Trump: 'I've done a great service to the American people'
April 27th, 2011

Trump: 'I've done a great service to the American people'

(CNN)– Now that President Barack Obama has released his long-form birth certificate, real estate mogul and possible presidential candidate Donald Trump is ready for other issues–one of them apparently whether he will pay the investigators he sent to Hawaii to look into the place of Obama's birth.

In an interview airing Wednesday on CNN's "John King, USA," Trump asserted, "I don't make up anything," when asked about his earlier claims that Obama's birth certificate could be missing. Still, he is undecided about paying for the sleuths he sent to Hawaii to investigate the issue.

"Would I pay them? I don't know," he said. "I can say this, let me just tell you, I don't make up anything…I have done a great service to the American people."

When pressed on his role in stirring up birther controversy by CNN's Chief National Correspondent John King, Trump downplayed his actions by saying he didn't understand why President Obama didn't release his birth certificate earlier. "I heard everyone wanted to see it and I was the only one that got him to do it," he said.

"Every time I sit down with the press all they want to talk about is the birth certificate and I got him to do something that nobody else could get him to do and I take great credit for that."

Trump responded to the president's motivation for releasing his long form birth certificate as a way to end "silliness" by saying, "We have a president that's incompetent…I am a very serious person. I am a person that has made great wealth."

Trump, currently in the first-in-the-nation primary state of New Hampshire for several appearances, says he hasn't seen the long-form birth certificate but now hopes "a lot of experts will analyze it."

He indicated that he's ready to move on to other issues, since the place of the president's birth is no longer in question, and affirmed that he's ready to focus on other subjects "like China ripping us off."

"I'm really happy that we can finally get on to that subject because that's my strength," he said. "Jobs, the economy, getting OPEC to behave. We have all the power…they don't respect our leadership," he continued.

If there were any doubt on which ticket Trump would run, if he decides to run for president, given his history of cozying up to the reform party in 1999, and later saying the Republicans are too crazy, and the Democrats are too liberal, Trump settled the question.

"I'm looking to run as a Republican."

"I'm doing great in the polls, you know why?" he continued. "Because people in New Hampshire as well as people in the country don't want to be ripped off by a nation that does business with us."

"Our leader is incompetent, and people want to see a change and that's why I'm doing it."

Trump has convinced at least one key GOP operative that he's not taking a potential bid for the presidency lightly. In an interview with King, Jack Kimball, chairman of the New Hampshire state Republican Party, said he believes Trump's visit to the state is an indication that he's serious about running.

"Just his appearance here today I think is ominous," he said. "I think he wouldn't have bothered to come here if he wasn't taking the next most serious step toward that decision."

Filed under: 2012 • Content Partner • Donald Trump • New Hampshire • TV-John King U.S.A.
  1. Kevin

My goodness – WHY IS THIS STILL NEWS?! Like the president said, there are so many more important topics to be discussing right now. CNN and the other news organizations need to drop this story because it is a WASTE OF TIME. C'mon guys!

April 27, 2011 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  2. Carlos

OK..HOW is this a great service to the American people? Getting people all worked up on a lie – only to be proven wrong is a service? What a jack ass – I want to see all the skeletons in his closet – YOU can't tell me you haven't done some shady deals – I'm sure you aren't the only one with private detectives Mr. Trump. What a moron! p.s. is that hair real? can we see the roots?

April 27, 2011 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  3. Stacy

The great service he did was save my vote in the new year. How high school of him and I feel embarrassed for him and his "ego". As if he is some hero, stick to the hookers and reality tv.

April 27, 2011 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  4. buffalo

Does this gas-bag ever shut up? If this comb-over kook ever gets elected I'm moving to Somalia.

April 27, 2011 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  5. Fed Up

Trump did something nobody including Lou Dobbs, couldn't get done. Makes you wonder if this birth certificate is real? Look how long it took, to get released.

April 27, 2011 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  6. Thinks2010

Trump has not done a great service to the american people. All he has done is serve himself and distract the feeble minded birthers from the important issues of the day. On top of that, he is implying he may not pay the investigators he sent to Hawaii simply because the theory he was propounding was proved false by somebody else. All in all, he has shown himself to be little more than a self-promoting weasel.

April 27, 2011 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  7. Dave

Good God! The ego on this man, he is insufferable.

April 27, 2011 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  8. Kevin

It's clear from his defensive tone that Trump knows he picked the wrong fight with the wrong guy.

April 27, 2011 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  9. jimboe

trump is more dumb than palin.

what's his plan as president, sell 49% to the chinese and keep 51%for the u.s.? bankruptcy experience is now a criteria for president?

makes you wonder what the republicans are thinking about. maybe it's time they cut their losses and fend for themselves.... (ahem...tax breaks for the rich...ahem)

April 27, 2011 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  10. nell

Speaking of arrogant, how can anyone and I mean anyone ever accuse Obama as being arrogant! This man takes over complete interviews, just give him a mic, he'll do the rest. With this man as President, we will be engaged in WW111 within months of him being elected. Just because you are rich, doesn't mean you are smart.

April 27, 2011 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  11. tom wittmann

If the Media has a remaining once of shame, and if TED TURNER has stilll some influence, he should order CNN to ignore him personally and report of his activities only if they are reakky relevant,

Really, American politics are becoming a joke!! It is obvious that Donald Trump is a poor low intelligence devil (at least now, as we must assume he was not such when he made his fortune), or he is really joking with and mocking the Media.

April 27, 2011 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  12. Bemused

If this arrogant showboat wants any credibility as to honesty, lets see what he's hiding with that awful comb-over... when will you release the pictures "Donald", America wants to know what you're hiding!

April 27, 2011 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  13. GBarbe

This is so stupid that I like the idea of the White House going along with this BS so that this J*%k will be the front runner in the campaign and definitively sink any GOP hopes

April 27, 2011 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  14. Peri

I think I have figured it out. There was something strangely familiar about Trump's behavior and now I finally know what it is.

Trump is suffering from the beginning stages of dementia. He has early Alzheimer's.

April 27, 2011 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  15. Big Greg

Trump actually could do the American people a huge favor by dropping dead.....

April 27, 2011 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  16. Rhyto

Hey,
    I just watched the interview of Donald T on CNN! It's amazing what I find out ...
    – Donald T, Lou Dobbs,Glenn Beck: three demagogues (born in Israel)
    – They love greed
    – Their mouths are equipped with a set of true teeth (certified to be false)
    Clearly, we're dealing here with a bunch of opportunists but a jew-racist is over the top... It's a shame.
    Shall we overcome?
    Peace out!

April 27, 2011 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  17. Teri C

Donald Trump: Proof positive that money can't buy class! I watched this whole offensive interview and can promise you that Trump offered no insights whatsoever that I couldn't hear spewed accross the bar in your average neighborhood watering hole from the mouthes of Average Joe Americans who may or may not be college educated. In other words, he's got nothin'! He's rude (below the belt swipe at John King), abrasive (Americans aren't smart enough to know what China's doing...) and painful to look at (never mind the combover, what's wrong with his SKIN??) and I've had enough of this clown. Please don't waste any more airtime on this bum. I'll definitely change channels when i see him. Take this to the bank: A moron in a nice suit is still a MORON!!

April 27, 2011 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  18. fred

Now if only someone would launch an investigation into that thing on the Donald's head. Looks like something chasing its tail.

April 27, 2011 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  19. CEL1

If you would like a good look at the anti Christ, takkea good look at Donald The Clown Trump. He's another Wizard of Oz.
    He has no answers to todays problems but continues to attack others efforts and to attack them personally. Trump is an admitted crook and he's going after Obama for nothing. W was a C- student who shouldn't have gotten in college, Trumps mother should have done uas all a favor and eaten her young.

April 27, 2011 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  20. Joe

Can this guy get any more pompous and arrogant?

Excuse me, Donald–ever hear the term "self satire?"

April 27, 2011 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  21. bb

In my opinion, the longer President Obama let this issue stay out there, the more foolish he let his opponents be.

April 27, 2011 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  22. Sean

Yes Donald, you have done this country a great service by taking time away from our President to deal with this mess. Poor loser.

April 27, 2011 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  23. Erick

Trump is another fired!

April 27, 2011 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  24. Skeptic-Ed

Great service? Looks like Trump is good at doublespeak. This guy should run with Palin so that the late night comics will have plenty of material to work with for the next election. What a joke. Come on buddy, focus on real issues like a real politician should. The election should not be a sideshow or a tabloid headline.

April 27, 2011 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  25. richard

Enough already just ignore these folks once again CNN and the media keep giving these guys a place to mouth off without challenge. Stop it and report real news as appose to fabrication from opportunist and not lobs. As citizens of this country and viewers of the news agencies it's up to us now to vote with our wallet and begin boycotting these guys or a least hold the news agency accountable to fanning the flames.

April 27, 2011 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |