Calls for Obama's academic records blasted as 'nonsense'
April 28th, 2011

Calls for Obama's academic records blasted as 'nonsense'

Washington (CNN) – Senior White House adviser Valerie Jarrett referred to calls for the president to release his academic records as "nonsense" Thursday.

The suggested disclosure came Wednesday from real estate mogul Donald Trump after the so-called "birther" debate caused the president to release the long-form version of his birth certificate.

Standing on a tarmac Wednesday in New Hampshire, Trump said "word is he (Obama) wasn't a very good student."

"I'd like to know how does he get into Harvard, how does he get into Columbia if he isn't a very good student," Trump said.

But Jarrett dismissed the remark Thursday.

"We know this is nonsense," Jarrett said on SiriusXM Radio's The Joe Madison Show. "He's almost 50 years old and he's president of the United States and I don't think anybody would debate his intelligence and so now we need to get serious."

Jarrett's foray into the conversation follows CBS anchor Bob Schieffer's accusation that Trump's comments are racist.

"That's just code for saying he got into law school because he's black," Schieffer said on the CBS Evening News Wednesday. "This is an ugly strain of racism that's running through this whole thing."

Filed under: Donald Trump • President Obama • Valerie Jarrett
  1. DIANA

This is really getting ridiculous. I wish we did the same with Bush, would have saved us a lot of trouble and money. I hate to use the race card but, this is racist and I'm white.

The media just needs to start ignoring Trump and we'd all be happier, even though he's showing exactly what the Republicans stand for. Hey Donald, where's the tax forms you promised?

April 28, 2011 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  2. Concerned Texan

I just find it depressing that school-bully tactics are being used by people that want to the the most powerful person in the world, the President of the United States. Our children hear and read about these games every day, and we don't think this is having a negative effect? As a teacher, when I see bullying, I put a stop to it in the classroom. Why is it being encouraged in the adult world?

April 28, 2011 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  3. Jon in Rochester

I agree. I'd like to see Donald Trump talk about some of the issues rather than continue with baseless attacks on Obama's character. All that I've heard him say is that we're going to bully China and steal Iraq's oil. Those are hardly realistic foreign policies. You may be able to get ahead in real estate using those tactics but it's not how you run a country. Also, he's bad mouthing China and talking about how we need to bring jobs back to America the entire time that he's buying cheap Chinese goods to build his hotels and using Chinese sweatshops to make the suits that he sells with his brand name on them. We make building supplies in this country as well as suits. You can't talk about bringing jobs back to the USA when you're responsible for outsourcing them yourself!

April 28, 2011 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  4. lucy2

Let's stop giving attention to Trump. The guy's a sleazy opportunist, looking for media coverage and controversy.

April 28, 2011 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  5. phoenix86

Obama can't afford to release his academic records. His supporters would be dissappointed that his IQ level and academic scores are mediocre at best.

April 28, 2011 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  6. bobby

More racism from the discredited birther movement.

April 28, 2011 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  7. fthomas cain

Who cares about these trivial issues. Why are so-called investigative and OBJECTIVE journalists not asking the hard questions like: Why is unemployment still at 30 year highs? Why can the president and Democrats not realize we need to make draconian cuts to government to get our fiscal house in order? What is the president going to do about gasoline which has doubled in price since he took office? What will he do to stop the downward spiral of the dollar and the rising inflation rate?

April 28, 2011 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  8. Indy

When Donald Trump talks about the US being the laughing stock of the world, he can fully take credit for that. He and people like himself is what makes people around the world laugh and puke at the same time. Donald Trump is a disscusting racist pig that screws anyone that he can including the American tax payers.

April 28, 2011 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  9. Bob Dog

Trump is disgusting.

The only good thing about this grotesque monster is the huge damage he is doing to the republican party.

April 28, 2011 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  10. Sebastian

I for one, have had enough.

I did not like Bush. I didn't vote for him. I thought he was a mental lightweight. He never told us whether he did weed or coke in college. We know he wasn't the best student. I think he got preferential treatment to get into the Air National Guard, where it was safe instead of the regular Air Force.

With all of that, I never had the contempt in my heart and my head that I see for the much more academically accomplished Barack Obama. When that Iraqi threw shoes at Bush, I was UPSET. Not because I cared for Bush but because he was the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES. The dis-respect of President Obama is unlike anything, I've ever seen.

To those folks saying they are tired of people calling Obama's critics RACISTS, ask yourselves why, only when we got a Black guy in the Whitehouse, did this type of birther nonsense start? Birth Certificates and Report Cards – in the words of John McEnroe - YOU CAN NOT BE SERIOUS!

April 28, 2011 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  11. willard bullock

Kick out of presdient obama 2012
    Im real belived that trump are alright act against birth certificate so I ask whit e house why 4 states are keep hide fraud false with birth certifacte what happend about people are fraud birther of maine connection montana
    I said mocking obama get out of his presdient obama

April 28, 2011 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  12. ja

had we looked at academics the later bush wouldn't have held any public office, neither would palin, and many others

April 28, 2011 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  13. Keith, US Citizen living in Canada

Trump is a sick sick blowhard. Lets see his academic records. When I see him on TV I immediately check for my wallet.

April 28, 2011 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  14. AEK

You know, we have gotten used to this type of rhetoric from the extreme Republican right wing, ie. Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck and Sarah Palin, but very seldom do we hear legitimate candidates from that party "going there." I guess when you are The Donald you are used to being to able say and do anything without consequences. Maybe if he really wanted to get the attention of the American people, he could start talking some specifics about how he would create more JOBS and fix other aspects of the economy he and his rich friends destroyed during the Bush experiment in national economic policy. But then that would mean actually having to articulate a plan, and that is much more difficult than running FOR office. I would not expect Mr. Hairdoo to be any more successful a that than any of the other so called candidates from that party.

April 28, 2011 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  15. hecmal

CNN, please stop reporting on the verbal diarrhea spewing out of Trump. CNN is only feeding the Trump frenzy with it's constant coverage. That Anderson Cooper spent so much time talking about Trump and his birther claims over the past week should be an embarrassment for a news organization of CNN's stature. How about no more Trump until the guy actually get's serious and officially runs for office and shares with the American public his birth certificate, tax records, student transcrpts etc. Obama is an American success story. That this man not born to wealth and power could become President of the United States says volumes about our nation and his character. What is Trump? Born with a silver spoon in his mouth to a family that did what...developed real estate..to a grown man that would sleep with a silver microphone if he thought it would get him just a bit more publicity. Anyone who's ever bought a Trump product or are thinking of it, should be ashamed to be associated with him. Please no more Trump!!!!!!!

April 28, 2011 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  16. Eric Dessler

I'm curious when and where Trump ever made racist comments? Funny how all the true bigots resort to name calling, and race card pulling when the simplest solution was one that should have been done 4 years ago. Get a grip on reality, this has nothing to do with race. Need we remind you that Obama's mother is white. The only people I see calling people names and being bigots are the one's who are against the "birthers". So who are the real bigots here...

April 28, 2011 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  17. Bill Millwood

It's amazing that the media are even following the rantings of that goon Trump. Really, I mean there are idiots everywhere, and we don't give them the attention that the media is giving Trump. Trump is a total loser. The only reason why he's anybody at all is because of money, and we all know that the only reason why he has money is because he got down on his knees and begged 100 banks to bail him out. He's a total loser with no redeeming qualities.

April 28, 2011 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  18. Bryan

Donald Trump is an idiot. If Obama wasn't a good student, he wouldn't have been able to stay at Harvard, he wouldn't have been made editor of the Harvard Law Review and he wouldn't have qualified to teach Constitutional Law; all of which he accomplished. Why doesn't Trump spend more time figuring out what his hair dresser is high on?

April 28, 2011 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  19. Alex Santana

I hope to God Trump's parents are not alive...how embarrassed and ashamed at their "son" they would be...what a stupid ignoramus! Does he just say these things to hear himself speak? Does he even watch himself? No one can be that stupid, but in this case...he is an embarrassment to all Americans. I have been getting Emails all day from friends around the world, in shock at how someone who is such a successful businessman can say such stupid things...mostly things that bear no relation to the truth. He can make money, but he sure can't buy brains. What a disgusting person...the only GOOD thing out of all of is that it brands the GOP as egomaniacal people like Trump. Don't believe me? Look at Hannity, O'Reilly, Ingraham, Coulter, Beck etc. all such ego maniacs who think real people care about what "they" think! Guess what? Only other ignorant people listen to them and think like them...fortunately, that is only a sliver of what real people think...

April 28, 2011 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  20. jen

Donald Trump is racist, no other way to describe him! Keep talking Trump, all we need to do is vote, you have given us more drive to vote OBAMA-BIDEN 2012!

April 28, 2011 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  21. Johnson

The carpet has been pulled back on our country and roaches are EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Our Country reeks the stench of racism, I thought that we were supposed to be this awesome Christian country that was the envy of the world. I believe that our president IS doing an awesome job. Some are trying to stir up hatred toward him by playing down to the lowest denominator of society, they are trying to you racist under-tones disguised as (we don't like his policies) or (he is a big spender) or (he is ruining our country). I am one combat vet that IS disgusted with my country.

April 28, 2011 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  22. Joe

Is there no end to the BS that pompous buffoon is capable of? Listen, Mr. Trump–the president is a helluva lot smarter than you are. And better educated. And has a lot better judgement, more sophistication, taste, and common sense.

April 28, 2011 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  23. Jeff in Virginia

Please stop with this nonsense! The birthers will NEVER be satisfied- they will always find something new that's "illegitimate"

April 28, 2011 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  24. JT

Good for Schieffer – calling it out for what it is.

April 28, 2011 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  25. mach4

Trump is syupidly rich but has become richly stupid.

April 28, 2011 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |