Supreme Court won't jump into health care fray - for now
April 25th, 2011

Supreme Court won't jump into health care fray - for now

Washington (CNN) – The Supreme Court, as expected, has refused to jump into the controversial national debate over health care reform at this stage, rejecting a plea from Virginia for a judicial end-around - an expedited review over whether the sweeping federal law is constitutional.

The justices without comment on Monday declined the state's "petition for certiorari before judgment."

FULL STORY

Filed under: Health care • Supreme Court
  1. once upon a horse

@ Char...I agree with you there are a LOT of lies about Obamacare and most of them have been told by the Republicans. The same ones that told the seniors that this healthcare plan wopuld "mess with" their Medicare, then turned around with the Ryan plan that will take their Medicare even worse. The GOP probably thought this would be a slam dunk in theri favor seeing the way the court is set up, but alas it has not turned out that way yet. Besides I like being able to keep my kids on my policy longer with the way the job market is right now.

April 25, 2011 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  2. Bob in PA

No, the time was the day after it was signed into law.

April 25, 2011 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  3. Mike D

I'm still asking why we aren't making any effort to determine WHY the costs of health insurance and medical care are so high to begin with. This bill does nothing to lower the costs, it only mandates we all pay for them as they continue to rise by purchasing insurance...well, at least those of us who are employed, actually pay taxes, and aren't on the presidential preferred waiver list like unions and favored corporations contributing to the billion dollar campaign. This is just more fleecing of America and the sheep are lining up at the gates for another haircut.

April 25, 2011 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  4. Back2Basics

To me it is simple, the concept is the fundamental principles of our Consitiution and its Ammendments – state's rights, where the state's control begins & ends, and where federal government's control begins & ends. I am in favor of state's rights. We can discuss all day which side is right or wrong, and which side is out to really help this country. In the end, because of deep-seated beliefs which few change once they reach adulthood, we will continue to hold on to old cliches, and be swayed by partially informed 'journalists'.

April 25, 2011 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  5. ABM

Finally. This is another nail in the coffin of obstructionist GnOPers who have NO basis to repeal this landmark legislation geared to help the people of this country.

April 25, 2011 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  6. Rudy NYC

If I sit at home in NYC and order something from CA (via internet or phone or whatever), then I pay NYS sales tax. The transaction is considered to have been conducted within the state of New York, not California.

If I choose to drive a car, or otherwise own and operate a motor vehicle, then I am forced to buy insurance. Insurers like the law. It increases their customer base.

April 25, 2011 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  7. AZ DEM

Reading these comments always entertain me...think about how gov't works...think about the process for something becoming a law and then look at how the GOP is grandstanding to repeal health care for Americans...they fight for the "HAVEs" in the country not the "HAVE NOTs" they can say that this issue will be a good one to campagin on in 2012 but repealing health care, deporting illegals, building a fence, and deep cuts in social programs ARE NOT A PLATFORM ANY CANDIDATE can win on..especially none of this field

April 25, 2011 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  8. Sniffit

"The same ones that told the seniors that this healthcare plan wopuld "mess with" their Medicare, then turned around with the Ryan plan that will take their Medicare even worse."

Indeed...I like to call the GOP's proposal "CareLess": Because the GOP couldn't..and therefore they are.

April 25, 2011 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  9. Boomer in Mo

Repeal the health care law and at the same time make it legal for hospitals and other medical providers to deny care to those who have no way to pay (insurance, bag of cash, Medicare, welfare) even if they are going to die without immediate care. Heck yes people will die, including infants, their mothers, the young, the old, lots of folks. I'm tired of paying the 30 percent lug on my medical bills and health insurance to cover deadbeats. Let them die. I no longer care about them as they have driven me to the point of bankruptcy.

April 25, 2011 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  10. GOP = Greed Over People

Well this is good news, from the conservative "activist" judges ruling from the bench. Seems the Obamacare repeal effort MAY have hit a road block.

To all that think mandated insurance is wrong, then by all means sign an affidavitt that states you will not use any medical facilities when you are rushed to the hospital after having imbued too much home brew and then slump outta the Bacalounger and crack your head on the metal pot that serves as your indoor bathroom facilities.

I certainly do not want you mooching of my tax dollars and raising my insurance premiums because you were too cheap to buy health insurance and spent your money on the makin's of 'shine and cable to watch NASCAR.

April 25, 2011 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  11. steve

I don,t give a rats bottom about repealing any Healthcare. The Gop needs to "Immediately" get Jobs going on what they promised!!!! Our President is on the right road to recovery,he has set time tables to "Get out of Afganistan and Iraq" The Splintered Gop wants more War in Midlle East,and no work on Jobs? Figure?

April 25, 2011 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  12. Rudy NYC

To drive down the cost of health care you have to look at what is driving it up. The most powerful force sdriving up health care costs are uninsured patients and malpractice litigation.

If 1 in 10 patients have no health care (actual figure is higher than 10%), this means a $100 dollar procedure afforded to 10 patients should gross $1000, not the $900 that is actually does. To make up for that difference, the price is raised on the 9 of 10 to say $125. This cost is passed along to their health care provider, and then on to employers and consumers.

Malpractice lawsuit settlements are getting out of control. While there are some legitimate cases, there are also a troubling number of cases that serve no purpose other than to line the pockets of lawyers. I'm talking about those commercials you see on TV for "class action" suits that you can call, sign up and get paid. Need more? Look at the percentage that lawyers were trying to take for the 9/11 attacks. They wanted 30% of the settlement.

April 25, 2011 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |