TRENDING: Rev. Graham on 2012: Maybe Trump?
April 24th, 2011

TRENDING: Rev. Graham on 2012: Maybe Trump?

Washington (CNN) - The Rev. Franklin Graham said he might support real estate mogul Donald Trump as his candidate of choice in the 2012 presidential election.

Graham, whose family has close ties to past presidents, said when Trump began interjecting himself in the conversation he thought it was a joke, but “the more you listen to him, the more you say to yourself, ‘You know, maybe the guy’s right.’”

When asked Sunday on ABC’s “This Week” if he would choose the “Celebrity Apprentice” star as his candidate, Graham said “Sure, yeah. Sure.”

And although he has traveled with former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, he predicted she will not launch a bid for the White House.

“I don’t think Sarah is going to… I think she likes speaking on the issues,” Graham said. “I don’t see her running for president.”

Would he support her if she did run?

“It depends on who the other candidates are,” Graham said.

Graham, who is president and CEO of the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association and the Christian relief organization Samaritan’s Purse, said President Obama could silence the birther movement by producing his birth certificate.

“I don’t know why he can’t produce that,” Graham said. “It’s an issue that looks like he could, he could answer pretty quickly.”

In 2008, the Obama campaign released a copy of the certificate. News organizations and the Annenberg Fact Check Project saw the raised seal and signature. The state of Hawaii has certified he was born there.

When asked about the debate over the president’s religion, Graham said Obama has told him he’s a Christian.

“But the debate comes, what is a Christian? For him, going to church means he’s a Christian,” Graham said. “A membership doesn’t make you a Christian … God is the only one who knows his heart.”

Filed under: 2012 • Donald Trump • Sarah Palin
  1. steph

and Doug do you have to work that hard at being stupid or does it come naturally. NOBODY WAS TO RAPE PAILIN.

April 24, 2011 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  2. edpeters

“the more you listen to him, the more you say to yourself, ‘You know, maybe the guy’s right.’”? Talking to yourself is one way to continue a delusion..

April 24, 2011 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  3. steven harnack

It's obvious that a strictly religious upbringing doesn't foster the ability for rational thought.

April 24, 2011 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  4. ThinkAgain

GI Joe: Thank you for the reminder. It's something I was discussing with friends last night: What motivates these greedy folks to do the harm to others and the planet? Surely, they understand that you "can't take it with you," so what's the point of amassing obscene amounts of wealth for its own sake?

Trying to satisfy some infantile desire for more-more-more (money/control/power)? Sociopathic pleasure in harming others? Trying to please the daddy/mommy who rejected them?

At the end of the day, I pity folks like Graham, Trump and Palin. Their hearts are empty, their souls are lost ... I just wish they'd leave the rest of us ALONE.

April 24, 2011 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  5. Ray

Mr. Graham basically said, "Yap, I am a member of the Cristian church, but only God would know whether I am really a Christian."

April 24, 2011 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  6. Kenny

How a man so smart as his father was could possibly have a son so far out in space behoves me.

April 24, 2011 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  7. ThinkAgain

Doug: What Democrat has ever said they wish Palin would be raped?

What a ludicrous statement! OK, we get it that you don't like President Obama and Democrats; I don't understand how you can consider yourself a Christian when you so easily lie. Shouldn't you be turning the other cheek?

April 24, 2011 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  8. biphenylene

I'll take improving mediocrity (Obama) over anti-intellectual zealotry every time...

April 24, 2011 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  9. ingrid

Doug...what rubbish. I am a democrat and do not like Palin. I can not like someone without seeking to harm them. I do not wish anyone to be raped and I find it incredibly offensive that would way write anything that vile. You should be ashamed of yourself to make such a statement. I am at a loss to think what your world looks like but something is wrong with you.

April 24, 2011 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  10. Jake

Franklin is (Graham) crackers!

April 24, 2011 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  11. Kenny

I want to know what country Trump's hair was born in. I want him to release the original birth certificate for his hair.

April 24, 2011 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  12. akindependent

Why does CNN give a man who hates muslims a national forum? There are serious religious leaders who could contribute to the national discourse. I'm getting tired of the new "Faux Fox".

April 24, 2011 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  13. ThinkAgain

Going to church no more makes you a Christian than sleeping in a garage makes you a car.

A person's actions are what counts – and Trump has admitted to lying, swindling and committing adultery; Palin broke her vow by quitting mid-term, lied about "death panels" and stole money by taking a housing allowance while living in her own home.

These two – and Franklin, for that matter – can yammer on about attending church and being Christian, but we all know better ...

April 24, 2011 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  14. midclassfamily

Keeps getting better and better for President Obama. The Circus and Freak show bigger than I could have ever imagined. CEO of the Billy Graham Evangelistic Society has jumped on the "Birther" conspiracy theory with "the Donald"! ALL ABOARD, the crazy train.

BTW, More Americans are going to be put off by the Billy Graham Association's endorsement of Trump, than impressed by it.

April 24, 2011 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  15. Obama is, always will be my President

"On the birther issue, to me, if someone has lived here ten years, he should be able to run for President. It's an outdated rule I believe. What troubles me about Barrack Hussein Obama is his spending a million plus I hear on legal fess to bar the public from seeing much of his personal records, birth related documents, college transcripts (what's the exposure here?) and other documnets. Why? Who cares if he studied Muslim history or whatever in college. His reluctance is the issue, not the actual documents so I am with Trump on his curiosity as to why? These are routine records"
    Johnny popper you should be ashame of your self, you do not have to have a las degree to know a lie when you see one. You find every thing you need on President Obama, why would he pay million so you can't see. Read that is all you have to do. Now get this " the only reason you keep saying he is hiding something is because he is BLACK, BLACK NOT LIIKE YOU, GET OVER IT. HE IS BLACK AND HE IS GOING TO STAY BLACK.

April 24, 2011 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  16. Jon G.

No, Reverend – the more YOU listen to Trump, the more YOU think he may be right... please don't try and speak for me.

April 24, 2011 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  17. JWN

Frankin is as far from Billy as the far planets..........a real duffus!!

April 24, 2011 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  18. Susan

Mr. Graham, You lost my respect when you applaud the likes of Palin and Trump, but others have spoken to that. so I will not. I will speak to your criticism of the government taking over the role of the Church to help the poor and marginalized. How about acknowledging that the Church failed in that role?! Where was the Church in the movement for civil rights or during the Great Depression? My grandfather was a missionary to those ravaged by the Great Depression and he could hardly make ends meet. I don't see any of the mega churches of today stepping in. Lots of responsibility to share around here.

April 24, 2011 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  19. sameeker

We do not need another billionaire in the White House. What we need is to allow President Obama to do the things that he wants do do for the good of all. Get the Greedy Oil Party out of the picture and he will fix this country.

April 24, 2011 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  20. fred

Franklin Graham has no right to judge what type of Christian President Obama is and that's what he's doing. Shame on him. He should know better.

April 24, 2011 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  21. paul

If Trump runs all of his flip flops, lies, and financial scams will be exposed. He will be the laughing stock of the nation. It just goes to show how desperate the Republican party is for a candidate. Like I have said before, the Republican party is like a dog chasing a car. They will go after the next and any candidate (car) that comes driving down the road. Fact is the Republican party has moved so far to the right that they are scaring off most people. They are forcing their social agenda on to the public (just look at what some of the R. governors have done). Time to balance this out.

April 24, 2011 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  22. whoa!

Frankie.... keep your christofascist beliefs and rants safely within the walls of your churches... At a time when the people of the Middle East are fighting and dying for political freedom and some form of democracy... the last thing we here "in the land of the free and home of the brave" need right now is a nauseating little Christian Ayatollah like you spreading hatred and mistrust... Let the more enlightened ones among lead us forward... you and your ilk are not the solution you are the part and parcel of the problem.. go home...

April 24, 2011 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  23. dina

For a country that was built on the separation of church and state, there certainly is a lot of togetherness with religion on their part. We need to get religion out of politics. It has no place there.People need to vote for the most qualified and competant candidate and not for whether he or she goes to church or has a belief system other than to do the right thing for the country. Religion should not be part of politics. It does not help run this country and gets in the way of rational thinking.

April 24, 2011 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  24. BJNJ

Hey! Maybe the "reverend" Al Sharpton will endorse his fellow buffoon, Donald Trump. Trump is a clown. BJNJ

April 24, 2011 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  25. Terry Gloege

If anyone had any doubt about Franklin Graham this latest news flash should provide all the evidence needed to show he's a real NUT CASE!!!!

April 24, 2011 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |