Decision time for some 2012ers
April 25th, 2011

Decision time for some 2012ers

Washington (CNN) - As May 1 approaches, several Republicans are flat out up against their own self-imposed deadlines for when they will make a decision about a presidential bid.

Here's the breakdown, in order of most-to-least concrete timetables the candidates have provided:

Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels: End of April or early May, after the Indiana legislature session ends.

Donald Trump: End of May, after this season of "Celebrity Apprentice" is over.

U.S. Amb. Jon Huntsman: Sometime shortly after he resigns his post at the end of April.

Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann: Will form exploratory committee in June.

Fmr. Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty: Formed exploratory committee in March, announcement expected "later this spring."

Fmr. House Speaker Newt Gingrich: Filed with the IRS in order to raise money in March but has not filed with the FEC as an actual exploratory committee yet, announcement expected in "weeks."

Fmr. Massachussets Gov. Mitt Romney:
Formed exploratory committee in April, announcement expected in the coming months.

Fmr. Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum:
Formed exploratory committee in April, announcement timetable unclear.

Fmr. Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee:
No decision until summer.

Fmr. GOP Vice Presidential Nominee Sarah Palin:
No timetable given.

Filed under: 2012
  1. Not All Docs Play Golf

I have never been a straight ticket voter. Most of my concerns do have me leaning toward the Democratic platforms dating to Reagan. But now, more than ever, I have become so disgusted with the Republican party and their evolution toward extremism that for the first time in my life I can see myself voting straight anti-Republican.

April 25, 2011 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  2. GI Joe

None of them can win. Why waste the taxpayer's time and money?

April 25, 2011 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  3. ja

most would serve better where they are now and in some cases resigning , not wasting money, or boosting their own egos

April 25, 2011 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  4. Chick

What a Joke.....What a Joke!!! Obama/Biden 2012

April 25, 2011 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  5. cj

To me most of these are just too extreme for me to even consider I would want as President. The ones that I would say are normal , are Pawlenty, Romney , Huntsman and Santoium . Huntsman is just too unknown and has been a supporter of Obama on policies. On a person basis , my pick would be Pawlenty. But I think Pres Obama will be hard to beat , with his intellect , class and bearing , he makes a good imagine for the US. But where was Ron Paul in this list?

April 25, 2011 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  6. CommonSense

None of the possible Republican contenders have anything different to bring to the table, let alone this country...same old lies, deceit and games of the Bush Party....even when the President and Democrats do something right for the country they still have bad things to say and that really bothers me...what country are they representing at that point??? The USA or the GOP....

April 25, 2011 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  7. rusty155

All of these Republican and Tea party people are a big joke. There only one that may have a chance to win. The rest are nothing but a big Joke.

April 25, 2011 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  8. once upon a horse

I really hope either Palin or ol' Newty gets the nomination so Obama can DESTROY them next November.I think these 2012ers should really be called 2016ers because that is when they'll have a better chance.

April 25, 2011 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  9. Rudy NYC

No one wants to be the early target. Can you blame them? But, the GOP is rather late this time around with any major contenders announcing a run.

April 25, 2011 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  10. Bruce

It doesn't matter who runs on the Republican ticket. Obozo will lose no matter what. _______ (fill in the blank) 2012!

April 25, 2011 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  11. fayse

America will reject the extremist right wing GOP. Not one of those listed are fit to be President. I will not vote for any US Congress man/woman who voted for the Paul Ryan budget proposal. We have a revenue problem as well as a spending problem. Repeal the Bush tax cuts for everyone. Close the loopholes in the tax code. I need to do more research on the "fair tax" idea before I can comment on that.

April 25, 2011 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  12. FM

The intrusion of Trump has destroyed their previous plans and their willingness.

April 25, 2011 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  13. Anonymous

@Not All Docs Play Golf: My sentiment, exactly. Except for two things; I took the anti-Republican plunge this past November and I go back to Nixon.

April 25, 2011 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  14. T-Man

President Obama will be re-elected, because the republican choices are unthinkable. He deserves a chance to continue turning this country around, even without republican help. People like Hannity, Rush, Savage and the rest of the crazy right world, want him to win too, what else would they have to talk about. They certainly are not going to challenge any republican president on anything,

April 25, 2011 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  15. Al-NY,NY

the dream ticket (for Democrats)....Bachman and Newter

April 25, 2011 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  16. Fred

Bush (Jeb)/ Insert name here – 2012

April 25, 2011 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  17. Kenneth the VI of Minneapolis

Lincoln is rolling over in his grave.....

April 25, 2011 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  18. Kim

Snooze....not a winner or serious contender in the bunch.

Republicans are rallying to take a back several decades – back to some non-existent nirvana – instead of moving this country forward. They're great at campaigning, but they blow when it comes to actual governance. No thanks, I want this country to progress and improve, not regress and decline.

April 25, 2011 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |