Calls for Obama's academic records blasted as 'nonsense'
April 28th, 2011

Calls for Obama's academic records blasted as 'nonsense'

Washington (CNN) – Senior White House adviser Valerie Jarrett referred to calls for the president to release his academic records as "nonsense" Thursday.

The suggested disclosure came Wednesday from real estate mogul Donald Trump after the so-called "birther" debate caused the president to release the long-form version of his birth certificate.

Standing on a tarmac Wednesday in New Hampshire, Trump said "word is he (Obama) wasn't a very good student."

"I'd like to know how does he get into Harvard, how does he get into Columbia if he isn't a very good student," Trump said.

But Jarrett dismissed the remark Thursday.

"We know this is nonsense," Jarrett said on SiriusXM Radio's The Joe Madison Show. "He's almost 50 years old and he's president of the United States and I don't think anybody would debate his intelligence and so now we need to get serious."

Jarrett's foray into the conversation follows CBS anchor Bob Schieffer's accusation that Trump's comments are racist.

"That's just code for saying he got into law school because he's black," Schieffer said on the CBS Evening News Wednesday. "This is an ugly strain of racism that's running through this whole thing."

Filed under: Donald Trump • President Obama • Valerie Jarrett
  1. illinoisman

If Trump is a racist then Obama must be a bigger racist. He goes to a racist church in chicago with a racist preacher rev. wright. He sides with the black activist Gates and called the policeman, who was just doing his job, stupid or acted stupid without hearing the facts of the case. Some people just dont like Obama. He is smug, thinks he knows everything, thinks what is good for him is good for everyone else and lastly has set race relations back 40 years because before he was president everyone wasnt being called a racist for disagreeing with the policies of the government. Heck they were called patriots for disagreeing with the government when it was the Bush admin.

April 28, 2011 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  2. Rsprings

Why is that racist..If I remember correctly, the left asked for and got Bush's academic records and as I recall Bush is white? You may remember the constant use of the term idiot and moron applied to Bush.

April 28, 2011 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  3. Tabman

When I went to and Ivy league college, people would say the same things to me. "You don't belong here", "you are taking another person's spot", "you're not smart enough", etc.

Then we would debate an issue, with those who made the above comments oft on the losing end. Then their words became, "you're only being encouraged", "they chose your argument because you are black", "they are just penalizing me because I'm white (or Asian)", etc.

I graduated and could not find a job. People say it is because "my degree was handed to me", "I don't have the aptitude of my fellow classmates", "I was passed along because nobody really wanted to judge me fairly", etc.

My history is why I look at this situation and laugh. It happened to NATIONAL BOOK AWARD WINNER Ralph Ellison, JUSTICE Clarence Thomas, and now PRESIDENT Barack Obama.

Meanwhile, racist idiots like Trump and those I encountered, are the products of the hard work of their ancestry NOT their individual effort. There will be no historical recollection of these bigots, and the only thing people will remember about Trump is that he failed at everything he touched.

I guess getting good grades at Princeton is not all it's cracked up to be now is it?

April 28, 2011 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  4. Lrgoines

This whole thing from birth to now checking his education about our President has RACIST. It kind of funny how people decide to hate you because the color of you skin. When I look at all of these reports I find it hard to believe. We live in a really sad day when people focus on a man birth and education when we have three war, coming out of a recession, and have an financial crises going on. It prove a point the America need more educated people. The bible say's a little leaven, leaven the whole bunch. Selah

April 28, 2011 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  5. Jake

and the racism continues...

April 28, 2011 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  6. nintex

Watching Trump's interview yesterday with John King just shows how truly pathetic Trump has become. He is so full of himself, claiming the "honor" of making President Obama show his birth certificate, when in reality he needs to be ashamed of himself for continuing this racist charade for so long. Now he's not satisfied with the grades? Good God, Trump, give it up and grow up!

April 28, 2011 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  7. Jreddog1

The fact that the media is giving any attention to Trump is because it is good for ratings and therefore brings in advertising dollars. Donald has nothing new to say, nothing productive to say, and is beginning to look like an enormous idiot.

His behavior, if he was in middle school, would be termed "bullying". Why is this allowed to continue? Make judgments on his politics, his laws, but to now start asking how he cot into college? Come on.

STOP GIVING THIS GUY A FORUM.

April 28, 2011 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  8. S. In California - Obama 2012

Mr. Schieffer SAID IT ALL. There is no need for me to comment.

April 28, 2011 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  9. Rickster

I don't care where he was born or what his academic record is, I just want him out in 2012 so he can do no further damage to the country.

April 28, 2011 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  10. Sgt Joe

Someone has got to put an end to this BS! Trump obviously has an agenda and it isn't about helping this country. Go back to reality TV, Trump, where you belong.

April 28, 2011 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  11. Grant

Jim Crow 2011

April 28, 2011 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  12. Bonnie in Seattle

What is Sarah Palin going to do now that Donald Trump has stolen her 2 years of fame....

April 28, 2011 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  13. melissa jones

First the birth certificate now this. Donald Trump only talks about this stuff because overall he is lost and out of touch . What is the point of all of this we have bigger problems than this to worry about. Does he have any ideas or solutions about things that matter? I guess not i have yet to hear any. Go away Trump only a fool will vote for you.

April 28, 2011 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  14. Erik S.

Yeah, it's ALWAYS Racism with Democrats.

April 28, 2011 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  15. Sam

Is the morales and morals of GOP totally dead! Where are all the fellow GOPers who would have jumped at someone else? How could they stand by and allow Trump to make these statements.

April 28, 2011 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  16. af1057

So why does he have all of his records sealed? Why is he the first President EVER to seal everything from college grades and records to his annual physcial results as POTUS.

IF he is so transparent why all the secrecy. Claim race all you want...white or black, man or woman hiding something alwasy begs questions to be asked.

April 28, 2011 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  17. Rsprings

Also, every comment or question about the President is met with accusations of racism...I for one am growing tired of it.

April 28, 2011 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  18. runner305

I agree! It is racism at its best (or worst), since it is a subtle way of being so. It's also a ridiculous way of calling the President unintelligent. But Obama is taking the high road, showing the world that he is above that kind of "silliness", as he called it. All this proves that Trump is a racist who has no credible political ideas or solutions to offer.

April 28, 2011 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  19. conoclast

That Obama graduated cum-laude (for you tea-baggers that means he excelled as a student) is clearly just another example of reverse discrimination eh, Donald? (if you're going to let him in you might as well bestow honors on him, right?) Trump-like his obsession with disguising his baldpate-is a bad joke!

April 28, 2011 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  20. dshy

I had a little more respect for Trump before he announced that hes running for President. Now I can see how much of an idiot he really is.

April 28, 2011 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  21. Annette

I love my President. Say goodbye to medicare stupid republicans....... LMFAO

April 28, 2011 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  22. fudgemonkey

next thing will be to put his genitals in a lineup.....

April 28, 2011 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  23. Tony

What code??? maybe its code for "he got into law school because someone knew (or blew) someone"??? Schieffer is the racist!!

April 28, 2011 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  24. Rickster

"Some 57 percent of registered voters said they disapproved of Obama’s economic management, while only 40 percent approved. That’s the lowest score of his presidency."
    -------------------
    lol...what a useless tool.

April 28, 2011 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  25. s

Trump you need to shut up. You say you want to run for president, so instead of concentrating on trivial issues like Obama's schooling, why not show us what you can bring to the table? This country has more important issues to worry about than how the president got into Columbia or Harvard. are you just mad you didn't get into those schools? This guy is a joke. Go away already. Since you want to worry about trivial things, how about we bring your family situation and finances into the picture? 2 divorces? How many times have you declared bankruptcy? If you can't manage your money, how can you manage taxpayer's money? are we supposed to trust you?

April 28, 2011 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |