Fact check: Trump's voting record
April 22nd, 2011

Fact check: Trump's voting record

NEW YORK (CNN) – Donald Trump's affirmation that he's voted in every general election disagrees with actual voting records, according to a spokeswoman with the New York City Board of Elections.

“I voted in every general election,” Trump told CNN affiliate NY1 by phone Friday. “I have records that I voted and so does the Board of Elections. … I signed in at every election.”

However, voting records obtained by the board of elections show that Trump did not vote in the 2002 general election, according to Valerie L. Vazquez, director of communications at the board.

The records also show that Trump skipped at least three presidential primaries and two mayoral primaries over the past 25 years, Vazquez said Friday.

Vazquez has found voting records by Trump for only two party primaries – the 1989 GOP mayoral primary and last year’s GOP primary for several statewide races, including governor and U.S. Senate.

Vazquez said she was able to obtain the voting records using both Trump’s voting bus cards, used prior to 1992 to document a voter’s activity, as well as through the BOE's electronic records database, used from 1992 to the present. Both the bus cards and electronic records provide the ballot time and whether it was cast on site or by absentee vote. Records also showed Trump has changed his party registration three times over the past 20 years.

Vazquez was confident that her records are complete, saying there is not a loophole that would hide a possible vote.

But when asked by NY1 Friday about the discrepancy presented by information from the election board and his claim, Trump said, "You're going to pay a big price because you're wrong."

A call to Trump for comment was not immediately returned.

CNN's Susan Candiotti contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2012 • Donald Trump
  1. ???

Trump seems to have some credibility issues.

April 23, 2011 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  2. Splinter48708

Well, how many people skip the primary elections or even mayoral races? I know I have and guess what, I don't give a care. Not being arrogant, it's just a fact. Some years I didn't care for the candidate in my (former) party and most states use the closed primary which means that you can't split your ticket. If you're a swing voter like me, the primaries aren't that interesting and, personally, when the commercials stop, I breathe easier knowing the attack ads are gone for a few months.

Yes, I know that sometimes there are proposals on the primary ballot. They just aren't that interesting as the more vital proposals should be on the general election ballot. It would take a very vital proposal to get me to come out and vote...even if the sore losers challenge the vote.

April 23, 2011 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  3. O0o0oo110001

You can't stop Donald Trump. If he wants to be President, he's going to be President.

April 23, 2011 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  4. John

Trump is just a loud mouth hypocrite billionaire, he talks about how other countries are unfair to us in their trades. How many people has he stepped on and bullied to build his empire? Underhanded deals and paying the right people off to get his way.

April 23, 2011 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  5. Mediaprof

"Trump did not vote in the 2002 general election." A general election is a general election. People who want to believe Trump, or people who want to disbelieve CNN, simply didn't register this piece of information. Good example of Selective Perception, people process only the information that already supports their beliefs.

April 23, 2011 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  6. Clint, Wa.

Oooooooop's they got me in another lie.

April 23, 2011 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  7. Alex

so those of u saying that trump is a liar how about barack obama he wasent even born in the USA he pulled off the biggest scam the US has ever seen 1 of his family members varifided that comment trump would run this country like a buisness many of u are probly politiions scared to see what would happen to you when trump take scharge

April 23, 2011 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  8. Little Tin God

Only The Donald cares about what The Donald says or does. Except for those with limited mental capacity that is.

April 23, 2011 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  9. Mike

Wow, come on. I have no interest in voting for Trump whatsoever, let alone any Republican, but this is so unimportant as to be an embarrassment for any news agency willing to waste front page space with this nonsense. That voting record looks pretty damn good to me. They went back over 20 years and found a couple votes he missed in the list of all the general elections (including off-years) and primaries he was eligible to vote in. I try to vote in every election but sometimes the importance of a particular election is outweighed by responsibilities that get in the way. I am proud of how consistently I go to the polls and vote and I would say it looks very similar to Trumps record. There are a lot better reasons to not consider Trump than this.

April 23, 2011 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  10. NamCbtVet

Why is this news? Did anyone expect a blabbering birther to have actually voted on a consistent basis? Ranting and pandering take up so much time that voting is a low priority. Not to worry, by November 2012 the GOP will be so fragmented that the Green Party will be the closest challenger to the Dems who will continue for another four years with Obama in the White House.

April 23, 2011 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  11. Zevnick

Donald...oh my. Bankrupted three companies, imparted financial hardships to thousands, lies, and threatens to sue when
    exposed. Let's see, he should be in the lead for the GOP. Yep, where was the GOP and Donald the last seven years.
    GOP, you brought the county to financial hardship, your leader lied about Iraq, and now here's....Donald.

April 23, 2011 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  12. keylargo

I think most of us knew Trump had no problem telling a lie. Did anyone really think this modern day PT Barnum was an honest man?

April 23, 2011 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  13. Dbradd98

All I know is that, When Reagan was President, We Had Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.
    Now the Obama is president, we have no hope or cash!

April 23, 2011 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  14. Shannon

I guess the Donald can't produce his own records, so he should stop worrying about the President, and start being factual about his own. Has America sunk so low, that Donald Trump is even being talked about as Presidential material.
    For the poster that said what is the big deal that he hasn't voted in ever general election, no one has. I have, and I'm 51 years old, my father has and he is 76. Voting is a right and every American should take advantage of that right. I would guess milllions of Americans can say the same thing I just did, and be proud of the fact that they did vote in every election. If it's not important, why did he lie about it.

April 23, 2011 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  15. remove obama

trump is ridiculous and just looking for attention .sadly to say he is still far better than obama who is clearly the worse president in the countrys history....

April 23, 2011 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |