Trump: I’m ‘much bigger’ than Romney
April 17th, 2011

Trump: I’m ‘much bigger’ than Romney

(CNN) - Real estate mogul Donald Trump touted his net worth as a selling point over likely presidential contender and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney.

“I'm a much bigger business man and have (a) much, much bigger net worth. I mean, my net worth is many, many, many times Mitt Romney,” Trump said Sunday on CNN’s “State of the Union.” “I built a very big net worth and I’d like to put that ability … to work for this country.”

“I don’t do it for myself, I’ll be doing it for the country,” Trump added. “And guess what? That’s what this country needs.”

The “Celebrity Apprentice” star has flirted with a bid for the White House in recent months and is expected to make an announcement after the show wraps May 22.

But Trump said he wishes he didn’t have to run for president.

“I love my life. I love what I’m doing,” Trump told CNN Chief Political Correspondent Candy Crowley. “I wish I didn’t have to do it. I would prefer not doing it. But I love this country.”

Although he said he’s honored by his rising poll numbers, he conceded his name identification helps him.

“Well, they know my name,” Trump said. “But you know why they know my name? Because of success.”

A CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll in March showed Trump in fifth place with 10 percent, among potential GOP presidential hopefuls. A CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll released in April showed Trump and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee tied for first place with 19 percent.

When asked if he will “stir the pot” in the 2012 race, he rattled off a list of what he thinks is wrong with America, including China and Saudi Arabia “ripping us off.”

“I’m not doing it for any particular reason,” Trump said. “I’m stirring the pot - I don’t know what stirring the pot is.”

The March CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey questioned 1,012 people by telephone. The survey's overall sampling error was plus or minus three percentage points.

The April CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll was conducted by telephone, with 824 people questioned. The survey's overall sampling error was plus or minus 3.5 percentage points.

Watch State of the Union with Candy Crowley Sundays at 9am ET. For the latest from State of the Union click here.

Filed under: 2012 • Donald Trump • TV-State of the Union
  1. Terrence

Donald Trump was quoted as saying..."We have to take our Country Back"... and I say Take it back from who?...The Voters?? LOL...

April 17, 2011 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  2. Airborne

@ Sunshine,

Please do not say that you will not vote for Obama. YOu have not done it the first place in 2008. If you measure eligibility to run this country based on net worth, then I guess you can add Warren Buffet, Bill Gates, Larry Paige, Sergei, etc...

April 17, 2011 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  3. GetOverIt

Do you suppose that this egotistical tool has any idea what the word "humility" means?

April 17, 2011 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  4. deb

I bet a million dollars(i don,t have it) "That Trump new all about "Bernie Made-off" years before he was Busted? Shady fella,s? He,s a disgrace , and embarrassing to America! We don,t watch your bogus tv show either,Mr.Trump.Its a joke.

April 17, 2011 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  5. Fred L. Fraud

You people don't seem to get it. He won't run for President. He's just milking this for his brand called "Trump".

April 17, 2011 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  6. sharon

Donald Trump STFU!!!!! You do not know anything about running the country. Running a business & country are 2 different things. All you know is hearsay. Money isn't everything. Being the POTUS takes a whole lot of stamina, backlash and working with people with different background. You will have learn when to listen and when to voice your opinion. You will also have learn how to talk to different countries and be diplomatic. Being mean spirit to other Nations will not get the jobs done it will cause an upstir. You should take a lesson from Pres. Obama. He is trying to put the USA back to number 1 despite all the hatred & negatively he is getting.

April 17, 2011 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  7. liz

Trump has gone bankrupt four times so a great business man I think not had he not had his Daddy's money to start he would still be a blowhard but a poor one. Also if he gets the nomination i want to see his tax forms for the last ten years. Finally Trump does nothing for anybody else if it doesn't help him first.

April 17, 2011 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  8. Barry

In some ways I hope he runs, but as long as he puts a 100% effort into winning and not just half hearted like Ross Perot did a few years ago.

April 17, 2011 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  9. Jesse

i would vote for him,,, at least hes sincere in telling the truth,,, ie him being much more interested in building wealth rather than the American people. He has my vote lol

finally someone who would tell the truth lol

April 17, 2011 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  10. Anonymous

Of course I still vote for President Obama but if somebody asked me to choose between Rommey vs Trump, I should say, Rommney is more credible candidate than Trump whose ultimate goal is to keep his business name keep running. People have to remember his past business ventures and relationship with several women.

April 17, 2011 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  11. Jeff Brown in Jersey

The only big thing about this guy is his ego!

April 17, 2011 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  12. citizen

Trump is bigger that Mitt Romney, in terms of having a household name, but that's it. In terms of actually running a country, I'd put more faith in Romney than Trump because Mitt Romney has already held the executive office in a state before, Trump hasn't. Trump only keeps shooting his mouth off and making himself look like a bigger _____ than he already is.

April 17, 2011 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  13. Steve

What the hell is wrong with people? Trump has filed BANKRUPTCY 3 times – the last time was in 2009 and he had 90 million in assets and 900 million in debt! He is NOT a successful business man and he is NOT a financially saavy guy.....he uses his clout to borrow money and to make risky investments and then, when they go south (as they frequently do), he files BANKRUPTCY and leaves the creditors holding the bag. This is a guy who we want running our country?????? No thanks!

April 17, 2011 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  14. Randy, San Francisco

Trump probably meant he had a BIGGER EGO than Romney.

April 17, 2011 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  15. Jim S

I dont vote for a particular party im an independent .... if I were a republican voter ... Romney would get my vote .. he is at least honest and has the moral values that I would like to see in a candidate for President of the United States ... right now I would not vote for any Tea Party candidate ... the chances of a man like Trump ,Gingrich , or a woman like Bachmann getting a vote from any one I know that votes as an Independent are ..slim to none

April 17, 2011 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  16. peace

Am fem I"m with you let"s do it

April 17, 2011 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  17. Kevin

If this was a black guy talking like this he would be eaten alive. President Obama ego is very small to this guy. Can you believe the polls or is this twisting the polls for a good news story.

April 17, 2011 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  18. KEVIN RYAN

The Donald has no intention of running. This whole act is to bump up his pathetic TV Show. Why do legitimate news shows continue to interview the clown. Trump won't run because e will need to release his tax statements, showing his earnings from his gambling empire. Donald is a good Republican, just like Newt, 3 wives, great family values, and both have Los Vegas connections.

April 17, 2011 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  19. Jack in Florida

An arrogant bag of wind.........I can't believe he is so stupid to be making such a fool of himself. DUMP TRUMP!

April 17, 2011 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  20. janetlaw

A bigger ego, a bigger mouth, bigger hair...I mean toupee...

April 17, 2011 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  21. Tony in Maine

There is a huge difference between managing and governing. If you need proof, take a ride up I-95 to Augusta, Maine, and watch LePage shoot himself in the foot every two or three days. He hasn't forgotten how because he never understood how to deal with legislators or the media or the people the way he dealt with annoyances from the corner office. Try firing the Speaker of the House, a member of your own party who has supported you. Try firing the electorate, Pull a Palin with the media. LePage is a disaster – because he has no clue how to govern.

Trump is out of the same mold – one that Republicans seem to use to choose their nominees.

April 17, 2011 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  22. Happyfrenchman

Keep talkin Donald. Keep talkin.

April 17, 2011 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  23. Debra From Georgia

Jason you are right, it is always mememeemememememememememememememememmememememmmmmm

April 17, 2011 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  24. Ken

I don't want some Bafoon that sounds like Rush Limbaugh spouting "His" accomplishments in the White House driving our country down the slippery slope. This is a man that buys companies and sucks the life out of them and then puts them in bankruptcy. We don't need him to try the same thing with our nation. Tea-Publicans are trying to do that now.

April 17, 2011 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  25. Sue

I have one request of the news media......DON'T cover ANYONE until they declare that they are officially running.....as far as I'm concerned they have nothing to say until then and it's a waste of our time.

April 17, 2011 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |