Trump won't release tax info unless Obama provides birth certificate
April 19th, 2011

Trump won't release tax info unless Obama provides birth certificate

Washington (CNN) – If Donald Trump runs for president, he says he won't release his tax returns unless President Obama releases his birth certificate.

The latest attention-grabbing sound bite from the media mogul came in an interview with ABC's George Stephanopoulos Tuesday, during which Trump was decidedly non-committal on what his policy toward tax disclosure will be. A presidential candidate is not required by election law to disclose tax returns, though most voluntarily do.

"I think I may tie mine into his birth certificate. But I've built a great company," Trump said. "It's a strong company. It's an under-levered company. I've got a lot of cash and a tremendous net worth, far greater than even numbers that you've read."

But Trump added that he will disclose his financial entanglements and net worth - a figure that few have been able to estimate with any confidence.

"I have a great company. I've done a great job. Which if I run, you'll see what a great job. Because I'll do a full disclosure of finances," he said.

Filed under: 2012 • Donald Trump • President Obama
  1. Rudy NYC

This smells like an exit strategy to me.

Didn't I predict this last week: right here on the Political Ticker? This is not news. He probably thought it was a good idea, which it is. What Trump does not realize is that the ball is in his court. It's his move. He has to disclose first. The clock is ticking and it is in Obama's favor.

April 19, 2011 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  2. Brian in Massachusetts

Great photo of Trump. It says it all.

April 19, 2011 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  3. beevee

I don't understand why CNN is giving this cheat free publicity. The more you give this moron free publcity the more he keeps ranting. Ignore this hypocrit.

April 19, 2011 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  4. Mike Wagner

At least there's a clown-like picture of him, similar to what you see for the Palin and Bachmann creatures. Trump's mouth is open so wide that he looks like a trout.

April 19, 2011 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  5. PK California

Unfortunately, the birther issue is all Trump has! I've heard no healthcare plan; no economy plan; no immegrent plan; no plan on how to deal with Iraq, Aganistan the middle east! He's doing the same thing that Palin and the others are doing....criticising the president! NO PLAN! In Trumps business he BULLIES to get his way using his money as a club! Well guess what Mr. Trump, you will have no more money than Obama has if you are president! Don't think you've ever worked on a budget! You must also work with others! Don't think you've ever done that either. They must do it YOUR way or they're FIRED!!!! There's no way I want him to represent me or other Americans! I would be ashamed !!

April 19, 2011 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  6. Me!Me!Me!Me!Me!

Forget the tax returns, Dono... I want you to prove your hair is real!

April 19, 2011 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  7. The Situation

I used to really like Trump now this guy is a p.o.s! Who does he really think he is, making demands to the POTUS! I hope the Repubs really select him for the Repubs nominee, so I can watch the beating he will take at the ballot box. If he runs as an independent, his votes will not take away from Obama but whoever is the Repubs nominee. In truth, he is the Repubs worst nightmare!

April 19, 2011 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  8. AH HA

Now we discover the REAL reason that he brought the birther issue up. Makes sense now...smoke and mirrors to avoid releasing his financial information. Must be very embarrasing. Can't be more embarrasing than filing for bancruptcy protection three times, most recently in 2009. That is some business man for ya!

April 19, 2011 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  9. Me

The office of POTUS is not a joke! I don't want someone with a spray tan, multiple BKs, multiple wives and a reality show as my Pres. Trump is just a shameful, self-promoting flim flam artist.

April 19, 2011 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  10. Riff*Raff

He's not running. He will announce on his season finale that he's out. There is no team of investigators in HI. He has bankrupted 3 companies,defaulted on a $40 mill loan-in 2008 no less-,been asked to leave 'his' Board of Directors by almost every company he has been affiliated with. He's not going to run. The job only pays $400k ya know.

April 19, 2011 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  11. Rudy NYC

Wouldn't you just like to hear a debate with Trump vs. Obama?

"I'm still waiting to see your 'birth certificate', Obama."
    "Keep waiting. It's in the mail."

April 19, 2011 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  12. Steve

Trump is a fatuous fool. He claims to have made his fortune; in fact his father did and passed it on to him. The same is true of Romney. But, as an Obama supporter, I hope Trump is seriously runs for president. It would be interesting to hear him debate. What would he say? "I screwed Kadafi. Vote for me! I'll fire everyone."

April 19, 2011 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  13. OneMoreTime

Not only that, when asked what his "investigators" have found in Hawaii Trump told him "it is none of your business,
    next question, George, next question". And what is that picture? Looks like he is singing "I'm So Pretty", or should I
    say petty?

April 19, 2011 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  14. Thankfully Independent

Somebody ought to tell this yo-yo that running this country is not a joke or a game.

For someone of his "stature," Donald Trump is coming off as quite immature.

April 19, 2011 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  15. ITALIAN NONNO

Old McDonald E I E I OWE,.. is a big fraud,.. he's not as rich as he makes out to be,.. he survives on BS,.. making ends meet by working for NBC,.. he reneges on loans and financial deals,.. declares bankruptcy when he can't pay the bills or alimony,.. hardly presidential material,.. you would think if he was a billionaire,.. he could afford a better hair piece.

April 19, 2011 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  16. Laverne

This guy is the equivalent to Sarah Palin, stupid, arrogant and divisive. Donald Trump has never had any attentions on showing his tax records anyway. He knows it will come up and his dirty dealings will be under scrutiny. What are you hiding is the question. To even entertain people like this says more about Americans than the fact he is a total jerk. Americans, please stop being so vain.

April 19, 2011 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  17. mike

Good old donnie likes to play the public and it is you show me yours and I will show you mind this isn't grade school or is it hey hair over believe or not this is about a job and order to get it we need to see your resume not the president that already has the job YOUR FIRED

April 19, 2011 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  18. Bessy

What is it with this guy's mouth always open like that ? He is getting to be even a greater joke than Palin.
    The Repugs really have some loonies running for office and they wonder why people are not enthusiastic about their group. Donald Duck and Mickey Mouse could present themselves better.

April 19, 2011 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  19. MommaM

I used to enjoy watching The Apprentice but listening to Donald now – I've lost interest. I believe he's doing this for publicity and nothing else – if he really wanted to help this country he should be part of a healthy dialogue not fueling the fire of the Tea Party.

April 19, 2011 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  20. NVa Native

And all this to sell commercial spots on his useless TV show. Just another Republican parasite.

April 19, 2011 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  21. anagram_kid

The president has already shown hi birth certificate. Here is how this works. Birthers say they want to see it and then it is presented to them and they say, “No, I want to see the purple one with the dotted lines and the hologram image of Twiki from that Buck Rogers show…”
    How I long for the days when Pat Paulson ran in every election. At least it was understood that his campaign was a joke.

April 19, 2011 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  22. gran

Isn't this exactly why Trump has brought up the birth certificate issue? Hawaii issued a Certificate of Live Birth at the time of the President's birth and Trump knows it. This is all another one of Trump's productions to keep his name in the news and then to have an excuse to NEVER show the AMERICAN PEOPLE (who have the right if he's a candidate) his financial records. WAKE UP AMERICA. HE'S USING YOU--AGAIN!

April 19, 2011 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  23. Mikey

To President Obama: "I want to see a copy of your birth certificate that has been available on-line for over three years, even though two HI Governors (both R and D) have confirmed its authenticity. I want to see it. I want to see. I want to. I want. I. I. I. I."
    To Mitt Romney: "My wallet is bigger than your wallet. My wallet's bigger than yours."

What a childish joke this meglamaniac Trump is.

April 19, 2011 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  24. thomas

CNN , I don't care about the Donald's self worth or Obama's birth certificate.
    I would be interested in what hair gel Trump uses , Acrylic or Epoxy, and is it flammable ?

April 19, 2011 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  25. Ian

Trump is the ultimate troll.

April 19, 2011 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |