Sen. Paul wants proof of Trump's GOP cred
April 28th, 2011

Sen. Paul wants proof of Trump's GOP cred

Washington (CNN) – While real estate mogul Donald Trump continues to raise doubt over Obama's presidential credentials, Republican Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky questioned Trump's legitimacy, not as an American, but as a Republican.

Speaking at a Merrimack County Republican Committee fundraiser on Thursday in Concord, New Hampshire, Paul said, "I've come to New Hampshire today because I'm very concerned. I want to see the original long-form certificate of Donald Trump's Republican registration."

"Seriously don't you think we need to see that?" Paul said, according to media reports.

The White House released Obama's birth certificate on Wednesday, after questions about the president's birthplace were repeatedly raised, most recently by Trump.

With the "Celebrity Apprentice" star busy questioning Obama's presidential qualifications, Trump's voting record and campaign contributions to Democratic candidates have also raised issues about his GOP credentials.

Records obtained by CNN earlier this week show that Trump changed his party registration three times over the past 20 years and did not cast a vote in the 2002 general election.

Paul's address also mentioned the thousands of dollars in donations that Trump gave to Democratic majority leader Sen. Harry Reid of Nevada and Democratic Rep. Charlie Rangel of New York, in the last election cycle.

According to media reports, Paul's speech centered around concern that attention garnered by GOP candidates like Trump, distracts from pertinent discussions about the deficit and economy.

"Let's look to Republicans who not only talk the talk but walk the walk," Paul said. "If we find the right candidate I see no reason why we can't win in 2012."

Paul recently toyed with the idea of joining the pack of Republicans contending for the 2012 presidential bid, until his father, Rep. Ron Paul of Texas announced his exploratory committee earlier this week.

"He's my landlord in Washington. Can you imagine the family strife if we ran against each other?" Paul said according to media reports. "I'm afraid that I could be kicked out of my apartment."

Filed under: 2012 • Birthers • Donald Trump • New Hampshire • President Obama
  1. OneMoreTime

TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO funny!
    Wonder if Trump has had time to manipulate, re-write, forge and doctor up his financial records which he said he
    would release "at the appropriate time" and when President Obama released his birth certificate. Not a man of
    his word, no suprise here.

April 28, 2011 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  2. Average Joe

One other bit of partisan hackery: If you remove the leading A from Aryan, it becomes Ryan.

April 28, 2011 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  3. Indy

I dont think Rand Paul has to worry now. Trump totally destroyed what little credibility he had with his stupidity in the past two months, his judgement skills could never be counted on again after all the outright lies he has told about the current President. His business empire took a huge credibility dive yesterday and most people that are smart will pull away from investing in anything with the name Trump on it. The Donald is not going to have the time or money to keep playing his sick little game now that it has totally backfired so there is little to worry about for Rand Paul.

April 28, 2011 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  4. Sniffit

Who knew? Randroid can sometimes make a funny. And here I thought animated automatons were incapable of humor.

April 28, 2011 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  5. GC From Cols

I would love to write a caption for this photo...

April 28, 2011 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  6. michael

between trump, palin and the other republican jokers running for president, this should be very entertaining. pass the popcorn. i cant wait for obama to wipe the floor with this cast of characters

April 28, 2011 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  7. michael

trumps a lying tool

April 28, 2011 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  8. david

typical GOP as soon as trump loses out the GOP now asks for his credential, but while he carried water for the GOP/Birthers and rand paul they all remained silent...hypocrites...i cant wait to see the GOP dump the Tea parties like hot potato after they lose the General election on 11/05/2012...hahaha ....Obama,Biden 2012!!!

April 28, 2011 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  9. ConservaFASCISTS -aka- Mammon

"I want to see the original long-form certificate of Donald Trump's Republican registration."

LMAO. This is priceless. Trump's more liberal than most liberals.

April 28, 2011 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  10. JBrooke

So what happens if the president's credentials are false...what happens now Mr. Trump two years later. Is he impeached? Is he exiled to Africa? Give me a break

April 28, 2011 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  11. Dave

Good one, Sen. Paul!!!!!!
    Here's hoping your father crushes him. He may be the country's only hope. The establishment GOP and Dems continue to wreck the country (on orders from their international banker and corporation bosses).

April 28, 2011 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  12. Toad

This angry old man should go back into the woodwork. He hasn't got a prayer and he's a waste of time!

April 28, 2011 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  13. a little sad

Not a Rand fan, but that was funny!

April 28, 2011 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  14. Joshua

This man embarasses me, I hate saying that I am apart of this state just because of Rand Paul. Atleast I can say I didn't vote for him.

April 28, 2011 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  15. LovesIrony

If we find the right candidate I see no reason why we can't win in 2012." I see this reason: pulling the rug out from under middle class taxpaying workers when it comes to medicare and giving still more tax breaks to the uber rich. Throw Mama from the Train indeed.

April 28, 2011 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  16. Toad

He's looking out for his daddy!! Pretty comical!

April 28, 2011 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  17. Pie

I want to see the orignal long term certifcate that Donald Trumph is a human being.

Surely we need that before he can be officially declared human.

April 28, 2011 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  18. Laverne

Show us the tax papers for the past 10 years, I don't think so then all of his underhand, dirty dealings wiill be exposed besides if Donald Trump were to become president, his head would literally explode off his body, he is so arrogant and narcistic he could not survive with any more power!

April 28, 2011 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  19. sue

Lord, I hope he's not a Democrat! The Republicans can have him!!!

April 28, 2011 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  20. Dan

And now they start to eat their own.

April 28, 2011 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  21. jb1960

The republican party is so jacked up they don't know who is in the party. Well I will tell you who is in the republican party.
    Uneducated poor and lower middle class white people who are easily fooled by rich old white guys. And the blacks in the republican party are uncle Toms.

April 28, 2011 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  22. NATHAN WIMBERLY

What a joke. Wingnuts are worried that Trump is messing up their Rommney plan. Didn't they slap a muzzle on Rand after Maddow punked him? When they kill Medicare,it won't matter who they force to walk the plank.

April 28, 2011 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  23. skarphace

"If we find the right candidate I see no reason why we can't win in 2012."

The Pauls are very intelligent and well spoken. And Rand is right, Trump is not a true Republican. He is just an attention-grabbing blowhard who has been striving on the attention he gets from hate-mongering lately. He has no true affiliation. Everything he does is for Trump and Trump alone.

I am not sure my vote would go for Ron in 2012, but at least I would listen to him as he discusses the issues instead of resorting to baseless personal attacks. If Trump wins the Republican nomination in 2012 it will insure 4 more years of Obama. If that's what you Republicans want, so be it. As a moderate, I would rather have a choice in 2012.

April 28, 2011 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  24. Vince F

Rand Paul should run. He's been an optometrist and now a Senator for 12 months. He makes Sarah Palin look over-qualified.

April 28, 2011 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  25. bigdad

Now that's the kettle calling the pot black. What a circus.

April 28, 2011 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |