Trump: 'I've done a great service to the American people'
April 27th, 2011

Trump: 'I've done a great service to the American people'

(CNN)– Now that President Barack Obama has released his long-form birth certificate, real estate mogul and possible presidential candidate Donald Trump is ready for other issues–one of them apparently whether he will pay the investigators he sent to Hawaii to look into the place of Obama's birth.

In an interview airing Wednesday on CNN's "John King, USA," Trump asserted, "I don't make up anything," when asked about his earlier claims that Obama's birth certificate could be missing. Still, he is undecided about paying for the sleuths he sent to Hawaii to investigate the issue.

"Would I pay them? I don't know," he said. "I can say this, let me just tell you, I don't make up anything…I have done a great service to the American people."

When pressed on his role in stirring up birther controversy by CNN's Chief National Correspondent John King, Trump downplayed his actions by saying he didn't understand why President Obama didn't release his birth certificate earlier. "I heard everyone wanted to see it and I was the only one that got him to do it," he said.

"Every time I sit down with the press all they want to talk about is the birth certificate and I got him to do something that nobody else could get him to do and I take great credit for that."

Trump responded to the president's motivation for releasing his long form birth certificate as a way to end "silliness" by saying, "We have a president that's incompetent…I am a very serious person. I am a person that has made great wealth."

Trump, currently in the first-in-the-nation primary state of New Hampshire for several appearances, says he hasn't seen the long-form birth certificate but now hopes "a lot of experts will analyze it."

He indicated that he's ready to move on to other issues, since the place of the president's birth is no longer in question, and affirmed that he's ready to focus on other subjects "like China ripping us off."

"I'm really happy that we can finally get on to that subject because that's my strength," he said. "Jobs, the economy, getting OPEC to behave. We have all the power…they don't respect our leadership," he continued.

If there were any doubt on which ticket Trump would run, if he decides to run for president, given his history of cozying up to the reform party in 1999, and later saying the Republicans are too crazy, and the Democrats are too liberal, Trump settled the question.

"I'm looking to run as a Republican."

"I'm doing great in the polls, you know why?" he continued. "Because people in New Hampshire as well as people in the country don't want to be ripped off by a nation that does business with us."

"Our leader is incompetent, and people want to see a change and that's why I'm doing it."

Trump has convinced at least one key GOP operative that he's not taking a potential bid for the presidency lightly. In an interview with King, Jack Kimball, chairman of the New Hampshire state Republican Party, said he believes Trump's visit to the state is an indication that he's serious about running.

"Just his appearance here today I think is ominous," he said. "I think he wouldn't have bothered to come here if he wasn't taking the next most serious step toward that decision."

Filed under: 2012 • Content Partner • Donald Trump • New Hampshire • TV-John King U.S.A.
  1. tony the prophet

Dear Donald Trump, I will vote for you because what you say is true and here is an example:

I am in the Dental laboratory industry, we provide a service to Dentists for their patients, by fabricating custom made crowns and bridges, dentures partial and implant restorations, at an already underpricing cost to the Dentists. But China is now infiltrating our industry without regard.

The United State FDA is involved in illegal tread activities with China, FDA is allowing Dental prostheses to be outsourced and fabricated in china with materials not approve by our government to be safe, therefore putting the general public in the US at risk. Furthermore China working conditions are not supervised to insure safety by State, Local and US authorities, the FDA itself is allowing this illegal practice, putting thousands ODF American jobs at risk. As an American citizen and on behalf of my fellow Americans, I ask that this be stopped, what kind of hypocrisy is our Government involved in.

April 27, 2011 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  2. musings

"Carnival barker". Bully. Thug. A great service to the American people? No. Not really.

April 27, 2011 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  3. tlmess

Just listen to this typical repubic response, He must run as one of that party. I certainly want to see the IRS look into his past 10 years of business dealings. I think he still owes our poor state of Indiana back taxes. please investigate this crusader.

April 27, 2011 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  4. Rico

I'm confused, CNN told us the birth certificate was released in 2008. Then they told us two days ago Hawaii could not release it. Now they have it and we are to accept it as real. Which time were you telling lies and which time were you telling the truth?

April 27, 2011 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  5. Common Sense

What a moron. A complete moron. Shows that how much money one has is not related to how smart and moral they are. By the way, he's also a racist - no White president has had to nationally announce their birth in the United States.

April 27, 2011 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  6. Wobh

I wonder if Trump knows how to spell megalomaniac?

April 27, 2011 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  7. BlahblahHaha

News media needs to stop responding and talking to Trump. It's obvious that his parasitic-alien-hair has grown into his brain and damaged it. The greatest service that Trump could ever do the nation would be to disappear into one of his towers, never to be heard from again. On the other hand, he's pretty much single-handedly screwed the GOP over for the 2012 election.

April 27, 2011 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  8. Samuel

Yea yes.. Trumpf did a great service to American people by ripping them off, put all their money in his pocket ...

Now he believes he can use the money to buy US presidency...

SORRY TRUMPF >> AMERICA IS NOT FOR SALE!!!!!

April 27, 2011 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  9. Jdvs

...Am I the only one on this planet that thinks "the Don" is a megalomaniac? If he runs GOP, Obama will surely win.

April 27, 2011 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  10. Jessy

Donald Trump, please... shut up. You are an embarassement to the GOP, NBC, hell even to your own hair.

April 27, 2011 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  11. Jason from Hollywood

Well done Mr. Trump!

CNN MSNBC ABC NBC CBS PBS Al-Jazeera have all been running the "birther" story...because they felt a threat. Donald Trump did not actively campaign that Obama wasn't born in this country, all of the latest headlines were a result from questions from the liberal media

April 27, 2011 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  12. S.D. Lucke

Ok trump....now let's see your financials. let's see how many times you went bankrupt and used American taxpayer money to bail you and your companies out. BK is an admission that you can't manage your finances. So why would I trust you to manage our nations money when repeatedly you have proved you can't manage your own? Now that your "investigators" have nothing better to do, send them down to Texas and D.C. and see if they can solve the "Where was George W. Bush" national guard service mystery. Your so interested in "truth'. that'a a mystery that has yet to be solved. i bet that wont happen anytime soon by you or anybody else!

April 27, 2011 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  13. James

...and I thought things would be bad if Palin became president.

April 27, 2011 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  14. Jobu

Trump: YOU'RE FIRED!!

April 27, 2011 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  15. God help us all

Donald Trump is race baiting. This man has shown complete ignorance in a way that is scary.

April 27, 2011 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  16. JacklynD

Trump would have done our country a service if he had simply said that any reasonable person knows that President Obama was born in this country and the question has been asked and answered many times. Instead he selfishly used it to create fear and doubt in order to capture an audience for his Apprentice show which has flagging ratings.

Before this I considered him an oddity, crass and like a bull in a china shop. His action was unconscionable. He aligned himself with the worst fringe element of our country and I will never watch his show, stay in his hotels or gamble in his casinos.

April 27, 2011 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  17. Laurie

Do a greater service for America and go back to your business life...make millions and declare bankruptcy when you get in trouble and do your TV show. And, if that doesn't work for you, I hear the carnival is coming to town.

April 27, 2011 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  18. Wayne

Its best to remain silent and thought to be fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt! To think that our country would not follow protocol when its comes to the highest office in the land is an insult to our government! Trump find a real cause to lobby for and really do a service to the American people, you didnt do any service for me or the American people, you just open your mouth and removed all doubt.

April 27, 2011 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  19. Rbruin

Myabe this will quiet this pompous fool!

April 27, 2011 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  20. Common Sense

By the way, this also says a lot about how moronic his supporters are.

April 27, 2011 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  21. Idontthinkso

Singling out a person of color for their birth certificate is not providing a service, but rather reveals one's racist nature.

April 27, 2011 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  22. Laura

Mr. Trump, you did nothing but continue to waste the government and American's time on something frivolous. You, the Tea Party constituents, and every extremist only distract us from the real issues. Please get out of the way and let this country deal with the issues at hand. I am starting to wonder if this is an intentional ploy to distract the American public so they do not know how bad things really are. Personally, I do not see how this country can survive the next 20 years when people like you waste our time and distract the media from reporting on real news.

April 27, 2011 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  23. Ken

I hope a lot of experts will now analyze you Donald, because you're effin' crazy.

April 27, 2011 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  24. WAHEID

Donald Trump seems to be losing his grip on reality or else his huge ego has finally overpowered his good sense. I can't believe he really believed in the birther issue; it was simply a way to get publicity. If Trump is the best the Republicans can come up with for 2012, then Obama should have an easy time winning re-election.

April 27, 2011 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  25. tom wittmann

Really, American politics are becoming a joke!! It is obvious that Donald Trump is a poor low intelligence devil (at least now, as we must assume he was not such when he made his fortune), or he is really joking with and mocking the Media.

If the Media has a remaining once of shame, and if TED TURNER has stilll some influence, he should order CNN to ignore him personally and report of his activities only if they are reakky relevant,

April 27, 2011 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |