Sen. Paul wants proof of Trump's GOP cred
April 28th, 2011

Sen. Paul wants proof of Trump's GOP cred

Washington (CNN) – While real estate mogul Donald Trump continues to raise doubt over Obama's presidential credentials, Republican Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky questioned Trump's legitimacy, not as an American, but as a Republican.

Speaking at a Merrimack County Republican Committee fundraiser on Thursday in Concord, New Hampshire, Paul said, "I've come to New Hampshire today because I'm very concerned. I want to see the original long-form certificate of Donald Trump's Republican registration."

"Seriously don't you think we need to see that?" Paul said, according to media reports.

The White House released Obama's birth certificate on Wednesday, after questions about the president's birthplace were repeatedly raised, most recently by Trump.

With the "Celebrity Apprentice" star busy questioning Obama's presidential qualifications, Trump's voting record and campaign contributions to Democratic candidates have also raised issues about his GOP credentials.

Records obtained by CNN earlier this week show that Trump changed his party registration three times over the past 20 years and did not cast a vote in the 2002 general election.

Paul's address also mentioned the thousands of dollars in donations that Trump gave to Democratic majority leader Sen. Harry Reid of Nevada and Democratic Rep. Charlie Rangel of New York, in the last election cycle.

According to media reports, Paul's speech centered around concern that attention garnered by GOP candidates like Trump, distracts from pertinent discussions about the deficit and economy.

"Let's look to Republicans who not only talk the talk but walk the walk," Paul said. "If we find the right candidate I see no reason why we can't win in 2012."

Paul recently toyed with the idea of joining the pack of Republicans contending for the 2012 presidential bid, until his father, Rep. Ron Paul of Texas announced his exploratory committee earlier this week.

"He's my landlord in Washington. Can you imagine the family strife if we ran against each other?" Paul said according to media reports. "I'm afraid that I could be kicked out of my apartment."

Filed under: 2012 • Birthers • Donald Trump • New Hampshire • President Obama
  1. j

Yes, he`s every bit a Republican as much as all the ultra right wingnuts and birthers. The Republican is a much more "inclusive and tolerant" party than the Demos. -– cudos to them--–

April 28, 2011 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  2. S. In California - Obama 2012

I can't stand this pig but what goes around ALWAYS comes around.

April 28, 2011 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  3. rusty155

I don't care what Republican run against President Obama , They won't win. With this Paul Ryan Plan that you all voted for , will do you all end in 2012. The Paul Ryan Plan Is a bunch of crap.If you Republican really want to cut the deficit than do It fair and leave Medicare , Medicaid , And Social Security a lone. We be paying Into this all are live. If the Government didn't borrow from these program there wouldn't be a problem. So pay back all the money the Government borrow from these program over the Year and than they will be fine.

April 28, 2011 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  4. diana

It,s too late now Rand Paul,the damage to the extreme right has already happened! You are Teaparty,you are just as responsible for the "Racial and Hatred" as Trump! Same with Gop. The damage is done. I hope your happy with this "Madness" ? Trying to Smear our President because of the color of his "SKIN" Enjoy your loss Rand.

April 28, 2011 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  5. GI Joe

All the southern states are being hit pretty hard by "nature" these days. I think maybe God in his infinite wisdom is trying to clean out the Gene Pool.

April 28, 2011 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  6. karynn

Good for Rand Paul. Although I don't agree with any of his positions, he is a serious guy who sees that Donald Trump is not.

April 28, 2011 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  7. Sam

I don't agree with Rand Paul's poltics but I certainly do agree with his message to Trump. Put up or shut up, Trump. We'd prefer the latter.

April 28, 2011 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  8. DIANA

I never thought I'd say this but – Way to go Rand Paul! Finally a Republican speaking out on how ridiculous this person is, ( I can't call him a man because real men don't bully and throw tantrums to get what they want).

April 28, 2011 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  9. Jango

I have three questions for Trump. How did you ran a casino to bankruptcy? This is a CASINO. if America is so great, Why are 66% of your wives foreigners?. We know you've not voted for the past 26 years, show me the record.

April 28, 2011 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  10. steph

I say Star Jones, Nene, Little John, LaToya and Dianne Warwick pull out of the NBC Celebrity Apprentice Final because of Donald Trump comment that Obama should play basketball and Trump implying that Obama is not smart enough to get into Columbia or Harvard .... They should all pull out the Apprentice Final ...

April 28, 2011 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |