Trump: I’m ‘much bigger’ than Romney
April 17th, 2011

Trump: I’m ‘much bigger’ than Romney

(CNN) - Real estate mogul Donald Trump touted his net worth as a selling point over likely presidential contender and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney.

“I'm a much bigger business man and have (a) much, much bigger net worth. I mean, my net worth is many, many, many times Mitt Romney,” Trump said Sunday on CNN’s “State of the Union.” “I built a very big net worth and I’d like to put that ability … to work for this country.”

“I don’t do it for myself, I’ll be doing it for the country,” Trump added. “And guess what? That’s what this country needs.”

The “Celebrity Apprentice” star has flirted with a bid for the White House in recent months and is expected to make an announcement after the show wraps May 22.

But Trump said he wishes he didn’t have to run for president.

“I love my life. I love what I’m doing,” Trump told CNN Chief Political Correspondent Candy Crowley. “I wish I didn’t have to do it. I would prefer not doing it. But I love this country.”

Although he said he’s honored by his rising poll numbers, he conceded his name identification helps him.

“Well, they know my name,” Trump said. “But you know why they know my name? Because of success.”

A CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll in March showed Trump in fifth place with 10 percent, among potential GOP presidential hopefuls. A CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll released in April showed Trump and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee tied for first place with 19 percent.

When asked if he will “stir the pot” in the 2012 race, he rattled off a list of what he thinks is wrong with America, including China and Saudi Arabia “ripping us off.”

“I’m not doing it for any particular reason,” Trump said. “I’m stirring the pot - I don’t know what stirring the pot is.”

The March CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey questioned 1,012 people by telephone. The survey's overall sampling error was plus or minus three percentage points.

The April CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll was conducted by telephone, with 824 people questioned. The survey's overall sampling error was plus or minus 3.5 percentage points.

Watch State of the Union with Candy Crowley Sundays at 9am ET. For the latest from State of the Union click here.

Filed under: 2012 • Donald Trump • TV-State of the Union
  1. CedarRapids

'Four and The Door
    But Trump has a long way to go to match the arrogance of Obama'
    And you base this on what exactly? I would love to hear your reasoning as to what Obama has done that is anywhere near as arrogant as this man.

.'At least Trump has a few successes behind him instead of excuses'
    Funny but when pushed about his bankruptcies he is always quick to claim it was his companies that posted, not him, as if there was a difference between the two. But hey, success and not excuses right?

April 17, 2011 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  2. Cant Fix Stupid

Interesting post (above)
    Trump tells it like it is !!!
    Tells what ???
    I have yet to hear what any Republican candidate will do
    to fix our problems.
    Bash Obama, talk tuff,
    offer NO solutions
    But Republican voters start drooling at the mouth about how great
    the candidates are.

Balance the budget – How ?
    Cut spending – How ?

All i hear is,
    Defend DOMA
    Stop DADT
    Stop Gay Marriage
    Cut anything to the middle class
    Cut education
    do away with the energy department..........

Didnt they run on creating jobs ?
    Now they blame Obama for high gas prices
    like he has anything to do with it.

Might as well elect Harry Potter
    he can just wave his wand, PRESTO !!!

April 17, 2011 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  3. Juan

@Ken I might have to emigrate to Canada with you. If Donald Trump make it to the nomination and becomes president.

April 17, 2011 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  4. ljmoon

Taking from his constant need to be 'bigger' than anyone else, one can only conclude that he has a very small penis.

April 17, 2011 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  5. Indy

If you were a casting director looking for the sleaziest looking used car salesman or the worst slumlord in the world Donald Trump would be your man, that is about all he would be good for

April 17, 2011 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  6. Joshua

The Donald is making fools out of the Republican party...along with the rest of the idiots like Bachman, Palin etc. etc.

April 17, 2011 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  7. Debra Owen

Candy, Plz don't pander to this idiot by giving him air time! You are "making news"... not reporting it. He's an opportunistic self promoter and see's politics as his next reality show. He's using you to the nth degree. It's beneath you. I turned it off.

April 17, 2011 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  8. A Real Patriot

A Very Big Net Worth huh?....Think he's compensating for something?

April 17, 2011 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  9. itsa

The 'bigger' must refer to his bigger amount of leverage/debt. Seriously, this guy has made it a lifelong pattern to finance very speculative ventures all on borrowed funds. Four bankruptcies and countless bank defaults later, the Donald wants to take over America's finances. Who'da thunk it? Has America stooped that low into idiocracy to actually think this guy is a credible candidate? By the looks of it, a large portion of America has. Scary to think how low our country has sunk.

April 17, 2011 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  10. Mark

Its always him. But he is a trustfund baby who offers nothing. Is he going to have to pay the 41 million dallar loan he never paid back as part of clearing his financial heistory?. This is rich people with rich friends. And none of them have 14 trillion dallars.

April 17, 2011 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  11. Seattle Sue

I wonder how much of that net worth did he steal?

April 17, 2011 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  12. thomas

It's important to see both Men Naked before determining who is Bigger or more ENDOWED !
    Thats an Idea for a new Celebrity political reality series .

April 17, 2011 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  13. Pat in IL

Trump may be worth more dollars, but he is so morally bankrupt that it's incredulous that he can even think of running for president. Sorry to break it to you, Donald, but success is not measured in dollars alone. Your business has been primarily on bullying and unethical deals. We need someone who not only has better ethics, but is also much smarter. That's wisdom, not street smarts.

April 17, 2011 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  14. Trolleyfish

He loves $. $, $, $. I don't believe him for a second.

April 17, 2011 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  15. Judith U Burton

I am amazed that one of Don Trump's stature could lay the blame of China "ripping off" the USA @ Obama's feet. China's birth and subsequent development and current threat to US economy was long, long before Obama even before the setbacks of '911'. Donald needs to get his facts right. I don't think he has what it takes to be the president. America is in trouble. He needs to support rather than tear down the current administration.

April 17, 2011 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  16. Dave L

I'm in 100% agreement with all the criticism of Trump here, but let me put in a half-hearted defense of the media. The sad reality is that Trump is polling very well among Republicans, number one among potential candidates for the GOP nomination in some of the most recent polls. So, do we really expect the cable news crews to ignore that, AND overlook Trump's obvious entertainment value? – Really?!

I have no doubt that his numbers reflect unhappiness with the other candidates, and will plummet once conservatives start thinking seriously about Trump himself. Until then, brace yourself for more of this nonsense.

April 17, 2011 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  17. GOP = Greed Over People

And when he bankrupts the country like he has done twice with his own financial "empire", will his response "Ooppsie, I need a do over" help the American middle class?

April 17, 2011 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  18. stevetall

We'd all be as rich as Donald Trump if our daddies had made us rich from the beginning. Had it not been for his family fortune, this chump would be in jail for all of his shady deals and multiple bankruptcies. Add to all of this his meglo-maniac tendencies and you have one kooky dude just waiting to be noticed by the Republican party!

April 17, 2011 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  19. Zevnick

Trump, in my opinion, is highly successful...unfaithful to his wife, unfaithful to his businesses, unfaithful to his county.
    Donald, if you call the above sucess, you're an idiot.

April 17, 2011 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  20. once upon a horse

I'm sure those Bush tax cuts the past ten years or so didn't hurt either one of these rich guys. I'm still waiting for the Donald to report on those troops he has on the ground in Hawaii digging up dirt on Obama. If Trump was really interested in running for POTUS he should have done it in 2008 when the country was really in the crapper. I hear though he gets a bit hot under the collar when you have reporters ask him about his bankruptcies, failed marriages and about opening up his own business books.

April 17, 2011 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  21. spenks

Bill gates has 5 times your net worth so i will go for Gates. Nut job

April 17, 2011 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  22. once upon a horse

I also noticed that many of thos right wing Tea Party folks, you know they are supposed to Christians many of them, were NOT offended when Trump was using swear words to attack the president. I guess God will forgive them though, right?

April 17, 2011 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  23. Goldy

Hey Trump, you don't "have to do it."

April 17, 2011 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  24. JS

Everything Trump says, I agree with. He is right that "THE KENYAN" is the biggest scammer in American history and must go away ... along with his OBAMA CARE SCAM. He is the only GOPer that knows his stuff- and will easily win the nomination. He realizes the POSITIVES of the TEA Party and focuses only on those rather than the whackiness. He'd be the only candidate that I'd be excited about supporting – perhaps, in history. The world despises America and laughs at America. It's currently embarrassing to be part of such a pathetic nation. The nation needs Donald Trump.to straighten out the corruption and get America turned back in the right direction. I'm with ya, Donald. I look forward to your candidacy and you'll have my full support.

April 17, 2011 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  25. REG in AZ

Trump is correct if you are measuring by the size of their mouths – no doubt that Trump is a "big mouth". As for his comment on how bad Bush (& Cheney) were, thereby making Obama's election easier, I think he needs to consider that they could't have done it alone. The full Republican Party strongly and stubbornly backed Bush-Cheney and made it possible for them to concentrate on their private agenda for the benefit of the few while giving the majority the costs, apathy and an abundance of subterfuge. Hopefully we will never be stuck with another 'puppet', like Bush or Trump or Palin, with the few again 'pulling their strings'.

April 17, 2011 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |