Trump: 'I've done a great service to the American people'
April 27th, 2011

Trump: 'I've done a great service to the American people'

(CNN)– Now that President Barack Obama has released his long-form birth certificate, real estate mogul and possible presidential candidate Donald Trump is ready for other issues–one of them apparently whether he will pay the investigators he sent to Hawaii to look into the place of Obama's birth.

In an interview airing Wednesday on CNN's "John King, USA," Trump asserted, "I don't make up anything," when asked about his earlier claims that Obama's birth certificate could be missing. Still, he is undecided about paying for the sleuths he sent to Hawaii to investigate the issue.

"Would I pay them? I don't know," he said. "I can say this, let me just tell you, I don't make up anything…I have done a great service to the American people."

When pressed on his role in stirring up birther controversy by CNN's Chief National Correspondent John King, Trump downplayed his actions by saying he didn't understand why President Obama didn't release his birth certificate earlier. "I heard everyone wanted to see it and I was the only one that got him to do it," he said.

"Every time I sit down with the press all they want to talk about is the birth certificate and I got him to do something that nobody else could get him to do and I take great credit for that."

Trump responded to the president's motivation for releasing his long form birth certificate as a way to end "silliness" by saying, "We have a president that's incompetent…I am a very serious person. I am a person that has made great wealth."

Trump, currently in the first-in-the-nation primary state of New Hampshire for several appearances, says he hasn't seen the long-form birth certificate but now hopes "a lot of experts will analyze it."

He indicated that he's ready to move on to other issues, since the place of the president's birth is no longer in question, and affirmed that he's ready to focus on other subjects "like China ripping us off."

"I'm really happy that we can finally get on to that subject because that's my strength," he said. "Jobs, the economy, getting OPEC to behave. We have all the power…they don't respect our leadership," he continued.

If there were any doubt on which ticket Trump would run, if he decides to run for president, given his history of cozying up to the reform party in 1999, and later saying the Republicans are too crazy, and the Democrats are too liberal, Trump settled the question.

"I'm looking to run as a Republican."

"I'm doing great in the polls, you know why?" he continued. "Because people in New Hampshire as well as people in the country don't want to be ripped off by a nation that does business with us."

"Our leader is incompetent, and people want to see a change and that's why I'm doing it."

Trump has convinced at least one key GOP operative that he's not taking a potential bid for the presidency lightly. In an interview with King, Jack Kimball, chairman of the New Hampshire state Republican Party, said he believes Trump's visit to the state is an indication that he's serious about running.

"Just his appearance here today I think is ominous," he said. "I think he wouldn't have bothered to come here if he wasn't taking the next most serious step toward that decision."

Filed under: 2012 • Content Partner • Donald Trump • New Hampshire • TV-John King U.S.A.
  1. RG

The rooster taking credit for the sun rising. Obama should have applied conditions. I'll show you my birth certificate if you shave off that combover."

April 27, 2011 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  2. lila

Oh, and as to the question.. "What took him so long"? Well, I can't remember in my life time when another candidate for president or sitting president had to release their birth certificate to the public. The people asking were doing so because of his race. It was racist. Even so, Obama released the common legal form his birth state issued. It is good enough for every American agency as proof of national citizenship but not good enough for the racist paranoid loons. You know.. he might be a secret Muslim.. whisper, whisper.. it was offensive. So, why did he decide to humor the carnival barkers.. maybe to make them look dumb. Maybe he just coincided to the racist demands became they had become obnoxious to the point that not doing so was taking conversation away from real issues. In any case, he won. As he always knew he would. He is a national citizen and the loons will not be any more willing to believe a long form birth certificate than they were willing to believe a short form. In the end.. the racist will just prove what they are to the moderate voters. Racist loons.

April 27, 2011 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  3. H

The only thing trump has done is bring attention to his toupee. I want his certificate proving he isn't harboring illegally smuggled animals in that thing

April 27, 2011 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  4. Greg

Did John King ask him for the tax returns? Or call him on any of this absurd b.s.? Or did he just sit there and listen, giving Trump more free air time?

Hard hitting stuff, CNN, hard hitting stuff.

April 27, 2011 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  5. bufffalo2002

I agree Trump did us all a great service. First of all he embarrassed himself by calling out the President as not born here, and ultimately was proven wrong.

The service is that this destroys Trumps Presidential bid, and spares us all having to look at that ridiculous hairdoo for 4 years.

April 27, 2011 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  6. Peter the Great

Trump will have done the country a great service if he shuts up for a few days in a row.

April 27, 2011 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  7. Rev Mkell,

GREAT SERVICE???? Kissing up to the Tea Party fringe is not a great service to America!

April 27, 2011 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  8. Dan

Wow. If Mr Trump hasn't said a mouthful he hasn't said a thing. First of all this is like Reality TV. He's ranting about everything but what's important. I have never seen this nation so disrespectful to the President of the United States. For once in this mans' term can we just support the Man who has the job? Just one serious question, Since when are we a hired gun? That statement about "We'll take out of Khadafi for 5 billion dollars", was a slap in the face to the men and women who serve this country and risk thier lives for it. Mr. Trump should be able to understand the value of human life before attempting to run for Head of the Greatest Country in the World.
    True American

April 27, 2011 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  9. J Morgan

CNN you should be ashamed of yourselves. This is hyping Mr. Trump the best you can offer? Cover the tornadoes. Cover world events. But this? Have you no sense of pride about even trying to be journalists?

April 27, 2011 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  10. bill dantoni

Thanks, Mr. Trump, this country owes you for standing up to the powers that be. Keep up the good work and hopefully you will become the next president.

April 27, 2011 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  11. usualone

Trump may not pay these people who he supposedly sent to Hawaii. He has no integrity. He did not do the country any service. This news is old news about the President. We cannot help that people don't want to believe it - and Trump is either as ignorant as they are or he is using them. If there were investigators, they should be paid and if not I hope they come forth to the press. He is like a sick cartoon or an itch that won't go away.

April 27, 2011 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  12. Milhouse

If you look at the long form it has the word Kenya on it. Even though it's referring to his father that should be enough to keep this going for years. You can't edumacate faith :)

April 27, 2011 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  13. A. Darton

Today Donald Trump have been proven to be a racists liar, and only an stupid arrogent bully like him can think he has done something great. He stated over and over that Barack Obama was not born in this country. A lie. Then he said the birth certificate was missing. A lie. Trump was born with a silver spoon in his mouth and he used daddy's money to climb his way up the ladder. It's clear to see he is nothing but a racists lying snake oil salesman.

April 27, 2011 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  14. BJ

Well congratulations on your service to this country, My Trump; you served NO ONE because everyone else dropped the topic LONG ago. Mr. Trump, you are a bully! The only service you did for this country was to expose your bullying tactics. Thanks for the exposure of your true self.

April 27, 2011 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  15. Deborah Katz

I cannot believe Donald Trump has garnered so much attention on this subject. He is not only making himself look like an idiot, but he is making the people of the United States look like idiots to even entertain his comments! Mr. Obama is our duly elected President. Case closed! Mr. Trump will never be President of the United States, no matter how much noise he makes.

April 27, 2011 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  16. Jean

Do something useful feed the hungry people, bring peace to the world that will be a great service.

So sad to hear such a thing listen to you.

April 27, 2011 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  17. STAB

i would believe the donald before i would believe anything i hear on the turner/fonda caommunist station,the main media pu this circus clown( b.o.) in office and you intend to keep him there,your plan for a world order of socialism is working and you will not be happy until you and your kind destroy the u.s.a.!!!!!!!!!!!

blitzer and matthews will be to rulers of your great nation! YOU WANT TO BET YOU WILL NEVER MAKE IT?

April 27, 2011 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  18. LocoMotive

and is he related to john boehner?? they both cry and whine and look orange??? i'm just say'in

April 27, 2011 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  19. MACT

What a complete moron and egomaniac this man is. The GOP should distance themselves from him as fast as possible.

April 27, 2011 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  20. howlyn

What a pompous, arrogant, transparently slimy, self-aggrandizing carnival huckster who uses any and every opportunity to sell himself and his products. He is like the pedophile priest or the closet gay evangelist who take advantage of the unsuspecting. He is a booger on the American tapestry.

April 27, 2011 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  21. Mike

I use to have so much respect for this idiot,then again i guess i just respected his bank account. Oh well!

April 27, 2011 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  22. Me

This man knows no shame. He is a circus. It's not only The Donald. It's also Mr. Chapter Eleven.

April 27, 2011 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  23. johngeezer

Donald Trump takes credit for everything he does, whether it is credible nor not.

April 27, 2011 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  24. BJs65

No Donald, you have not done a great service. You've wasted a great deal of time and money and spread more and more hate. You know what they say about karma – I'd be looking over my shoulder if I were you.

April 27, 2011 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  25. DeeCee2011

The Donald may find some resonance by spending time with Justice Antonin Scalia. Both have some really GREAT ideas (not) – but both are sure about it, and both FAIL to listen to their advisors about public gaffaws...

April 27, 2011 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |