Giuliani: Trump is 'resonating'
Former NYC Mayor Rudy Giuliani said Donald Trump says things the American people need to hear.
April 26th, 2011

Giuliani: Trump is 'resonating'

Washington (CNN) – Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani thinks real estate mogul Donald Trump is the "most exciting candidate in the race" for the White House in 2012.

In an interview with The Washington Times, the 2008 Republican presidential candidate said Trump's controversial comments come from the heart.

"I think he is doing as well as he's doing because he's saying things the American people need to hear – about leadership and about strength and about being proud of America and not apologizing for America," Giuliani said Tuesday. "So I think he's resonating."

Trump has done well in some recent national polls of potential 2012 candidates, while he continues to question President Barack Obama's birthplace. But don't expect Giuliani to jump on the "birther" bandwagon.

"I'm not one who wants to raise that question," he said. "It's been proven to my satisfaction that the president was born in the United States. The documented copy [of his birth certificate] is enough for me. I think the best reason that we should defeat President Barack Obama is because he's not a very good president."

Trump, who has donated extensively to Democratic and Republican political candidates, also contributed $1,000 to Giuliani's mayoral campaign in 1999 and 2000, according to the Federal Election Commission.

Giuliani will travel to the early contest state of New Hampshire next month and said he remains undecided about his own bid for the White House.

"At this point, I'm not actively considering it, but I have the door open," Giuliani said.

Filed under: 2012 • Donald Trump • Rudy Giuliani
  1. ThinkAgain

Trump resonates with people whose heads are empty ... only an idiot believes this birther nonsense.

April 26, 2011 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  2. Denny G.

Giuliani has officially destroyed what little reputation he had left.

April 26, 2011 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  3. willard bullock

Kick out of presdient obama 2012

April 26, 2011 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  4. Four and The Door

____________________________________________________________________________________________
    I would prefer Two and The Door or Three and The Door, but in reality the American people need to stck this out and understand that voting really is important. They need to make sure the person they vote for bath has a good plan and is capable of delivering on it. Otherwise they get 4 years of ineptness and excuses.

April 26, 2011 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  5. CAW in MD

So Trump shows how proud he is of America by spreading lies about the President of the United States? What an interesting demonstration of pride and strength and leadership. I'm sure that's resonating with American voters...

April 26, 2011 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  6. Sam

Oh....Guiliani should have said that it comes from Trump's screwed up head! If this is the guy who talks from the heart rather than the brain, as a POTUS, we are in trouble!

April 26, 2011 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  7. Proud to be an Independent !

The part that is shocking is that Rudy Giuliani actually got thru an entire statement without mentioning 9 / 11 . The rest was just a bunch of jibberish like he alway's does ! Trump has lost all credibility , the only people that he is resonating with are people who are already of that mindset ! The sane people are more concerned about the issues ! I'm an independent who is already being turned off by the republican's ! The democrat's seem to be the only ones that are concerned about job's ! The Democrat's will be getting my vote this cycle ! Just looking at the republican's in action is starting to make me ill !

April 26, 2011 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  8. Moe NY

LOL...I suggest you close the door as far as you and being POTUS is concerned. As for your opinion regarding Trump, well I guess that is one reason why you should close the door on any political position...too funny.

April 26, 2011 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  9. Matt

This is the clown who campaigned in one state and lost in a landslide.

April 26, 2011 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  10. Kari Hope

Giuliani is a pathetic tool.

April 26, 2011 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  11. the situation

one adultery to another. Oh well, like they say "Birds of a Feather, Flocks Together"

April 26, 2011 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  12. Republican Robber Baron

This coming from the man whom exploited 9/11 for political fame. Not to mention his most loyal political ally, NYPD commissioner Kerik, sits in Federal Prison.

April 26, 2011 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  13. Just Me

Another looser who dont know when to shut up and get lost. Get back under your rock Mr. 911! Enough already.

April 26, 2011 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  14. Tim, Seattle

Says failed loser candidate Ghouliani ...still milking 911 and victim families for fame

April 26, 2011 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  15. Russ

Hahahahaha........he's resonating alright. Sounds like the wind howling through the trees to me. And who really cares what Rudy red lips thinks anyway. He remains undecided about running for President. Let's see there Rudy, after your last pathetic failed attempt I wouldn't think there is anything to think about. You aren't running. There I said it for you. Can anyone say "loser"?

April 26, 2011 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  16. J

Trump is getting a reaction out of dumb hicks so Giuliani thinks that guy has a chance?

April 26, 2011 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  17. LIB

from one fool to another

April 26, 2011 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  18. NO TEA PLEASE!

Trump is an angry, racist man that can not come to grips that President Barrack Obama is a black man and that his legacy will be stamped in our history books forever. See Mr. Trump, money can not buy everything.!

April 26, 2011 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  19. works4me

Here's your sign Rudy. Trump is a circus act... plain and simple even for you!

April 26, 2011 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  20. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Giuliani needs to just keep talking about Trump "is saying what people want to hear" and I pray that Trump keeps talking about the President's birth certificate and anyone else who wants talk about it. In fact I think I'll start talking about it and why don't we all join in that conversation.

April 26, 2011 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  21. 19usmc88

This is why the GOP cannot be taken seriously. As much as the country feels that President Obama is not doing a good job, they are still not ready to make the leap of faith to any of the wacko Republican prospects like Trump, Palin, Bachman, Gingrich etc. The country wants change, but it also wants reality, not comedy!

April 26, 2011 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  22. Max

Rudy and Donnie used to sleep together. That's why Rudy's first wife left him and why Donnie's 14th wife left him

April 26, 2011 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  23. PalmSpringsCAL

How much more stupid do these people(Repubs/Trump/Birthers/Giulani) have to be? Many People still don't have jobs. Things are getting expensive. Can you think of something and do things to make life better.? Stop paying attention to Donald Dump.

April 26, 2011 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  24. Charlie in Maine

Yeah exciting. I think Time Magazine said that about their man of the year back in the late 30s......hmm

April 26, 2011 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  25. usualone

Wow, what a combination. Both knew each other in NYC and represent the worst of that city. Loud, exaggerators, sensationalists, and Trump all is about Trump. And those are only a few adjectives to describe these men who have demonstrated they don"t have ethics - especially when it comes to marriage. I guess the saying - it takes one to know one applies here.

April 26, 2011 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |