Trump: 'I've done a great service to the American people'
April 27th, 2011

Trump: 'I've done a great service to the American people'

(CNN)– Now that President Barack Obama has released his long-form birth certificate, real estate mogul and possible presidential candidate Donald Trump is ready for other issues–one of them apparently whether he will pay the investigators he sent to Hawaii to look into the place of Obama's birth.

In an interview airing Wednesday on CNN's "John King, USA," Trump asserted, "I don't make up anything," when asked about his earlier claims that Obama's birth certificate could be missing. Still, he is undecided about paying for the sleuths he sent to Hawaii to investigate the issue.

"Would I pay them? I don't know," he said. "I can say this, let me just tell you, I don't make up anything…I have done a great service to the American people."

When pressed on his role in stirring up birther controversy by CNN's Chief National Correspondent John King, Trump downplayed his actions by saying he didn't understand why President Obama didn't release his birth certificate earlier. "I heard everyone wanted to see it and I was the only one that got him to do it," he said.

"Every time I sit down with the press all they want to talk about is the birth certificate and I got him to do something that nobody else could get him to do and I take great credit for that."

Trump responded to the president's motivation for releasing his long form birth certificate as a way to end "silliness" by saying, "We have a president that's incompetent…I am a very serious person. I am a person that has made great wealth."

Trump, currently in the first-in-the-nation primary state of New Hampshire for several appearances, says he hasn't seen the long-form birth certificate but now hopes "a lot of experts will analyze it."

He indicated that he's ready to move on to other issues, since the place of the president's birth is no longer in question, and affirmed that he's ready to focus on other subjects "like China ripping us off."

"I'm really happy that we can finally get on to that subject because that's my strength," he said. "Jobs, the economy, getting OPEC to behave. We have all the power…they don't respect our leadership," he continued.

If there were any doubt on which ticket Trump would run, if he decides to run for president, given his history of cozying up to the reform party in 1999, and later saying the Republicans are too crazy, and the Democrats are too liberal, Trump settled the question.

"I'm looking to run as a Republican."

"I'm doing great in the polls, you know why?" he continued. "Because people in New Hampshire as well as people in the country don't want to be ripped off by a nation that does business with us."

"Our leader is incompetent, and people want to see a change and that's why I'm doing it."

Trump has convinced at least one key GOP operative that he's not taking a potential bid for the presidency lightly. In an interview with King, Jack Kimball, chairman of the New Hampshire state Republican Party, said he believes Trump's visit to the state is an indication that he's serious about running.

"Just his appearance here today I think is ominous," he said. "I think he wouldn't have bothered to come here if he wasn't taking the next most serious step toward that decision."

Filed under: 2012 • Content Partner • Donald Trump • New Hampshire • TV-John King U.S.A.
  1. Sue

Trump is a complete waste of synthetic hair. Maybe an errant fake hair entered a pore and separated his miniscule brain in twain. ORRRRRR maybe it's because he is an uneducated prat!

April 27, 2011 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  2. NoNonCents

Maybe "The Donald" could also clear up the alien crash landing in Roswell, the lone gunman controversy in the Kennedy assassination, and the real burning question of the century–Is Elvis really dead? If he can do that, he will really have done a great service for Americans who spend their time worrying about such things.

April 27, 2011 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  3. Mike S

would you stop giving him air time. All you are is a commercial for his show. Start talking about some real news, and stop trying to be a tabloid.
    I remember when CNN had news.

April 27, 2011 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  4. chuck daily

Trump is an idiot.

April 27, 2011 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  5. Stevenson

Trump is a rude, arrogant man .All press needs to band together and shut him down!
    He is one nasty old man who has been married twice , bankrupt more then once and is petrified to answer questions so then the "SLUG" goes on a mean attack! Shut him down!

April 27, 2011 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  6. Joseph

What a self important monster. I wouldn't put Trump in charge of a 7-11, let alone the entire country.

April 27, 2011 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  7. Jim

Ohhhh boy! His arrogance is running as wild as his hair!
    Pretty soon he will take credit for negotiating the creation of Adam and Eve!

April 27, 2011 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  8. Mark NH

So how many jobs did this save??

April 27, 2011 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  9. Bassman

Pres. Obama totally blinked today. Showing just how weak the President is. Reagan would never have given in so easily Pres. Bush stood up to the 9-11 terrorists. Obama, on the other hand, was manhandled by Palin and Trump.

April 27, 2011 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  10. D.

Trump is taking credit for Obama making Trump look like an idiot. What a tool.

April 27, 2011 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  11. auntieann

I can't believe this guy. How can anyone want to elect someone who has gone bankrupt and is all for junk publicity. Obama has been the quiet one with honor. He showed you who has the class Mr. Trump!

April 27, 2011 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  12. ITALIAN NONNO

This guy Trumpet is joke,.. nothing but a ROSPO GONFIO( Italian for a boated toad.) Instead of being a man, and admitting you was wrong,.. he moves on to other accusations,.. now it's the law school grades. Mr. Trumpet,.. you are not a man,.. no man would wear a bale of hay on his head,.. you are a clown, a liar, a coward, and lacking in any substance.

April 27, 2011 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  13. Me

Dump Trump (What a waste of air.)

April 27, 2011 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  14. Brian

Great service? Oh please. At least with his wacky charts and graphs a guy like Ross Perot tried to educate people on the dangers of the growing deficit and NAFTA and - surprise - he was 100% right. Trump is just a self-promoter. The analysts caution that his grabbing hold of the 'birther' issue could be detrimental to a presidential run but what they fail to realize is that Donald Trump has no interest in running for President. He would NEVER willingly reveal his financial information. He's just doing this to generate publicity for his crappy reality shows.

April 27, 2011 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  15. latftp

Trump is a narcissistic huckster and a chronic liar. He exaggerates everything he says to portray himself in the best possible light. The only great service he's performed is to promoting his personal brand. Trump is a waste of the American people's time and attention.

April 27, 2011 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  16. Ernest

for such an older man Trump should grow up

April 27, 2011 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  17. Dan

Judging by how conspiratorial Americans are, there is no wonder why we invaded Iraq on the premise of weapons of mass destruction. Paranoia poisons the world.

April 27, 2011 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  18. Anne Robichaud

I now believe(and I did enjoy Mr Trump before) that he,s an absolute MORON,which I believe is one level higher than retarded if you look up intelligence scales.This man is now considering a presidential run.............whoa can you imagine his conversations with other world leaders and how his ignorant arrogance would come off.I know the Amercian people are smarter than to consider this.

April 27, 2011 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  19. Tony in Maine

Rats – When I saw the headline, I thought Trump had decided to move to South Georgia and become the mayor of Grytviken.

Whadda maroon!

April 27, 2011 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  20. Gsmith

I have never seen , heard or read of ANYONE who thinks so highly of oneself as Donald Trump. I not sure how we as a Nation have survived to now without him.

Frankly he is the most arrogant person I have ever experienced in my 60 plus years here on earth. Those that support him are mindless. With all the real challenges facing this country and world, he continues to use his "celebrity" to create a side show, which we can ill afford.....Enough already!

Sometimes I wonder if he has a "666" tattooed under his wave-over....let's investigate it!!

April 27, 2011 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  21. bobby

You're fired Trump.

April 27, 2011 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  22. Marta

We have a great president in President Barack Obama.
    All the people who questioned everything about him, inlcuding his birthplace cannot stomach the fact that a black man is in the White House.
    9/11 was orchestrated by the American government..the Holocaust didn't happen – we urgently need better mental health care in this country. And the individuals, who were diagnosed already should take their meds and/or up their dosages.
    It's too late for Donald Trump.

April 27, 2011 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  23. citizen 111369

Donald Trump is the Charlie Sheen of politics

April 27, 2011 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  24. Anon

No, you didn't you idiot.
    You did nothing. You jumped on a bandwagon at the last second.

April 27, 2011 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  25. Jose

Great service to the American people? Man, that hair implant bust have damaged his neurons. What a clown!

April 27, 2011 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |