Trump: 'I've done a great service to the American people'
April 27th, 2011

Trump: 'I've done a great service to the American people'

(CNN)– Now that President Barack Obama has released his long-form birth certificate, real estate mogul and possible presidential candidate Donald Trump is ready for other issues–one of them apparently whether he will pay the investigators he sent to Hawaii to look into the place of Obama's birth.

In an interview airing Wednesday on CNN's "John King, USA," Trump asserted, "I don't make up anything," when asked about his earlier claims that Obama's birth certificate could be missing. Still, he is undecided about paying for the sleuths he sent to Hawaii to investigate the issue.

"Would I pay them? I don't know," he said. "I can say this, let me just tell you, I don't make up anything…I have done a great service to the American people."

When pressed on his role in stirring up birther controversy by CNN's Chief National Correspondent John King, Trump downplayed his actions by saying he didn't understand why President Obama didn't release his birth certificate earlier. "I heard everyone wanted to see it and I was the only one that got him to do it," he said.

"Every time I sit down with the press all they want to talk about is the birth certificate and I got him to do something that nobody else could get him to do and I take great credit for that."

Trump responded to the president's motivation for releasing his long form birth certificate as a way to end "silliness" by saying, "We have a president that's incompetent…I am a very serious person. I am a person that has made great wealth."

Trump, currently in the first-in-the-nation primary state of New Hampshire for several appearances, says he hasn't seen the long-form birth certificate but now hopes "a lot of experts will analyze it."

He indicated that he's ready to move on to other issues, since the place of the president's birth is no longer in question, and affirmed that he's ready to focus on other subjects "like China ripping us off."

"I'm really happy that we can finally get on to that subject because that's my strength," he said. "Jobs, the economy, getting OPEC to behave. We have all the power…they don't respect our leadership," he continued.

If there were any doubt on which ticket Trump would run, if he decides to run for president, given his history of cozying up to the reform party in 1999, and later saying the Republicans are too crazy, and the Democrats are too liberal, Trump settled the question.

"I'm looking to run as a Republican."

"I'm doing great in the polls, you know why?" he continued. "Because people in New Hampshire as well as people in the country don't want to be ripped off by a nation that does business with us."

"Our leader is incompetent, and people want to see a change and that's why I'm doing it."

Trump has convinced at least one key GOP operative that he's not taking a potential bid for the presidency lightly. In an interview with King, Jack Kimball, chairman of the New Hampshire state Republican Party, said he believes Trump's visit to the state is an indication that he's serious about running.

"Just his appearance here today I think is ominous," he said. "I think he wouldn't have bothered to come here if he wasn't taking the next most serious step toward that decision."

Filed under: 2012 • Content Partner • Donald Trump • New Hampshire • TV-John King U.S.A.
  1. BoxcarSocial

open mouth...insert foot...Trump is so lame.

April 27, 2011 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  2. higgsboson

I was basically anti-Obama policies but now, because of these birther idiots, I fully intend to vote for Obama in 2012.

April 27, 2011 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  3. Pete

Are you kidding me? This is an issue? how about unemployment and rising gas prices - if Trump is contending that Obama has lied about his origin of birth (which has been proven time and time again), then what a waste of his time and money.
    So sad! and as a mogul Trump should know how to spend his money a bit wiser.

April 27, 2011 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  4. UpsetVoter

Yes he has done a great service. He has proven that he is a nut case who should never be president. There are so many other issues where I disagree with the way the government and the whole subject was taken down to needing the original birth certificate instead of a certified certificate of live birth that is issued by the state. What is he going to hold up the entire country for next? Is he going to demand to see undeniable evidence of what goes on at Area 51 with the hope of proving we are holding aliens from another planet?

April 27, 2011 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  5. nick

plz tell Mr.Trump , if you are in deep shit you just shut up.

April 27, 2011 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  6. Offensive

1 word for this guy... Zero.

April 27, 2011 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  7. alloco

He takes credit for doing a great service? Are you kidding me? This idiot was going around the nation accusing our President of lying and attempting to cover up something. Now he wants to "take credit" for some kind of "good" deed? If this guy isn't certifiable then I don't know what certifiable is. What a nut case, and thinks he can be president. Anyone who supports and votes for this clown is even crazier. What a goofball. But I'm certain there are supporters and not because they like this fool, but because they are racist and can't stand the fact that a Black man is President.

April 27, 2011 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  8. whodacares

lolzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Go back to counting your money and combing your toupee. What a waste of oxygen he is. He has done NOTHING to benefit this country except further prove to the rest of the world that our country is inept and searching for any reason to invalidate a man of color sitting in the White House.

April 27, 2011 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  9. c

Donald Trump and the rest of those hatefull crackers can kiss the behind of every African American dead and living.

April 27, 2011 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  10. Please!

Will this guy go back to Reality TV and bankrupting comapanies. I'm so sick of hearing about him!

April 27, 2011 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  11. Georgie Girl

Trump's ego is so huge, he can't just say he was wrong....but spins to say he has done us, the American people, a service. This is how he plans on running the country, wasting everyone's time. Shame on you, Mr. Trump.

April 27, 2011 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  12. librarian

A great service ? Give me a break. The greatest service you have given us Mr. Trump is to show us what a great racist and bigot you are. Crawl back to your cave and stay there!

13. sms29s66

Get over yourself, Donald. You looked and sounded like the fool you are.

14. Aaron

This is getting out of hand. Trump is ridiculous and has no credibility. He does dramatic things to make it seem like he is important.

15. Dennis Trecek

I wonder if Donald Trump will make good on his promise that I witnessed on TV when he stated that he would disclose his tax returns when Obama disclosed his birth certificate. Woops, can you say backfire Donny!

16. BulldogBooster

Wow, what an ego. It's a shame we can't harness all his hot air. We would have the answer to our energy crisis.

His nomination as the Republican presidential candidate will cinch the election for Obama.

17. GG

I feel lucky to be the first one on CNN to Thank Donald Trump for getting Obama to prove his Birth Certificate existed even when Obama had more important things to do. Now we can move on. What a great day!

18. jefffbo

Great comedian on SNL and had an interesting show, vote for president ? Helll no....

19. G-man

FIRST!

20. Anonymous

Donald Trump has been insincere and he made up a pack of lies to get attention... And now that he has been proven wrong he is a champion! and has done a great service to Americans! What a hypocrite? I hope press stop interviewing this man. He has been dishonest all the way. Thanks Mr. President Obama for providing this. But we are sure this won't be the end of it. Donald Trump should not be trusted again.

21. Chris in CA

First he perpetuates ongoing ridiculousness and then has the balls to say he has done the American people a great service. This tool has no scruples. I laughed out loud when I heard him say it. I laugh even louder when the GOP applaud such trifle. Considering the state of our nation its no wonder the level of disgust most in this country have for the complete idiots with the microphones. When will this bull*($# end? Do we need another revolution?

22. bev

trump has done a great service to the american people? diverting attention away from wars throughout the mid east, and our troops being killed? jobs, housing and the economy? tornadoes and floods? medicare being pulled out from under our citizens who BUILT this country? trump believes he's done the american people a great service?

more like trump chump change. ask his father.

23. Anonymous

What a jerk.

24. z!

Mr Trump- you delude yourself. The best service you -could- have done is not start in with this in the first place.

April 27, 2011 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  25. Kris

You've done nothing, and you're a tool. I used to enjoy your show, but just like everything else you have touched it has been run into the ground. Now you are thinking about running for president for the hundredth time. Why? So you can run America into the ground and use it like your personal playground. You're a publicity hound. Nothing more. Just go back into your hole.

April 27, 2011 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |