Trump: 'I've done a great service to the American people'
April 27th, 2011

Trump: 'I've done a great service to the American people'

(CNN)– Now that President Barack Obama has released his long-form birth certificate, real estate mogul and possible presidential candidate Donald Trump is ready for other issues–one of them apparently whether he will pay the investigators he sent to Hawaii to look into the place of Obama's birth.

In an interview airing Wednesday on CNN's "John King, USA," Trump asserted, "I don't make up anything," when asked about his earlier claims that Obama's birth certificate could be missing. Still, he is undecided about paying for the sleuths he sent to Hawaii to investigate the issue.

"Would I pay them? I don't know," he said. "I can say this, let me just tell you, I don't make up anything…I have done a great service to the American people."

When pressed on his role in stirring up birther controversy by CNN's Chief National Correspondent John King, Trump downplayed his actions by saying he didn't understand why President Obama didn't release his birth certificate earlier. "I heard everyone wanted to see it and I was the only one that got him to do it," he said.

"Every time I sit down with the press all they want to talk about is the birth certificate and I got him to do something that nobody else could get him to do and I take great credit for that."

Trump responded to the president's motivation for releasing his long form birth certificate as a way to end "silliness" by saying, "We have a president that's incompetent…I am a very serious person. I am a person that has made great wealth."

Trump, currently in the first-in-the-nation primary state of New Hampshire for several appearances, says he hasn't seen the long-form birth certificate but now hopes "a lot of experts will analyze it."

He indicated that he's ready to move on to other issues, since the place of the president's birth is no longer in question, and affirmed that he's ready to focus on other subjects "like China ripping us off."

"I'm really happy that we can finally get on to that subject because that's my strength," he said. "Jobs, the economy, getting OPEC to behave. We have all the power…they don't respect our leadership," he continued.

If there were any doubt on which ticket Trump would run, if he decides to run for president, given his history of cozying up to the reform party in 1999, and later saying the Republicans are too crazy, and the Democrats are too liberal, Trump settled the question.

"I'm looking to run as a Republican."

"I'm doing great in the polls, you know why?" he continued. "Because people in New Hampshire as well as people in the country don't want to be ripped off by a nation that does business with us."

"Our leader is incompetent, and people want to see a change and that's why I'm doing it."

Trump has convinced at least one key GOP operative that he's not taking a potential bid for the presidency lightly. In an interview with King, Jack Kimball, chairman of the New Hampshire state Republican Party, said he believes Trump's visit to the state is an indication that he's serious about running.

"Just his appearance here today I think is ominous," he said. "I think he wouldn't have bothered to come here if he wasn't taking the next most serious step toward that decision."

Filed under: 2012 • Content Partner • Donald Trump • New Hampshire • TV-John King U.S.A.
  1. Scott R. Jones

Trump is one thing that could guarantee Obama a second term. Keep it up.

April 27, 2011 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  2. joe

Anyone who votes for Trump seriously needs help. Also, if he runs the country like he ran his casinos, were in lots of trouble.Did any of these "Pro-Trump" people bother to look into his track record in Atlantic City?

April 27, 2011 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  3. Anonymous

Trump, thanks for showing your true color, you have no class at all. Your wealth adds up to nothing. Keep your day job while you still have it. You are no president.

April 27, 2011 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  4. Kevin

I'm trying to figure out what service he provided. all he did was waste time and take attention away from the real issues. This man is a narssasitic egomaniac

April 27, 2011 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  5. amazed

I am continuously amazed that the country actually listens to this man. What a complete joke. As a registered Independant who almost always votes Republican, I would think that I would be a constituent from whom Trump aspires to recieve a vote from. I am continuously insulted by this man's arrogance and apparently complete belief that the American public is so stupid as to fall for his nonsense. Making money isn't that hard. He's made and lost money. So what? Somehow that shows that he has the brain power to run a country? What an embarassment he is. He should stick to what he's good at... marrying bimbos and spending money.

April 27, 2011 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  6. Kyle

My god... will he ever shut up about his wealth? Mr. Trump.... nobody really cares that you're wealthy. We want someone that can fix problems, bring back jobs, end unnecessary wars, fix health care, and shrink the deficit. I don't care if you're the richest person in the world or some random bum on the side of the street holding a sign, as long as you can fix the problems!

Does he really think people are that impressed with him? I've never seen an ego of this magnitude before and can't tell if he is being serious or simply being facetious. I mean... how do you bankrupt a casino? The house always wins!

April 27, 2011 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  7. J

the Best thing he could do is go away. You haven't done anything for the american people.

April 27, 2011 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  8. Paul G - Texas

Trump is a liar and he doesn't add anything to the political discourse. I don't understand why the media cares about what this clown has to say.

April 27, 2011 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  9. AudreyinGa

That thing John King just interviewed was disrespectful. John, you tried to stand up to him but he got the best of you and took
    control of the interview because you let him. Control the interview next time. Please!

April 27, 2011 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  10. XWngLady

Donald Trump has got to be THE most SELF-SERVING individual in the country. "i've done a great service". You have done no such thing. You have actually caused the collective intelligence of our nation to decline to about a 3rd grade level. You are an opportunist who is seeking only to serve yourself. Its nauseating.....But remember Mr. Trump, you WILL reap what you have sown.

April 27, 2011 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  11. Lisa

I like Donald Trump! Who isn't sick of 2 faced politicians? Love to see someone 'real' run for office.

April 27, 2011 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  12. Gary Raymond

I doubt that this new release of birth certificate information will make much difference among the majority of "birthers", who likely will continue to persist in their convictions. I think the "birthers" now qualify for joining the Flat Earth Society (yes, there are actually people who still believe that), and those who believe that our Apollo missions to the moon were an elaborate government hoax. I actually find those types of convictions more scary than humorous.

April 27, 2011 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  13. Watch your back

Seems to me -there should be an investigation into how did Trump know that the bc was missing
    Pay somebody on the inside to look for it-another Trump FRAUD -CNN should follow up

April 27, 2011 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  14. Janette

Please don't put this clown in the front page. He is now talking non-sense about Obama's Harvard credentials and grades. Give me a break. As an independent, if Obama is running against this narcisist, egocentrist and in my opinion racist D. Trump, I will definetely vote for Obama. No question about it. Donald Trump is looking more and more as an unqualified individual. Only people like Hugo Chavez talk like Trump and look how he is leading his country. That's what will happen here in my opinion if we elect this clown.

April 27, 2011 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  15. bonecrusher

We all hope that Trump will continue his great service to America and open his financial records to the public as a candidate for the Presidency. Only then will we know if he is serious or just posturing to hype is ratings or public image. Surely there are odds on this in Las Vegas at this time.

April 27, 2011 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  16. Forrest

Well, he's probably right. Obama has been ignoring the birthers for years now. It didn't take long after Trump got involved for Obama to release his certificate. Say what you want about the man, but he does seem to produce results.

April 27, 2011 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  17. Johnny cain

The media attacks Trump, and his numbers go up......people dont like basis media.....CNN, you will make Trump win!

April 27, 2011 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  18. kurtk

Oh Yah, He has done a great service? Hes distracted the nation from real issues. He's stirred the lunatic fringe up to a frenzy to question the President and further divide the country. Trump do us a REAL favor.... GO AWAY!

April 27, 2011 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  19. d

now here is my question Mr. Trump....Is your hair real or do we need to send an PI to confirm this information. Give us proof that your hair is real!

April 27, 2011 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  20. Richard Dickson

Congratulations, Donald. You proved .... something most sensible people have accepted as proven for about three years now. Thanks so very much.

April 27, 2011 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  21. mfmg

Why give Trump an interview??? We shouldn't give him any attention until he has answers to this countries problems. Until he can spew something positive.
    By the way when he takes care of China for us will that be before or after he discontinues his clothing line made there?

April 27, 2011 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  22. Ed

Please leave us alone

April 27, 2011 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  23. luren

Just because Trump is wealthy it does not mean he holds all wisdom.He needs to stick to what he does best..please leave the countries interest alone. If he were really looking out for the greater good he would take a stand on something of more substance!

April 27, 2011 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  24. David

"Trump: 'I've done a great service to the American people", yes you have Trump, you have proven once again what a totally obnoxious person you are. You would probably take credit if your pet took a dump in the litter box. Please people see through this blowhard, I mean he bankrupted a casino, do you have any idea how difficult that would be? I am totally embarrassed that even a small portion of our population would consider Trump as presidential material.

April 27, 2011 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |