Trump: 'I've done a great service to the American people'
April 27th, 2011

Trump: 'I've done a great service to the American people'

(CNN)– Now that President Barack Obama has released his long-form birth certificate, real estate mogul and possible presidential candidate Donald Trump is ready for other issues–one of them apparently whether he will pay the investigators he sent to Hawaii to look into the place of Obama's birth.

In an interview airing Wednesday on CNN's "John King, USA," Trump asserted, "I don't make up anything," when asked about his earlier claims that Obama's birth certificate could be missing. Still, he is undecided about paying for the sleuths he sent to Hawaii to investigate the issue.

"Would I pay them? I don't know," he said. "I can say this, let me just tell you, I don't make up anything…I have done a great service to the American people."

When pressed on his role in stirring up birther controversy by CNN's Chief National Correspondent John King, Trump downplayed his actions by saying he didn't understand why President Obama didn't release his birth certificate earlier. "I heard everyone wanted to see it and I was the only one that got him to do it," he said.

"Every time I sit down with the press all they want to talk about is the birth certificate and I got him to do something that nobody else could get him to do and I take great credit for that."

Trump responded to the president's motivation for releasing his long form birth certificate as a way to end "silliness" by saying, "We have a president that's incompetent…I am a very serious person. I am a person that has made great wealth."

Trump, currently in the first-in-the-nation primary state of New Hampshire for several appearances, says he hasn't seen the long-form birth certificate but now hopes "a lot of experts will analyze it."

He indicated that he's ready to move on to other issues, since the place of the president's birth is no longer in question, and affirmed that he's ready to focus on other subjects "like China ripping us off."

"I'm really happy that we can finally get on to that subject because that's my strength," he said. "Jobs, the economy, getting OPEC to behave. We have all the power…they don't respect our leadership," he continued.

If there were any doubt on which ticket Trump would run, if he decides to run for president, given his history of cozying up to the reform party in 1999, and later saying the Republicans are too crazy, and the Democrats are too liberal, Trump settled the question.

"I'm looking to run as a Republican."

"I'm doing great in the polls, you know why?" he continued. "Because people in New Hampshire as well as people in the country don't want to be ripped off by a nation that does business with us."

"Our leader is incompetent, and people want to see a change and that's why I'm doing it."

Trump has convinced at least one key GOP operative that he's not taking a potential bid for the presidency lightly. In an interview with King, Jack Kimball, chairman of the New Hampshire state Republican Party, said he believes Trump's visit to the state is an indication that he's serious about running.

"Just his appearance here today I think is ominous," he said. "I think he wouldn't have bothered to come here if he wasn't taking the next most serious step toward that decision."

Filed under: 2012 • Content Partner • Donald Trump • New Hampshire • TV-John King U.S.A.
  1. Buddy Jackson

Why is the media even talking to this pompous imbecile?

April 27, 2011 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  2. JJ

Donald Trump has done us all an injustice by continuing with his stupidity. He should be committed.

April 27, 2011 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  3. adam

Trump, you have done a great service. You let everyone know what a goon you are. Idiot.

April 27, 2011 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  4. Chris Bauman

I've lost a great deal of respect for Donald Trump as a result of his birther campaign and he is proud of his actions in spite of the fact that President Obama just proved him completely wrong. What an enormous waste of time and energy when there are so many pressing issues facing this country. If President Obama was white would anyone really question his citizenship?

April 27, 2011 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  5. BLKMAN

interesting..............why is it soooooooooooooo many white people in America are clearly racist and no one in the public media is every using the word? If people follow DT it clearly is about 1/2 of my Presidents ethnic makeup. SAD. American's might really give some good thinking to grow UP!

April 27, 2011 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  6. PGelsman

I wouldn't vote for Trump for dog catcher!

April 27, 2011 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  7. Bob

I am embarrassed for The Donald

April 27, 2011 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  8. Theorian

Who is Trump that Obama has to answer to him anyway? And if he (Trump) were to take the self righteous approach by saying, answer to America, he would've understood that if our government would've had the man out of office and Biden in the chair without any hesitation technicality or not. I wish Trump just tell us when the book is coming out so we can pre-order it.

April 27, 2011 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  9. skarphace

Trump: "I don't make up anything."

Hmmm. You said before that his birth certificate didn't exist. Now you are claiming credit for him displaying it. You are a hypocritical, lying, egotistical, racist jerk. You need to publicly apologize to our President for your disrespect. I know you won't, but you should. This is one moderate that will never vote for you under any circumstances. Crawl under a rock and die.

April 27, 2011 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  10. c

Trump is an egotistical mad maniac. He got Obama to release his long-form birth certificate. Bull. That could have been found and discussed long ago if anyone was really serious about it. Trump has nothing in this ballgame. He might be a decent real estate mogul and all, but he's still a pompous loudmouth who stretches the truth every time he opens his mouth,. He has opinions. Sure. I have mine. No Trumpo!!!

April 27, 2011 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  11. brian

the only thing truly expose here is how big of a tool trump really is, and how full of himself he is... he has done the country a great service, he has shown the truth of his own jackheadedness

April 27, 2011 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  12. JONK

The Federal Government should now send him a bill for wasting taxpayer's money on a frivolous claim where he was proven wrong.

April 27, 2011 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  13. tiehacker

what an ego...... idiocracy, were already there

April 27, 2011 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  14. taffd

Trump, you have not done anyone a service, you jacked up prima donna bully, you have simply wasted everyone's time

April 27, 2011 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  15. Pam

Donald Trump has done nothing for America. Period. This egotistical attitude is precisely why he cannot be President. Cher's comments today on Twitter are right on target.

April 27, 2011 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  16. Indra-Alexis

You got him to release it? Delusional old man...he showed his birth certificate back in '08 stating he was born in the state of Hawaii. Yes...donald..Hawaii WAS a state when Obama was born. All he did was release the longer form to shut you up. So Mr. Trump where are your tax forms??? Either nut up or stfu. Obama gave the "birther" morons more proof he is a 100% grade A, American! I hope someone asks Trump to hand over his tax returns, I gladly will I don't have skeletons in my closet like he does.

April 27, 2011 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  17. A.M. Mountain View

Trump is crazy, and if he runs - I'll vote for Obama. The only thing he's talked about is his wealth, not what he can do for the country.

April 27, 2011 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  18. Alina77

9 Americans today killed in Afghanistan and we have this man that builds popularity on story's that he picked out of his fat asz. Shame on you MEDIA.

April 27, 2011 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  19. eb

What an arrogant loon....wait, I guess that makes him the perfect candidate.

Enough with celebrities' egos thinking they're the answer to the world's problems. Ask a Californian about Ahhnalhd, or Minnesotan about "The Body". Train wrecks, justplain old train wrecks. This egomaniac could pay me a million bucks, and I wouldn't vote for him for dogcatcher, much less POTUS.

April 27, 2011 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  20. Junior

Shame on Mr. Obama!!! Shame !! Making Fun of the American People , telling Joke's !! Shame on President Obama!!

April 27, 2011 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  21. Jonathan

Thank you Mr. Trump for this great service to the country. Now we can all lay it to rest while we laugh at your face.

April 27, 2011 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  22. hozo1

no you are a Racist pig and the biggest phony on the planet ... the only service you will do is get Obama elected again as the majority of voters abandon the Republican party ... wow has this country's leadership gone down the drain

April 27, 2011 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  23. Greeny

President Obama had a pat hand and no reason to play it until the time was right, while Trump and others stirred up the pot. Trump is the fool who kept raising the bet against a Royal Flush. Now he's bragging about his loss! Donald can go back to selling swamp land.

April 27, 2011 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  24. Brian J.

This guy is not ashamed to spin anything. He had the most shallow campaign and his only way of getting attention was hanging onto this birther claim, and his candidacy was crushed in one single day so he looks like a fool now, and he knows it.

April 27, 2011 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  25. Leslie

WHAT A TOOL!!! Guess that hair isnt' the only STUPID thing about "Donald" he's lucky he's rich, otherwise he would be a very lonely man.

What service...you made yourself look like a moron over an issue that was a moot point. It wasn't like you were going to get Obama kicked out of office. That fool made a mockery of our justice department, thinking a person running for President could fool them.

WHAT A TOOL!