Donald Trump to head to first in the nation primary state
April 21st, 2011

Donald Trump to head to first in the nation primary state

Washington (CNN) - As he considers a possible presidential bid, Donald Trump next week will check off another of the must stop states for any contender as he is set to visit New Hampshire Wednesday, April 27.

He is expected to give some type of speech, do a walking tour to meet with voters as well as sit down with donors, organizers and grass roots supporters in the state during his one day visit, Michael Cohen, executive vice president of the Trump Organization told CNN. Cohen is the organizer of a website pushing his boss to run, ShouldTrumpRun.com.

"He is excited. It is the start of the process," Cohen said adding Trump is "looking forward to meeting the people."

Trump is expected to announce during the season finale of his reality show "Celebrity Apprentice" on May 22nd a date for when he will make his decision known about whether he will mount a campaign for the GOP nomination. He has said he can't make any announcement of his intentions until that show's season is done.

The real estate mogul again insisted during an interview on CNN's American Morning Thursday he is seriously considering a run as he insists this is not just a publicity stunt.

As the debate about him and his intentions continues to swirl around political circles, Trump was asked about his net worth.

While presidential candidates have 30 days to file their financial disclosure statements and then can ask for extensions, he told CNN he would not wait.

"If I decide to run, I would put out - I would do that disclosure statement the day I decide to run, which would be some time prior to June."

The businessman rejected some political analysts' belief that his questioning of whether President Obama was really born in the U.S., a subject he has discussed in a number of television interviews the past few weeks, has helped him be at the top or near it in several polls asking which candidate Republicans support for the nomination.

"The reason I'm up in the polls isn't that. The reason I'm up is because I'll protect this country against China and all the others that are ripping us off."

Polls at this stage of the nomination battle are mostly considered gauging name recognition.

During the CNN interview Trump also defended his proposal put forth earlier this week to put a 25% tariff on goods imported from China.

"The problem is, as you know, China is ripping us left and right with a manipulation of their currency. If they didn't manipulate their currency where we were competing one on one, I would say absolutely, I wouldn't even think about the tax. But they make it impossible for our people, our companies to do business to compete. As an example, I build a building. When I build a building, half of these products are coming from China. It is very hard for companies to compete. So I would impose that tax if they didn't stop manipulating their currency."

His support for a tariff on Chinese goods earned him the wrath of a leading conservative organization which promotes smaller government, the Club for Growth, which calls Trump "the king of protectionism."

Cohen also told CNN Trump is expected to make a visit soon to South Carolina, but no date has been set.

Trump is set to make a stop in Nevada, a key early voting state, late next week and will make a return visit to New Hampshire next month when he addresses the Greater Nashua Chamber of Commerce's annual "Expo Nashua" small business event on May 11.

Filed under: Donald Trump
  1. Sgt Joe

This baffoon is all smoke and mirrors. He is a grandstanding, ego-driven nutcake who should stay far far away from the White House. He's handling this whole thing like a cheap TV reality show. No thanks, Donald.

April 21, 2011 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  2. Rudy NYC

Donald Trump is a businessman who has found himself embroiled in one major legal battle after another. Most businesses do not have that problem. Most play by the rules and deal honestly.

Prediction: With Donald Trump as POTUS we would find ourselves embroiled in one military conflict after another. Most countries do not have that problem. Trump would not recognize existing treaties, and he would be a loose cannon with the US military. This guy is head strong enough to start WW3.

April 21, 2011 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  3. Sniffit

Campaign theme song: Yackity Sax. Gotta be. Unless maybe he goes with You're So Vain. I mean, clearly, the song is not about you, it's about Dimwit Donald....everything is. Heck, the 24-hour clown show "news" cycle seems to agree, so it must be true.

April 21, 2011 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  4. Rudy NYC

Should Trump Run?
    Should Trump Run?
    See how he lies. See how lies.
    He has ran off with the wild birther lies.
    He’ll stab your back and poke you in the eyes.
    Have you ever heard such a joke in your life.
    As Should Trump Run?

April 21, 2011 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  5. Marie MD

What is it about the rethugs? they are a bunch of loudmouths with absolutely nothing to make anything better, no solutions, no ideas and bad hair. This clown with whatever it is he has on the top of his head and the AK quitter with the hair weaves.
    Does being so mean, nasty and clueless lead to hair loss?

April 21, 2011 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  6. Rudy NYC

(refrain)

He can't keep his own hair out of his eyes.
    He's building a case for his own demise.
    He can't believe we do not believe his lies.
    Have you ever heard of such a joke in your life.
    As Should Trump Run?

April 21, 2011 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  7. thomas

NON REALITY NATION !
    Donald Trump / Gary Busey 2012 !

April 21, 2011 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  8. GI Joe

Paranoia runs rampant in the republicans. He won't even shake hands with ANYONE. (Much more paranoid than even Howard Hughes).

April 21, 2011 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  9. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Republicans candidates keep jumping into the race because they already know they don't have a viable candidate to beat President Obama, that's how much they think of one another. And then there's Donald who serves one purpose only and that's just Donald. Just wait, Trump will start ripping Republicans apart one by one after he can't serve up his so-called dirt on Obama.

April 21, 2011 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  10. Daniel Hernandez

I am looking forward to Donald Trump running for president. I will be in my town promoting his campaign should he do so (signs, social networking). The way I see it we have had so many "politicians" in office that have done little to help the American people. It may be time to look outside the box, and "Fire" President Obama. I have been a Democrat for as long as I can remember, but just the way things have been; I would become Republican in a second if Trump runs.

April 21, 2011 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  11. john

It’s about time we get a leader in the White House, anyone can beat Obama in the 2012 election; Romney, Palin, Pawlenty, Trump or Gingrich will easily beat Obama in a massive land slide win. Can’t wait to see how the media spins that.

April 21, 2011 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  12. w l jones

At the rate the new Republican running for the office of the president it most likely will be more canidate than voters.

April 21, 2011 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  13. Marie MD

One thing about bad hair man . . . . He is following in the footsteps of huckabee, barbour and christie . . . . Right to the front of the line in the cafeteria to get fatter than he already is.

April 21, 2011 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  14. Rudy NYC

I gonna start selling bobble-head dolls called Ronald Grump. I'm taking orders starting now.

April 21, 2011 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  15. PalmReader

The Donald's taking his Sarah Palin in Pants routine very seriously. Wonder how much she's charging him to write his talking points?

April 21, 2011 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  16. Lexington

Donald Trump said he's spend $600M of HIS OWN MONEY to run for President. He DOESN'T HAVE $600M liquid. Plus, he loves money too much to RISK that much of it on the CRAP SHOOT of winning the GOP Primary and then beating Barack Obama in a General Election. He has very high negatives and they are only growing.

Based on Trump's boasting about how he has "screwed" people, based on his bankruptcies, based on his failed marriages, based on the loans he defaulted on, based on his failed products & services like Trump Ice, Tump Card, Trump University, etc., who, in their right mind, would GIVE MONEY to a Trump campaign? The only people dumb enough to do that were taken by the Madoff PONZI scheme.

Every journalist that is set to interview Trump needs to have 2 followup questions that probe the veracity of what this EXAGGERATOR / LIAR says. Trump's utterance of "EXCUSE ME" to a reporter, as a means of interrupting and dodging a question, is a tactic to avoid having to back up his hyperbole. No true reporter worth his salt, is going to allow Trump to back them up in this manner.

April 21, 2011 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  17. GOP = Greed Over People

"Forbes says $2.7 billion. I can tell you that's a very low number. It's much more than that. And if I decide to run, which I very well may surprise people, but if I decide to run, I will give a net worth statement, essentially. As you know, we have to fill out very detailed forms for the federal government. And I think people will be extremely impressed. Not only is it much higher than that, but I'm extremely liquid and I have very, very little debt," he said."

What a narcissistic ego-maniacal blow hard..

Just another GOP history revisionist, trying to rewrite history, he fails to mention that he has twice fled for bankruptcy.

We do not need a bankrupt bag of hot air doing what he does best, bankrupting the country.

April 21, 2011 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  18. Sylvia Saint

Donald Trump MUST be on contract with the DNC. That is the only logical explaination for him.

His ravings keep the GOP mired in their self-imposed status as the Neanderthal party. It is ashame that GOP party leaders could have defused this bomb 2 years ago but instead they tried to stoke the Obama-isn't-one-of-us insecurities of the portion of their base which is uncomfortable with a black man as president. Now Trump has grabbed this to exploit for his own personal profit motive and they are stuck.

April 21, 2011 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  19. Hypathia Lee

Isn't Trump what the neo-cons and T-Party types call a RINO?

1.) He has spoken out in favor of abortion.
    2.) He supported a single payer, comprehensive health care plan
    3.) He advocated taxing all networth in execess of $10M at a rate of 15% to pay down the national debt.

So why haven't the wacko's in the party (Palin, Bachmann, Gingrich, Limpbaugh, Barbour, etc.) denounced him?

April 21, 2011 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  20. gregory

id have to say tht donald trump trucks snitches and gets money.... all day. tr(f)sn(B)

April 21, 2011 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  21. bonnieco

I'm all in for Trump. He's exactly what the world needs, as he'll stop the new world order mentality globally and get this country manufacturing again. Getting Obama and his machine out of office is #1 for all of us, lib and gop. I say, get behind a strong business man who understands the Fed, debt and creating jobs and wealth. What's everyone afraid of, they'll make more money with Trump in the WH?

April 21, 2011 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |