Trump won't release tax info unless Obama provides birth certificate
April 19th, 2011

Trump won't release tax info unless Obama provides birth certificate

Washington (CNN) – If Donald Trump runs for president, he says he won't release his tax returns unless President Obama releases his birth certificate.

The latest attention-grabbing sound bite from the media mogul came in an interview with ABC's George Stephanopoulos Tuesday, during which Trump was decidedly non-committal on what his policy toward tax disclosure will be. A presidential candidate is not required by election law to disclose tax returns, though most voluntarily do.

"I think I may tie mine into his birth certificate. But I've built a great company," Trump said. "It's a strong company. It's an under-levered company. I've got a lot of cash and a tremendous net worth, far greater than even numbers that you've read."

But Trump added that he will disclose his financial entanglements and net worth - a figure that few have been able to estimate with any confidence.

"I have a great company. I've done a great job. Which if I run, you'll see what a great job. Because I'll do a full disclosure of finances," he said.

Filed under: 2012 • Donald Trump • President Obama
  1. Joseph-Ohio

Come on Trump! "The Birther Issue" is sooooooooooooooo lame it sickens me!!!!! It will NEVER get you elected. Enough already!!!!! Are you ever going to talk about what you would do as President? Will any of the Republicans ever talk about what they will do as President? That is what we people want to hear, not your latest Obama Bashing!

April 19, 2011 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  2. John H

Hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    What BS. If he decides to run for President he must disclose his tax records so making some claim about how he will only release it if Obama releases his birth certificate is total BS. He isn't going to run anyway though, he is just trying to get a bunch of free publicity and it is working. He is just a whiny rich boy living off the fortunes his daddy earned and he will never be President. As another article pointed out he has "considered" a Presidential run before but it is all just a big publicity stunt. Go away Donald.

April 19, 2011 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  3. Ashley

President Obama released his birth certificate during the 2008 campaign (and again in July 2009) and it was validated by Hawaii state officals. All claims of forgery have been disproven as myths – so why does this issue keep coming up? Donald Trump obviously is ignoring blatant facts that prove Obama is a natural-born U.S. Citizen. That's not the type of person I want running this country. If you disagree with his policies, talk to us about positive alternaitves. And if you don't have anything helpful to say, shut up.

April 19, 2011 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  4. 4sanity

Sorry, don't need to see your tax returns. I already know everything I need to know about you: failed marriages, failed businesses (3 bankruptcies), over-inflated ego. Oh wait, I forget that makes you ideal Republican Presidential material. Time we got rid of that Harvard educated, family man with a moral conscience. He's just too perfect that we CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE !

April 19, 2011 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  5. anagram_kid

John wrote: β€œIn all these comments, there is only one pro-Trump? Like what he says or don't like what he says, he is one of the smartest business men in America. Is it so wrong to ask for Obama's birth certificate? β€œ
    Smart businessmen do not have to file for bankruptcy multiple times. And yes, there is something inherently stupid about asking to be shown something that is accessible by anyone with an internet connection. Here is your logic – I am going to close my eyes and insist the sun has vanished until someone proves me wrong.

April 19, 2011 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  6. barb

Ya John, Trump is a great American bussiness man? He rented his facilities "TO A MASS MURDER OF AMERICAN PEOPLE? Kaddaffy was the known master-mind of the Pan AM ATROCITY!!!!!!! Trump doesn,t give a rats behind about that. Oh he,s a great pro? He knows how to line his pockets with Terrorist,murdering,Thug money!!! Get Real,man?

April 19, 2011 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  7. carrotroot

Trump must owe a lot of taxes if he's going to play the "birther" card this way.

April 19, 2011 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  8. here we go again

ok, for the last time HE ALREADY SHOWED IS BIRTH CERTIFICATE AND PLUS BEFORE A PERSON BECOMES P.O.T.U.S A EXTENSIVE BACKGROUND CHECK IS CONDUCTED ON THEM INCLUDING THE C.I.A, F.B.I, ETC....and to make it simple if his parents are american citizen (mother) he is automatic and american citizen by birth no matter what country he was born in....geez, moving on....now show us the financial records.

April 19, 2011 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  9. NameWilliam

Trump need to pull a card, and get a clue.

April 19, 2011 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  10. Just Me

This man is mentally ill. He has an EGO no psychiatrist can manage. I think in the long run, he will be sucessful in damaging his so called Trump brand, and the world will now see him as a laughing stock as oppose to what you usually say the U.S. has become a laughing stock. I see mental, finanical, and personal (divorce) in his future. His kids should pull him aside and talk some sense into him if they can. He has totally lost it, and quite frankly needs to be in a straight jacket in some mental facility under heavy medication.

April 19, 2011 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  11. Tony Z

If you show us your financial documents to prove your net worth.

April 19, 2011 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  12. Larry

Wake-up America!!! Southern older white males are not the only ones that are highly envious and resentful of people of color who achieve great things. Privileged Northern while males (from the heart of New York), can be equally irate when people of color attain new heights. Will Mr. Trump be making all this noise if President Obama were white? I doubt it

April 19, 2011 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  13. Jim

You have to hand it to CNN. All the pictures of the Donald that they post show him wearing pink ties and his mouth looking like a Pufferfish. Enough of this blowhard. I wonder how many flies have flown into the Donalds blackhole? You gotta love that hair though. All the money in the world and his hair looks like a bleached imitation of Trent Lott's famous carpet.

April 19, 2011 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  14. Carole

Please stop giving the quintessential egomaniac, Donald Trump, a public forum. He delivers a never-ending stream of lowest-common denominator fear-mongering sound bites. I never thought I'd say this, but please go back to covering Sarah Palin. She's also a moron, but at least she's mildly amusing.

April 19, 2011 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  15. VoiceOfTruth

Obama is NOT american born Just as everything else he has paid millions to hide he will never be honest enough toi show the real document for his birth, ever. He knows the score if he did he would have to leave office. Pathetic that peoe can CLAIM they have seen it. PROVE IT. Put up or shut up. Obama has more to hide than anyone else that is a crook in the History of the USA. I thank TRUMP for having the courage to stand up against the LIAR Obama and his crew. Obama is a crooked loser. When people comment they have seen his real birth certificate they are liars! Obama has deep illegal connections to people in Hawaii, one of his big shot friends in Hawaii recently busted for soliciting hookers is only the tip of the iceburg. Obama is a snake. If you support Obama you are as anti american as he is. .he is a closet homosexual drug addict...- know as I have seen the reports..and when Obama wants to really show the world what he is hiding by having all of his personal records sealed to hide the truth...I will give my reports to people magazine and the real Obama can be fully understood...and Barry, you know the truth is gonna bury you. Trump...thank you....democraps stink and CNN is a hired by democraps propoganda machine.

April 19, 2011 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  16. concerned mom

Trump has exposed himself as a racist, who has no political knowledge or skill. He is a bully and that works as a ruthless businessman, but not as a leader of a nation. He doesn't want to release his taxes anyway. His tax breaks are probably appalling.

April 19, 2011 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  17. annette

keep talking donald so that i can watch all of YOU lose! the people want to know what your SERIOUS plans for this country are going to be. we already believe obama is a US citizen except for you so lets move on. quit showing your hate for obama.

April 19, 2011 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  18. Chuck in Jasper Ga

I love it. The more this charlatan runs his chops the more people see him for what he is. A total moron. Of course he fits right in with most republicans in that regard.

April 19, 2011 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  19. Mikey

Question: Will Trump admit he was wrong and admit our President was born in Honolulu when his "investigators" either turn up the proof of that fact and/or absolutely no proof otherwise? Does he have at least that much class? We'll see.

April 19, 2011 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  20. VoiceOfTruth

No one is going to approve of making the truth about Obama's real background available. The media is even on his payroll. Read and wonder...forever one sided stories all slanted to approve the criminal Obama.

April 19, 2011 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  21. MiddleOfTheRoad

"I have a great company. I've done a great job......."
    "As President, I won't need to surround myself with good people. I will do it myself. I'm great."

April 19, 2011 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  22. LouAz

I think Donald is wasting his time considering running for POTUS. He should run for GOD ! Listen to him. He is perfect.
    Oh, oh . . . it 's coming to me now . . . the second COMING OF CHRIST ! This is IT ! ! !

April 19, 2011 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  23. VoiceOfTruth

Obummer...you are in need of a moving van and ticket back to your Native Kenya

April 19, 2011 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  24. Rick McDaniel

Seems fair enough.

April 19, 2011 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  25. rusty155

Donald Trump you are just a loud mouth fool , If all you got going for you Is this birther thing than you got Nothing. It all ready been proved that Presient Obama was born In Hawaii By two Gov of Hawaii and CNN had show prove more than once. You are just a big IDIOT that you are losing respect from people that had respect for you. Right now you are just like the TEA PARTY people and that Is to see how mush hate you can spread, and Lie and Twist people word around. Keep It Up MR.TRUMP are you are doing Is making a fool out of your self.

April 19, 2011 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |