Trump: I’m ‘much bigger’ than Romney
April 17th, 2011

Trump: I’m ‘much bigger’ than Romney

(CNN) - Real estate mogul Donald Trump touted his net worth as a selling point over likely presidential contender and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney.

“I'm a much bigger business man and have (a) much, much bigger net worth. I mean, my net worth is many, many, many times Mitt Romney,” Trump said Sunday on CNN’s “State of the Union.” “I built a very big net worth and I’d like to put that ability … to work for this country.”

“I don’t do it for myself, I’ll be doing it for the country,” Trump added. “And guess what? That’s what this country needs.”

The “Celebrity Apprentice” star has flirted with a bid for the White House in recent months and is expected to make an announcement after the show wraps May 22.

But Trump said he wishes he didn’t have to run for president.

“I love my life. I love what I’m doing,” Trump told CNN Chief Political Correspondent Candy Crowley. “I wish I didn’t have to do it. I would prefer not doing it. But I love this country.”

Although he said he’s honored by his rising poll numbers, he conceded his name identification helps him.

“Well, they know my name,” Trump said. “But you know why they know my name? Because of success.”

A CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll in March showed Trump in fifth place with 10 percent, among potential GOP presidential hopefuls. A CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll released in April showed Trump and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee tied for first place with 19 percent.

When asked if he will “stir the pot” in the 2012 race, he rattled off a list of what he thinks is wrong with America, including China and Saudi Arabia “ripping us off.”

“I’m not doing it for any particular reason,” Trump said. “I’m stirring the pot - I don’t know what stirring the pot is.”

The March CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey questioned 1,012 people by telephone. The survey's overall sampling error was plus or minus three percentage points.

The April CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll was conducted by telephone, with 824 people questioned. The survey's overall sampling error was plus or minus 3.5 percentage points.

Watch State of the Union with Candy Crowley Sundays at 9am ET. For the latest from State of the Union click here.

Filed under: 2012 • Donald Trump • TV-State of the Union
  1. meee

Lets count how many times trumps business entities have filed bankruptcy. .and people believe he's qualified to be president?

April 17, 2011 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  2. FM

We had Rudy Giulliani with 9/11. Now it is Trump with: am rich, am rich & China. Nothing more than this. Oh! sorry and the "birther"!

April 17, 2011 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  3. Guess what!

Wow, The Republicans for the past 2 1/2 years continue to reach new lows, and wait before you pass judgement on me I have voted for both republicans and democrats ( 50/50 ). The new attitude of the republican party is becoming comical each day, and the american people love 'reality craziness ' but when its all said in done the republicans party will look like a joke because of all the foolishness ( Trump, Palin, Beck, Limbaugh, and etc....) get my drift. This is not a T.V show but, this is reality. There are americans who is outta work and homes are foreclose on the American spirit is broken and these bastards are taking advantage of that (cowards). Thats why I'm going to support President Obama for re-election!

April 17, 2011 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  4. Robert

He has no idea how to run a COUNTRY. He treats Country like a company that he could control everything and this is NOT possible. What he really wants is the publicity & fame. Should he become the president of US, he would lose all his hair on the next day and he knows that. Just judging from how much he loves his hair, though it is so ugly, he will not run.

April 17, 2011 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  5. Keep Your Eye On The Pussy Cat

Yosemite Sam, once said....

Vote for me, and i promise you
    a rabbit in every pot.

April 17, 2011 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  6. RENSHAI

Who do we want leading our country - I mean truly leading? We've tried the wealthy and the stupid and the great-looking and the actors - and the great orator. Our work product from this mix - a fading American dream and dominance of debt service. Maybe the most arrogant man, who understands a great amount of shadiness, can makes us money and return to us the value of investing in a home, is the right choice. Certainly our founding fathers - if they lived to day - would want to "found" somewhere else!

April 17, 2011 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  7. Ralph in Orange Park, FL

Head size does not count.

April 17, 2011 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  8. Name king

The only prop I give to trump is that he's not following the repugs lead on sheltering their big oil buddies from scrutiny with oil gulging then blaming Obama. Oil companies are saying the reason oil is so high is because china and india are consuming way more oil than expected and they don't have enough oil. Who was around last year to see how much oil they spill in the gulf before the block the flow of oil poisoning the gulf. Do these repugs expect the American people to believe the reason why they are spending 4 dollars a gallon for oil is because big oil companies have to ration oil. When the one oil well in the gulf, spilled more oil to supply the world economy for 10 years. These
    repugs keep protecting their oil buddy friends, while they destroy
    America, when will Obama stand up to these oil giants and demand that they stop trying to reverse our economic growth, a thing the repugs would love to see, to have something to fight Obama on next election, that's why they are doing every thing to block blaming their gigantic oil buddy friends, and pushing the blame some how on the president.

April 17, 2011 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  9. larry

it's too bad Candy didn't ask any hard questions.

April 17, 2011 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  10. Donny

trump would be a lousy president – I don't think the white house is large enough to contain his over-inflated ego. The tough guy schtick gets old real quick. I've already heard enough of trump to last me a lifetime.

His birther schtick is just a display of the distain and cynicism he has for repubican voters – he's playing to their stupidity and gullibility – and they're lapping it up like lemmings. Not realizing that he's laughing at them all the way.

April 17, 2011 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  11. tom

At one point in the interview Trump was telling Candy Crowley how much oil there is and his source was "da one guy said " and was never asked who "da" one guy was. You've gotta be kidding me. I don't think this guy is the smartest clown in the race much less the next President.

April 17, 2011 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  12. Hair To The Throne

Make me your leader and i promise you
    Dis – Dat – And da other ding.

April 17, 2011 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  13. Guess what!

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Go! Big "O" 2012

April 17, 2011 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  14. 1nd3p3nd3nt

..I'm not sure how he stacks up to Mitt Romney, who in my mind, is one of the reasonable republican candidates. Not sure if Mitt declared bankruptcy multiple times. It's hard to think that the news media or the populace in general don't get that Donald is simply playing them for attention and ratings.

I mean, reality tv star should be the last stop on the bus, not the first stop on the way to the presidency. I also question our news media, more driven by ratings and how many people click on the links, instead of what is actually hard investigative journalism that asks tough, or even critical or objective questions.

April 17, 2011 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  15. Mary

Goodness I hope he doesn't run....and if he does, I hope he does not make it to the end.

April 17, 2011 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  16. t22

I can't see voting for Trump, but oddly much of what he says makes sense. When Trump makes more sense than anyone in Washington, you can see why we're in such bad shape as a nation.

April 17, 2011 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  17. Richard

Candy Crowley let Trump get away with utter nonsense without challenge....He is a buffoon and giving him such serious attention makes CNN look out of touch with reality

April 17, 2011 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  18. Indy

Trumps net worth go's down every time he speaks, who would invest with this idiot anti American ? He is however the best thing to ever happen to Obama right about now, as his hate for everything in the US brings people to reality and that favors Obama. Trump is destroying his empire with every interview and will soon ask the US government to bail him out agian. Sane people do not do business with idiots like this and will pull their investments daily as he continues his anti American speeches.He appeals to a very small group only.

April 17, 2011 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  19. t22

BTW, many successful entrepreneurs have filed for bankruptcy.

April 17, 2011 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  20. magnum

Trump vs Romney will be a dogfight. And the winner will be President.

April 17, 2011 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  21. ThinkAgain

Size is all that matters to Trump ... gotta suspect there's some kind of inverse ratio thing going on here (bragging on about his wealth because he's lacking in some other *ahem* department).

Just saying ...

April 17, 2011 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  22. Trump vs Crowley

I am amazed at how weak an interview Candy Crowley is. She never asks the tough questions and if she does, she lets someone like Trump talk over her. Anyone would have followed Trump's answer about not knowing his tax rate with a question like, "Would you keep or fire an employee who doesn't know important financial facts?" or "How can someone who claims to know how to handle the finances of an entire country not know his own tax rate?"

Come on, Candy. If you can't handle an interview like Trump, either don't invite him or give the job to someone who can.

April 17, 2011 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  23. Mr Bilek

When do we get to see the Donald's tax returns for the past 15 years/

April 17, 2011 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  24. ThinkAgain

Four and The Door: But Trump has a long way to go to match the arrogance of Obama.

What arrogance?

You know, it's just so easy to type a couple Fox/Limbaugh soundbites ... why don't you actually provide examples?

April 17, 2011 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  25. Rexben

Why are you giving this self promoter all this time? He has no intention of running for president and you people just keep letting him ramble on and on about a bunch of stuff he just makes up. You have totally lost me after this crap that is really not news.

April 17, 2011 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |