Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels still deciding on presidential campaign
April 30th, 2011

Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels still deciding on presidential campaign

(CNN)-Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels' potential run for the Republican presidential nomination is still up in the air. The governor refused to settle the will-he-or-won't-he question Saturday when he told reporters "you can't announce a decision you haven't made."

When a reporter pointed out that the issues Daniels has handled as chief executive of Indiana are similar to those of someone who may have ambition for higher office, Daniel quipped, "It occurred to me while I was making my breakfast this morning, if I switched from oatmeal to corn flakes, someone would say it's a move to the Iowa Caucus. It's just a weird time."

And later, the potential GOP contender downplayed a possible run when Indiana House Speaker Brian Bosna jokingly referred to a desire to work on a Daniels-for-president campaign. "Nah," Daniels interrupted. "There's a non-starter."

He insists that his top priority as governor is to serve Indiana and settle issues with state lawmakers before he weighs a presidential bid.

One of those is a controversial bill that would strip Indiana's Planned Parenthood chapter of $2 million in federal funds that the group receives to provide preventive health services for women. Daniels has committed to sign the bill, which passed both houses of state legislature with bipartisan support.

"It's not the first right-to-life bill I've signed that's consistent with policy that I've always had," the second-term governor asserted.

"Any of the seven organizations that are likely to be affected here can requalify for Medicaid funds immediately if they simply cease or separate their abortion activities."

Planned Parenthood slammed Daniels for his decision Friday in a statement. "Clearly, Governor Daniels would rather play politics with women's health than show leadership and fiscal responsibility in rejecting a bill that will ultimately cost the state millions in federal funding," said Cecile Richards, president of Planned Parenthood Federation of America.

But Daniels argued that he's merely following the lead of Indiana's residents. "This expresses the will of the people of Indiana and I had no basis of overturning it, and have no intention of doing so," he said.

And of his long-awaited announcement, Daniels stated he will decide, "As soon as I've come to rest in my own mind what the right decision is."

CNN's Steve Brusk contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2012 • Indiana • Mitch Daniels
  1. Marjee123

Keep on deciding there Daniels. Hope you decide to leave the US and go to one of those countries where they might make YOU the dictator. I mean after all isn't that what republicans each want to be? Guess CA conservative will find something to say about this, if they can read that is.

April 30, 2011 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  2. ckesey

Mitch, if you like hidden agenda. Not as brassy or vulgar as some of his neolibertarian brethren but much more determined, in a crafty and sneaky way, to destroy decades of social progress. If you loved Newt, say hello to his eggheaded little brother. I live in Indiana, love that dirty water-

April 30, 2011 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  3. Larry L

He's white enough... but is he crazy enough? Nobody with a brain can seriously consider any of the right-wing freak show that is the Republican Party. I'd like to see if Mitch Daniels would be willing to adopt a few of the children created for lack of education or birth control. I guess the good Christians of Indiana are prepared for increased rates of STDs, higher teen pregnancy and higher infant mortality. Two facts for them to know – 1. No federal money pays for abortions and 2. The President was born in Hawaii. Got it?

April 30, 2011 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  4. Mike

I do not understand how any woman can vote republican. LESS GOVERNMENT. Who is he to tell any body yea or nea on abortion. KEEP RELIGION OUT POLITICS.

April 30, 2011 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  5. skarphace

As a moderate I would be willing to listen to Daniels as long as he discusses the issues and does not resort to baseless personal attacks. In doing so, he will have to defend his policy in Indiana. My vote will not go to any candidate that relies on personal attacks, but it is not 100% for Obama either.

Republicans: dump Trump and other attack dogs and lets get to debating the issues. Do this and you have a chance in 2012. Don't and you won't.

April 30, 2011 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  6. Lisa Mitchell

Is there anyone NOT considering the GOP run? All they need is a trapeeze twit...oh never mind there is Sarah, and they could start their own circus. Barnum and Bailys better watch out, they got some serious competition on the move!

May 1, 2011 12:44 am at 12:44 am |
  7. CKesey

If you liked Newt you'll love Mitch. Although not as brash or vulgar as his right wing libertarian brethren, he is every bit as bent. After pummeling us with his economic "vision" under Bush, he came to our state bearing some weird brand of populism and a very crafty plan to centralize power in the hands of a few cronies. You heard right-welcome to the Soviet Republic of Indiana.

May 1, 2011 12:50 am at 12:50 am |
  8. Are You Kidding me???

Couldn't post on the top stories so here I am!! HAIL TO OUR COMMANDER IN CHIEF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He knocked it out of the park last night. "Don't hate the player, hate the game". Every since this birther crap started he has held his tongue and been the ultimate picture of class and style, but noooooooooo that was not good enough for the haters. They just could not leave well enough alone. He did what he does best, he ignored them and then SLAMMED them in a most appropriate setting and a appropriate time! I am loving having a President who is both intelligent and patient. Trump was mad as hell, but "if you cannot take it then DON'T DISH IT OUT"!!!!!!!! Even rich people have to adhear to "what goes around comes around"!!!

May 1, 2011 07:54 am at 7:54 am |
  9. rusty155

Gov. Daniels has let the TEA PARTY get to him, I voted for him for both term he ran for GOV. But If he ran for anything else he wouldn't get my vote. I believe the TEA PARTY Is bad for America, the only people the Tea Party Is going to help Is The KOCK'S BROTHER and the RICH. I can't believe GOV. Daniels Have take the right away for Health care. Everyone know That Plan Parenthood can't use federal dollar for Abortions. This Is Just TEA party crap. And another thing shouldn't this been on a voting ballet , so the people of Indiana could vote on. You say this Is what the Residents of Indiana wanted. Well Gov Daniels I live In Indiana all may live and no body has every ask me about It. I don't believe In Abortions, except maybe if some one was rape or something In that line.Gov Daniels you been Gov of Indiana for eight years and I thought you did a very good Jobs. So why you like the TEA PARTY talk you In something like this. I heard a lot of woman who Is not happen with this move of your.

May 1, 2011 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  10. taylor

Old Mitch, has to many skeletons in his closet, he is going
    to have a flashback one of these days, lets hope like
    hell he doesnt have control of the nukes, when he does.
    I suggest he hit the bong and mellow out, again. Wow, what
    if he comes out the fog and realizes he is a republican and freaks out!!

May 1, 2011 09:20 am at 9:20 am |