Trump: 'I've done a great service to the American people'
April 27th, 2011

Trump: 'I've done a great service to the American people'

(CNN)– Now that President Barack Obama has released his long-form birth certificate, real estate mogul and possible presidential candidate Donald Trump is ready for other issues–one of them apparently whether he will pay the investigators he sent to Hawaii to look into the place of Obama's birth.

In an interview airing Wednesday on CNN's "John King, USA," Trump asserted, "I don't make up anything," when asked about his earlier claims that Obama's birth certificate could be missing. Still, he is undecided about paying for the sleuths he sent to Hawaii to investigate the issue.

"Would I pay them? I don't know," he said. "I can say this, let me just tell you, I don't make up anything…I have done a great service to the American people."

When pressed on his role in stirring up birther controversy by CNN's Chief National Correspondent John King, Trump downplayed his actions by saying he didn't understand why President Obama didn't release his birth certificate earlier. "I heard everyone wanted to see it and I was the only one that got him to do it," he said.

"Every time I sit down with the press all they want to talk about is the birth certificate and I got him to do something that nobody else could get him to do and I take great credit for that."

Trump responded to the president's motivation for releasing his long form birth certificate as a way to end "silliness" by saying, "We have a president that's incompetent…I am a very serious person. I am a person that has made great wealth."

Trump, currently in the first-in-the-nation primary state of New Hampshire for several appearances, says he hasn't seen the long-form birth certificate but now hopes "a lot of experts will analyze it."

He indicated that he's ready to move on to other issues, since the place of the president's birth is no longer in question, and affirmed that he's ready to focus on other subjects "like China ripping us off."

"I'm really happy that we can finally get on to that subject because that's my strength," he said. "Jobs, the economy, getting OPEC to behave. We have all the power…they don't respect our leadership," he continued.

If there were any doubt on which ticket Trump would run, if he decides to run for president, given his history of cozying up to the reform party in 1999, and later saying the Republicans are too crazy, and the Democrats are too liberal, Trump settled the question.

"I'm looking to run as a Republican."

"I'm doing great in the polls, you know why?" he continued. "Because people in New Hampshire as well as people in the country don't want to be ripped off by a nation that does business with us."

"Our leader is incompetent, and people want to see a change and that's why I'm doing it."

Trump has convinced at least one key GOP operative that he's not taking a potential bid for the presidency lightly. In an interview with King, Jack Kimball, chairman of the New Hampshire state Republican Party, said he believes Trump's visit to the state is an indication that he's serious about running.

"Just his appearance here today I think is ominous," he said. "I think he wouldn't have bothered to come here if he wasn't taking the next most serious step toward that decision."

Filed under: 2012 • Content Partner • Donald Trump • New Hampshire • TV-John King U.S.A.
  1. CBR

Dear Mr. King,
    I am sure that if you ask him he will part the seas for you!

Mr Trump is attempting to promote himself. He tends to exaggerate his latest attempts about the birth certificate. Again, he does not give specifics about the things that are done wrong. WE are to assume that he will be totally successful.

April 27, 2011 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  2. W l jones

Help open the racial can of worm futher in this country.

April 27, 2011 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  3. Russ

Obama can't be trusted. I hope they do analyze it to make sure it is the real thing.

April 27, 2011 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  4. Steve F.

Donald Trump has been insincere and he made up a pack of lies to get attention... And now that he has been proven wrong he is a champion! and has done a great service to Americans! What a hypocrite? I hope press stop interviewing this man. He has been dishonest all the way. Thanks Mr. President Obama for providing this. But we are sure this won't be the end of it. Donald Trump should not be trusted again.

April 27, 2011 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  5. Allen N Wollscheidt

::Trump is insane !

April 27, 2011 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  6. Peggy Munro

Mr. Trump,
    You are very wrong. You have done a disservice to America, yourself and to your family for generations to come. You are trying to put on a brave face but you know you have lost. I wish CNN and the media would stop parading your sorry self for all the world to see. My sincere apology to all those you have injured thus far.
    Regards,
    Peggy Munro

April 27, 2011 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  7. PaperSky

Yes, Trump, we all /definitely/ owe you one for wasting our time with your ridiculous, pompous banter. I mean, it's not like you were totally wrong right from the start or anything, or that you're making a complete mockery out of the United States. Of /course/ we're okay with your complete and utter disregard for sanity and logical thought! Why wouldn't we be grateful that you just totally made an ass out of yourself to the world as a whole? I know I am! Thanks for this terrific 'service' you're doing us, or whatever the hell you keep spewing about. Trust me when I say that we all appreciate it!

April 27, 2011 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  8. Bryan Kleske

Wasteing the Presidents time is not a great service to this country. Keeping our elected officials from their tasks dredging up foolishness is not doing the country a great service. The debt needs to be lowered and people need jobs. Why doesn't Mr. Trump bring his clothing line back from China and give US citizens jobs if he is so adamant against the Chinese stealing those jobs?

April 27, 2011 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  9. David

Wow, finally thanks to Trump we finally know Obama was born in Hawaii. Wait, that is a fact we have known forever. And Trump thinks this revelation is a great accomplishment?

April 27, 2011 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  10. jimzcarz

Welp..Thankz Donny for opening up a new can of worms.The Birthers' won't accept his Birth certificate. You may have just given the Republicans the kiss of death in the next election by formally pushing this.

April 27, 2011 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  11. taqq

Really? D. Trump has done nothing here but cause an uproar over nonsense. For those of you that didn't know the rules, a person cannot become president without being BORN an American Citizen. Do you really think this would've gone unnoticed through his political career or vetting by the Democratic party... or not mentioned by the Republican Party when he was the Dem front runner? Seriously people, we have important things to take care of! Putting stuff like this into public discussion to distract the public borders on irresponsible.

April 27, 2011 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  12. brown

America is truly on the decline. This is the man some would have as President?

April 27, 2011 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  13. Randy Palmer

It'd be nice if the media wouldn't feed this idiots BS.

April 27, 2011 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  14. William Donohoe

Now that is been verified that President Obama is a natural born citizen (which we all knew already) it should be looked into investigators and experts as whether Trump's hair is real or a toupee. Maybe we should have a Congressional sub-committee hold a hearing and have Donald put under oath about his hair

April 27, 2011 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  15. hardright

you know, trump has got a set the size of texas. i mean, he would make a terrible GOP candiate, terrible president. i would never vote for the guy, he's just way off the mark on so many issues. but, this is just funny. one day he's screamin' birther garbage talking about how his investigators have found all kinds of nutty stuff and the next, after we have the most concrete evidence we are ever going to see on this issue, this guy comes out and says he happy that he has done a service for the people. i mean, which is it don. c'mon people, i want obama out as much as the next guy, but it's going to be MUCH more effective to do it in 2012 that to keep wasting time and energy looking for hairy monsters in the closet. conspiracy (maybe, maybe not), but you aren't going to find anything if there is and even if you do, the chance they'd beat it are good. time to close ranks on his stupid stupid policies and socialist tendancies and send him packin' in 2012.

April 27, 2011 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  16. Barryn

Donald Chump's ego and quest for celebrity knows no bounds. What a clown! .

April 27, 2011 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  17. Bill

Don – you are an idiot and an embarrassment to this country.

April 27, 2011 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  18. Anon

That is his best defense? "Haha, I was proven wrong BUT LOOK...LOOK AT MEEEE!" He might as well as asked the President who loves more, his mom or his dad.

I expect our president to be quick on their feet and witted. Not this broke,drawling, backhanded business archetype.

April 27, 2011 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  19. Bob

If there is a God, Trump will be President in 2012. All you morons out there who are writing Trump off have literally no sense or even basic understanding of what a real leader should be. Trump has more balls and leadership talent and savvy than any candidate since Clinton. He's a real businessman, has worked his ass off to get where he is, he is the real deal. Anyone who disagrees just isn't capable of critical thinking or seeing past their own selfish "needs". I can't stand ignorant idiots, and all of you who whine and make stupid comments can't shut up long enough to see we've had puppets in White House for too long. Trump for President, please, for the sake of the survival of our country.

April 27, 2011 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  20. fritz

The last thing this country needs is the arrogance of Trump in the White House. To think of "W" as arrogant was appropriate at the time, but if "The Donald" gets elected, he'll irk just about every major leader in the world and al Qaeda will have more than enough provocation to attack the West again.......he's a fairly unintelligent man who has yet to understand what "real" hard working Americans need right now.........and he'll never understand that. Open his mouth, insert his foot.

April 27, 2011 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  21. Robin

Ok, seriously how disgusting is Trump? You did not do a great service at all, what you did do was tell the whole world that US is stupid and ignorant. For the love of god get over yourself and your wig. You are no better than any other republican out there who questions our Presidents birth. How dare you. You all should be ashamed of yourself. I will not vote for any republican or conservative since this whole Birther issue has come about. We have more important issues to worry about. Would Trump have done this is the President was white? I dont' think so, and before anyone, anyone plays "oh are you black"?, no I am white, but ashamed that white people still act and behave this way!!!! Shame on you all.

April 27, 2011 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  22. Sam

So this is the kind of service you want to do to the american people !

April 27, 2011 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  23. Andrew

That Trump what a buffoon along with the rest of the birthers. Everyone else, including CNN, has already taken the live birth certificate as clear evidence except for the billionaire bankruptcy king. Besides, have we no faith in the Federal Election Commission to field their candidates correctly?

April 27, 2011 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  24. Tim

I seen this certificate 4-5 months ago... Why is "THE DONALD DUCK" trying to take credit??

April 27, 2011 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  25. K Lewis

Great service? What great service did this provide to anyone? Seriously, the only thing it did is waste time – and here I am wasting some of mine. And this is someone that is considering running for President – it would seem to me he would have more important things to talk about.

April 27, 2011 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |