. ThinkAgain

AmFem: Sign me up!

The closed I've come to watching Trump's show is to see part of a commercial for one while flipping through the channels. And I always come away with the same feelings:

Pity for the contestants who've stooped so low that they think appearing on an "Apprentice" show is a good career move and loathing for Trump.

April 17, 2011 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  10. GO TRUMP

STFU. Trump tells it like it is. GO TRUMP!

April 17, 2011 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  11. Thankfully Independent

So the GOP is being reduced down to the richest candidate is the best candidate!

Can't believe the once venerable Republican Party has sunk so low.

April 17, 2011 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  12. Four and The Door

But Trump has a long way to go to match the arrogance of Obama. At least Trump has a few successes behind him instead of excuses. I will vote for succeses every time.

April 17, 2011 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  13. ThinkAgain

Sunshine: Have you ever looked at HOW Romney and Trump have made their money? Romney's company bought up other companies, broke them up, laid people off and shipped the jobs overseas. Trump brags about swindling people (Ghaddafi is just his latest; read "The Art of the Deal"), bankrupted TWO casinos, and in general, is a shady dealer.

You want THAT leading our country? *gag*

April 17, 2011 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  14. snafu

Tatoo a big L on his forehead!

April 17, 2011 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  15. ThinkAgain

MarineDad: "And yet, neither Buffet or Gates are bombastic, they do not try to hog the media, and take atrocious or stupid stances like 'birther) to get some publicity."

That's because Buffet and Gates are men of character – something Trump is sorely lacking with his infantile me-me-me attitude.

Buffet has said many times that he feels fortunate to having been born in the U.S., with its public schools, infrastructure and all the other things we take for granted that gave him the opportunity to create his wealth. Both he and Gates see the value and virtue in giving back; again, something about which The Donald is totally clueless.

April 17, 2011 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  16. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Trump doesn't want to be President, he wants to be "King" and wants to own Government just like it's a piece of his bank mortgaged real estate. Trump is wagering a bet that Americans are as stupid as he thinks, but he's wrong. We don't need a King in the WH along with a queen and all his prince and princess which would make Americans their indentured servants.

April 17, 2011 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  17. Joshua Ludd

wait.. since when did simply having lots of money become a qualification for being president? And of course we all know why Trump has as much money as he does... because he will literally do anything for a buck. Why else do you think you see him in so many commercials and on TV shows and the like? Two reasons...and they are tied together... ego and money.

April 17, 2011 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  18. A Tee Party is 16 Holes.

You may be bigger
    but Mitt has better hair.
    Niether is qualified to run a country.

Will be interesting to see who will end up being
    the sacrificial goat losing to Obama.

The road to recovery is one foot in front of the other.
    Lets keep walking forward.

April 17, 2011 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  19. Joan

The more articles written and sound bites played about Trump are a bonus for the Democrats. He is making a mockey of American politics. These sound clips are seen around the world on various international stations and he really makes America look foolish. He is undermining America's credibility around the world. He says that Bush gave America Pres. Obama. At this rate, Trump will gvie America Pres. Obama again. Thank goodness.

April 17, 2011 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  20. JST

Putting Trump on the line would be hilarious. We would finally show the world that we are morons that want to be ruled by dumb asses... The world is already loosing respect for the US because of people like Bush, Palin and others. What happened to putting out respectful men like McCain? Sad news for Republicans...

April 17, 2011 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  21. Republican Disease

Trump has filed for bankruptcy.
    Can you see investers all over the world pulling out on America
    if this guy ever got into the white house.

April 17, 2011 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  22. GOP = Greed Over People

Sounds like the doofus Donald has been checking out Mitten's package.

Does it sound like he wants to examine Mitt's "magic" underwear up close and personal?

April 17, 2011 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  23. StopTrumping

Why do you guys keep giving this RACIST,BRAGGER, air time?

April 17, 2011 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  24. Adam Cohen

This guy is a walking freak show. He cant put a sentence together without bragging or self-aggrandizing. If it comes down to him vs Obama, Obama takes a second term. If you look at his projects around the nation, half of them are on hold: Atlanta, Chicago, New York, LA, Houston, Miami etc. He does not have the funds to continue them. Is that what he has to offer the nation? Half of his net worth is inherited anyway. What a hoax.

April 17, 2011 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  25. works4me

Excuse me Mr. Richard Cranium... didn't you regain most of your "net worth" during the Bush Administration? You remember... the time of lies, greed and collusion?
    Well that seemed to work in Florida where Dick Scott bought the Governorship with $70m of his own money. No personal agenda there, is there?

April 17, 2011 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |