Commentary: Is Trump playing us for suckers?
April 19th, 2011

Commentary: Is Trump playing us for suckers?

(CNN) – The disappointing thing about most phonies is that they don't have staying power. Once they get caught, they give it up and skulk off into the night, never to be heard from again. Think of Rosie Ruiz, say, who pretended to win the Boston Marathon by sneaking out of a crowd of bystanders ahead of everybody in the last half-mile of the race.

That's why I like Donald Trump so much. When it comes to pretending to run marathons, he never quits.

FULL STORY

Filed under: 2012 • Donald Trump
  1. Dave

He's only playing the suckers for suckers. Most people know that he isn't serious about a Presidential run. He's great entertainment and a very shrewd and smart person. However, he knows he can't win.

April 19, 2011 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  2. CNNLover

You're just NOW getting that you're being played? The media is so irresponsible.

April 19, 2011 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  3. OneMoreTime

Looks like he has "suckered" in Christopher Byron – "that's why I like Donald Trump so much" ?

April 19, 2011 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  4. AL ZEITLER

Trump isn't smart enough to play the media. He is doing nothing more than running his mouth. It is unfortunate that the media chooses to give him a venue.

April 19, 2011 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  5. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Is Trump playing us for suckers?
    -------------------------------------------------–
    Is this a rhetorical question?
    He is certainly playing YOU for suckers CNN.
    You've given him more publicity than even HIS money could buy.
    I guess you should've gone with my original "Yes indeedy" response CNN!

April 19, 2011 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  6. Annie, Atlanta

Maybe he's playing us, maybe not. This could just be a ploy to increase viewership for his reality show? Who knows. But the one thing I do know is that a man who has filed bankruptcy 4 times to game the system isn't the guy I want in charge. And a guy that is stirring up hate during a fragile and iffy economic recovery when people are really scared and more susceptible to hate mongering isn't a guy I want in charge. Maybe that's just me.

April 19, 2011 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  7. Rudy NYC

Of course, he is. I've been saying that he is not a serious candidate from the beginning, and telling you what signs to look for. He is just looking to build anger in the hope of bringing those people out on Election Day 2012.

Trump will never submit the required income statements to qualify as a candidate. He was most recently quoted as stating the rules, correctly I might add. He must submit the paperwork within 30 days of declaring, and there is a way to extend yourself more time to a maximum of 90 days. Sort of like filing for a tax extension, "here's the bottom line, I will fill in the details later." He repeated the importance of WHEN any sort of campaign announcement is made.

Why would he find it necessary to voluntarily recite the exact rules concerning financial disclosures? How soon do you think any sort of definitive announcement committing himself to a campaign for POTUS is coming from Trump?

April 19, 2011 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  8. diridi

I like this clown among others....he is bit too entertaining....just pass the time nicely watching this idiot...but if you have work to do, do it first, do not spoil it for this dimboooooooo, and lumboooooooooooooo....o.k, god bless..

April 19, 2011 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  9. ConservaFascists/FUBAR

He's only taking up the press' time to boost his ratings for his show. Donald Trump doesn't really want the job of governing. You really have to be a man of the PEOPLE to want to govern. Prime example: Bloomberg. A billionaire who actually takes his job seriously. I can't see Trump being mayor of Atlantic City.

April 19, 2011 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  10. The Day of Financial Reckoning is HERE - The Great Democrat Welfare Society Ends

Well, after seeing Obama get elected he figured there must be a HUGE number of suckers out there to be played! GO TRUMP!!

April 19, 2011 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  11. Rick McDaniel

Maybe not. He may just be mad enough, at what's going in the country, to be serious. I think he is.

April 19, 2011 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  12. stayintrue

Well, if he is playing us for suckers, I say thanks Donald. I appreciate the questions he is forcing people to talk and think about.
    For one: When I wanted to get my expired drivers license renewed, I had to bring a RAISED SEAL, NOTARIZED,BIRTH CERTIFICATE. The copy/notarized would not do! I also had to present either my: MARRIAGE LICENSE OR PASSPORT. I also had to present: 2 PIECES OF MAIL THAT SHOWED I DID INDEED LIVE IN THE STATE I WAS TRYING TO RENEW MY LICENSE IN. All this to renew a drivers license that had just expired!!!
    Why has this president talked the country down at every chance? Why has he treated Israel and Britain with such disdain?
    Why does he say one thing and do another? Why does he pass every large issue to czars, congress, or a advisory board, before he ever has an opinion at all? Thoughtful? Measured? I don't think so. What comes to my mind is simply a coward.

April 19, 2011 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  13. Indy

Trump was smart enough to see that Sarah Palin made millions from lies and deceit, and a very short political career that ended in ditching her oath and respect for the almighty dollar. Trump is just doing the exact same thing by going out there and lying to hype up a base that is stupid enough to believe and making money off of them. It is like ripping off senoirs or the disabled and Trump and Palin are proud to do it as long as they make money. They have both proven that you can make a lot of money off of pretending that you are going to run for the highest office in the land.The Republicans have made this a viable business with their line up of pretend candiadates out there selling books and speeches without any regard for decency whatsoever. I do feel sorry for the people that get sucked into parting with their money to hear nothing but lies from the like of Trump and Palin.

April 19, 2011 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  14. barb

I think Trump is "Acting out loudly, to expose the sheer" Crazyness and Racial hatred of the right wing consevatives,bank busting the Middleclass and poor,and the dangers of the TeaPartyers radical extremism! If your doing that Trump,keep going "Your doing a good job scarring the hell out Americans. Obama 2012

April 19, 2011 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  15. Gentle Critic

The only thing bigger than his ego is his mouth. Stuff it with Palin and you take them both out.

April 19, 2011 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  16. oldswede

Trump is in the casino business. He knows suckers. 'nuff said.

April 19, 2011 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  17. peace

Thank u don for makin the birthers look like the fools that they are. and u maked carl rover n sissy cantor tell those nuts the truth that our beloved president was born in america.

April 19, 2011 11:33 am at 11:33 am |