Trump finds White House dinner ‘inappropriate’
U.S. President Barack Obama arrives with First Lady Michelle Obama at the White House Correspondents' Association annual dinner in Washington DC, April 30, 2011.
May 1st, 2011

Trump finds White House dinner ‘inappropriate’

Washington (CNN) - Donald Trump reacted to the onslaught of jokes about him by President Barack Obama and comedian Seth Meyers at the White House Correspondents Association Dinner Saturday with his own view of the events.

“You get to a certain level and you rise to a certain level, let’s say in this case in the polls and boy, does the world come after you,” Trump, a potential 2012 candidate, said on "Fox and Friends" Sunday.

At the event, Obama made light of Trump’s repeated calls for him to release his birth certificate, something he did Wednesday, and Meyers made fun of everything from his hair to his presidential ambition. Although Trump appeared unamused during Saturday’s dinner, he said he was honored “in a certain way” to be a focal point.

“I really knew what I was getting into last night. I had no idea it would be to that extent where, you know just joke after joke after joke,” the mogul said. “It was almost like, is there anyone else they can talk about?”

And what was his assessment of Meyers’ comedic timing?

“His (Meyers) delivery was not good. He’s a stutterer and he really was having a hard time,” Trump said of the “Saturday Night Live” star.

When asked about a recent profanity-laced speech in Las Vegas Wednesday Trump said he probably won’t use that language anymore, but that it pales in comparison to the rhetoric in “real negotiations.”

“When people see the real negotiation, the real negotiation that will go on with China and that will go on with OPEC and others, this is very mild compared to what happens in a real room,” Trump said. “The problem is we don’t have a real room because we don’t have anybody that knows how to negotiate.”

1. Jack

Trump reminds me of a wimpy kid.

May 1, 2011 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  2. Brett

"He also found the event “inappropriate in certain respects” and spent the evening thinking about how “the American people are really suffering and we’re all having a good time.”"

LOL Oh Trump, such a jokester. I wonder if he was thinking about that while he was filming The Apprentice too.

May 1, 2011 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  3. Kenny

Trump said, “I really knew what I was getting into last night". Then he said, "I had no idea it would be to that extent where, you know just joke after joke after joke. It was almost like, is there anyone else they can talk about?”

OK, so let's answer his last question first. NO. There was no one else in the room to talk about. When Trump talks, he loves being the focus of the attention but when Trump is talked about, he wants others to take the heat. He reminds me of Sarah Palin. She and he are the victims, always except when they are doing the talking.

Second point. Trump said he knew what he was getting into last night. Well if he knew, why then was he surprised when he became to focus or "Butt" of the attention? I wonder how this man managed to get into and through the Whorton School of Finance. I want to see his grades. I suspect he was not a very good student. I'm sure he didn't get through on Affirmative Action but I do wonder if his parents paid for his grades. I hope he does run so he can look at the final vote from the American people and hear their final message saying, Donald Trump, YOU'RE FIRED. " LOL

May 1, 2011 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  4. Kenneth

I want Trump to stay in this race as long as possible. The real joke will be how much money He,Trump, will lose. I didn't vote for Obama last time but since he's been in office he's faced crisis after crisis. The onslaughts this man has endured is beyond comprehension and reason. I hope Obama just keeps his cool and proves his superior intellect in every debate that He is in. Hands down, Obama is many IQ points above Trump. You have shown me, Mr.President, how gracious you can be and in todays climate thats everything.

May 1, 2011 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  5. NVa Native

That sleazy rat-on-the-head wearing bag of poop calls something "innapproriate" ~ "just joke after joke after joke" is about the truth of it when it comes to Trump. He is a sad little boy who is craven about his blatant pursuite of attention.

May 1, 2011 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  6. Name Creole

okay but it's okay for you to talk about the President like his a BOY!!!!! Right Trump!!!!j well the good old days are over.

May 1, 2011 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |