Calls for Obama's academic records blasted as 'nonsense'
April 28th, 2011

Calls for Obama's academic records blasted as 'nonsense'

Washington (CNN) – Senior White House adviser Valerie Jarrett referred to calls for the president to release his academic records as "nonsense" Thursday.

The suggested disclosure came Wednesday from real estate mogul Donald Trump after the so-called "birther" debate caused the president to release the long-form version of his birth certificate.

Standing on a tarmac Wednesday in New Hampshire, Trump said "word is he (Obama) wasn't a very good student."

"I'd like to know how does he get into Harvard, how does he get into Columbia if he isn't a very good student," Trump said.

But Jarrett dismissed the remark Thursday.

"We know this is nonsense," Jarrett said on SiriusXM Radio's The Joe Madison Show. "He's almost 50 years old and he's president of the United States and I don't think anybody would debate his intelligence and so now we need to get serious."

Jarrett's foray into the conversation follows CBS anchor Bob Schieffer's accusation that Trump's comments are racist.

"That's just code for saying he got into law school because he's black," Schieffer said on the CBS Evening News Wednesday. "This is an ugly strain of racism that's running through this whole thing."

Filed under: Donald Trump • President Obama • Valerie Jarrett
  1. beth

Fire Trump and send him off to Siberia where he belongs.

April 28, 2011 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  2. Murph

I am so sick of Donald Dump, I wish the stupid media would just ignore him, this man is unbeliebable how much he loves himself and thinks he is a God! I feel like throwing up every time I see him on TV!

April 28, 2011 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  3. Janell

President Obama does not have to show his academic records because Trump says so! I am saddened that he released his long-form birth certificate, essentially caving into to the "birthers" and big mouth Trump. This is teetering on RACISM. Obama is a black man and he is the President of the U.S. There are some people who still cannot believe he won! It fine to disagree with his policies, but asking him to release his college records is insulting and degrading.

April 28, 2011 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  4. obama victim

does it matter??......we already know he's an idiot

April 28, 2011 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  5. Rick

Since Trump isnt a real politician I can say how I feel. No WHITE president has ever been asked to prove where he is born. Now he wants to know what grades The President got. Be for real. Here is a dumb ass who has filed for bankrupcty twice because of poor judgement but wants to run the country. And the typical RACIST line is always" I get along with the blacks". Go do something with your hair CLOWN..

April 28, 2011 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  6. BrianInMesa

To my knowledge no past president has had to show each american his birth certificate or school records. Why does the current president? What is different about him. Why does the right think the country's move to Fascism is ok but any move they don't like is labeled socializm and bad? It all seems fairly warped.

April 28, 2011 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  7. Kevin Collins

Just a thinly-veiled attempt by Trump decrying "affirmative action" without actually saying it. If the White House is smart, they should just ignore this terrible-combover jerk from here on end.

April 28, 2011 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  8. Dominican mama 4 Obama

NBC needs to Dump the Trump. He keeps hiding behind the NBC logo whilst getting more and more comfortable spewing his racist remarks. "How did the President get into these schools", he asks. "I went to pretty good schools and I didn't get into Harvard". This man is a RETARD of the highest magnittude. He is insulting the President of the United States, AND every Black person by extension. How long will NBC continue to associate themselves with this ignorant, racist knuckle-dragger? I can't answer that, but I can and will boycott their programming.

April 28, 2011 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  9. Babs

So, This is the GOP front runner? Really GOP? God I hope so. Please pick Palin to run with you. That would make my day.

April 28, 2011 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  10. RKR

Dear USA, officially welcome to the third world. Political mud slinging and harassing of this new low is what all you needed after the dollar sank below its neighbor. You can further enhance your membership by establishing kangaroo courts and enabling the "sudden disappearances" of problem individuals. Welcome aboard America! In the absence of principles and values, this is what takes their place. VOTE THEM IN America!!! They are in reality shows. What else do you need?

April 28, 2011 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  11. Carolanne

Can we stop this nonsense please? It's not racism, it's just grasping at any information he can to try to make the President look bad. What is Trump going to ask for next? His blood type and shoe size? Enough, sir. Trump is a nobody. He has done nothing for this country, but build his own fortune.

April 28, 2011 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  12. Ray

Trump,release your tax statements.

April 28, 2011 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  13. Sniffit

Poor poor Howard. That he actually produced a birth certificate proving he was born in Hawaii and it didn't even say "BIG GIANT MUSLIM" right on it really has you upset, huh? Keep crying...your tears sustain me.

April 28, 2011 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  14. Peter

Why aren't the responsible GOP talking heads calling for Trump to stfu. This is only hurting them. Hmm, maybe they shouldn't.

April 28, 2011 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  15. Walter S. Adams

From the very first day of Obama's tenure in office, the Republican Party has been dedicated to making our president a one-term president. Never has the opposition offered a helping hand in making America a better country, only providing a constant drumbeat meant to delegitimize our legitimate president. Obama graduated with honors from Harvard. Maybe shallow people like Donald Trump are jealous of this black man. But rather than admit this jealousy, pander to other shallow-minded weaklings by constantly belittling the president. Only a shallow bully belittles a better man to compensate for his own shortcomings. But what's really sad is that this bully is building a following by tearing down someone who is so clearly the better human.

April 28, 2011 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  16. Name king

Obama got to figure out this by now, there is nothing he can do to appease the hate mungerers in this repugs party, so why even bother. The hatred will never satisfied until he's out of office, he need to do his job, and let the pieces fall where they may. I didn't see them going buck wild over any of the past 44 president, and I wonder, he's the only black one in the lot. These people don't even care if they get blatten, with their bigotry anymore. They've tried to turn around our economy growth by pushing fear after fear after fear. Well it looks like they might be succeeding. They complain the reason why the rich is not hiring is because of uncertainty of them getting a few buck tax hike. Yet these hypocrites keep threatening to destroy the global economy with The budget ceiling, then they wonder why the dollar is going to hell, I wonder what they'll say about their favorite word "UNCERTAINTY".

April 28, 2011 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  17. Cascadoux

What is it about most Republicans insatiable desire to constantly preoccupy our nation with issues that keep us so divided? Every time they open their' mouths, we can't hear anything to inspire us to a better America. I just want to turn the lights out and go to sleep, hoping that they would go away, or that sanity will have come to them, but oh no, it was not going to be. Day in and day out, they come up with some new scheme to keep us in chaos. How can anyone, with a straight face, tell us that they really have America's interest at heart?

April 28, 2011 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  18. Peter

Howard, why do you keep copying and pasting your same diatribe. Have you used up all your words for the day?

April 28, 2011 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  19. Frank in Valparaiso Indiana

I would like to see a psych eval for every Republican Senator and Congressman as well as an IQ test. I suspect there are problems with those from my native state of Texas. We do have state schools for the loonies.

April 28, 2011 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  20. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Howard:
    He and his worshipers simply have to act indignant, or scream Racist, in order to neutralize any and all opposition.
    -------------------------------------------------–
    Do you know how expensive it is to RELOAD a neutralizer gun Howard?!
    I wouldn't waste my neutralizer buggers on you if you were the last 'tard left on Earth.
    You can come out from under your mother's skirts now.
    Bwahahahaha!!!!!

April 28, 2011 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  21. ST

McCain has a case to answer as well. Why did he tap a person as VP who proved to the entire world that her intelligence is below the required standard!

April 28, 2011 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  22. Aaron

Seriously? We are now going to bring into question the education of a University of Chicago Constitutional law professor? No one has ever questioned Obama's intelligence. Whether one agrees with his policy is a different question than whether is policy is of sound reason. The latter is not in doubt.

April 28, 2011 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  23. CC

I so agree Dump the Trump...show us your tax returns, show us how many law suits are pending against you,
    show us your net worth, show us your budget proposal, show us your health care plan, show us your last
    x-ray so that we can all see the brain damage...exhausting, I think I am going to give CNN and the blogs a rest. I son't want to play anymore, while I won't watch any Trump TV, or stay in any Trump hotels, or gamble at any Trump casinos-I also will not read anymore articles about Trump, or express my views he isn't worth of my time.

April 28, 2011 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  24. joesnopy

The first Black President had to show his papers. What a Country.

April 28, 2011 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  25. TJ

Put a cork in it Janell, this is not racism at all. Its Trump being a moron but NOT racism. What so because Obama is half black, half white, we arent allowed to ask him questions? All questions now are forbidden to a person of mixed race???

April 28, 2011 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |