Trump finds White House dinner ‘inappropriate’
U.S. President Barack Obama arrives with First Lady Michelle Obama at the White House Correspondents' Association annual dinner in Washington DC, April 30, 2011.
May 1st, 2011

Trump finds White House dinner ‘inappropriate’

Washington (CNN) - Donald Trump reacted to the onslaught of jokes about him by President Barack Obama and comedian Seth Meyers at the White House Correspondents Association Dinner Saturday with his own view of the events.

“You get to a certain level and you rise to a certain level, let’s say in this case in the polls and boy, does the world come after you,” Trump, a potential 2012 candidate, said on "Fox and Friends" Sunday.

At the event, Obama made light of Trump’s repeated calls for him to release his birth certificate, something he did Wednesday, and Meyers made fun of everything from his hair to his presidential ambition. Although Trump appeared unamused during Saturday’s dinner, he said he was honored “in a certain way” to be a focal point.

He also found the event “inappropriate in certain respects” and spent the evening thinking about how “the American people are really suffering and we’re all having a good time.”

And what was his assessment of Meyers’ comedic timing?

“His (Meyers) delivery was not good. He’s a stutterer and he really was having a hard time,” Trump said of the “Saturday Night Live” star.

When asked about a recent profanity-laced speech in Las Vegas Wednesday Trump said he probably won’t use that language anymore, but that it pales in comparison to the rhetoric in “real negotiations.”

“When people see the real negotiation, the real negotiation that will go on with China and that will go on with OPEC and others, this is very mild compared to what happens in a real room,” Trump said. “The problem is we don’t have a real room because we don’t have anybody that knows how to negotiate.”

1. Jeremiah Hex

After seeing his ex-wives, his hotels, his shows, his art collection, and his hair, I find it nearly impossible to believe that Trump has ever found *anything* inappropriate.

May 1, 2011 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  2. me

Wow, Donald Trump is as spiteful as Sarah Palin. If you can't take the heat, Donald, not only get out of the kitchen but I recommend you don't even go near it.

May 1, 2011 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  3. GJ

Bitter, bitter, bitter. He got played and held accountable for his douchebaggery, get over it. Don't blame the polls, blame yourself.

May 1, 2011 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  4. Squigman

Inappropriate! How inappropriate is it for a person with nothing to give to the country but massive ego, the idea that he, or she is the appropriate person for the top leadership position of president. What planet are these pods from?

May 1, 2011 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  5. A guy

Poor baby. Don't like being kidded? GO AWAY!

May 1, 2011 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  6. Sharon

Trump can complain all he want to the President and Meyers tore him a new one,now he knows how it feel to be talked about for no reason other than hate and stupidity good for him.

May 1, 2011 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  7. cln27549

This goes to show how "Thin skinned" Donald Trump is, he likes to "dish it out" but can't take it when he is in the hot seat. I wonder what he will come up with next.

May 1, 2011 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  8. Seriously?!

"“I really knew what I was getting into last night. I had no idea it would be to that extent where, you know just joke after joke after joke,” the mogul said. “It was almost like, is there anyone else they can talk about?”"

I know "Tweety Bird Lips"! Joke after joke after joke, people begin to get annoyed. Kinda like YOU asking for our AMERICAN President's birth certificate, then his school transcripts, then some other transcript you can't wait to choose out your ..... for no good reason other than to be......annoying.

May 1, 2011 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  9. ATL Guy

Somehow China doesn't do it for me as a boogeyman Chump. Get over it, you are a thin skinned racist clown. Classless, that's what you and the Republicans are.

May 1, 2011 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  10. JustMe

Oh give me a break, Donald – you're so full of yourself. Inappropriate? Yes, a lot of people are suffering right now, but sometimes people just need to get away from that kind of thing and enjoy themselves if they're able to – and this event has gone every year since 1914 despite some pretty horrific things that have been happening all around us (wars, recessions etc ... have all happened before – this unfortunately is not the first time – nor unfortunately will it be the last, I am quite sure). And don't like you suddenly care about the average American citizen, because we all know that it is just for show and deep down inside you couldn't give a rat's you know what about us. And if you don't like comedians poking fun at you, well then, you're better off not to run, because it will only get more pronounced the farther idiots like you carry this ridiculous charade you insist on continuing.

May 1, 2011 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  11. Charlie from the North

I've taught middle school long enough to be qualified to label Donald Trumos Behavior he has DIOBCTI sydrome. He can dish it out but he can't take it. I've seen it before and it is not a pretty sight. It is dab enough in adolessance but adult cases are most severe. And one should not get elected Presidnet while suffering this affliction.

May 1, 2011 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  12. DFMM

The message to you, Donald, is don't dish it out if you can't take it.......

May 1, 2011 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  13. Reggie from LA

He can dish it out, but he can't take it. He has insulted and disrespected the most preeminent post and expects no criticism in return? Talk about arrogant.I It's like the playground bully. He wants it all to go his way or not at all. If Trump had come out as a reasonable candidate rather than a puffed up, Tea Party panderer, he might not be the brunt of so many jokes. A few maybe....

May 1, 2011 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  14. imp

LOL. What a joke trump is! I find him highly inappropriate!

May 1, 2011 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  15. Terry

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A Comedy Central Roast is PRESIDENTIAL?!?!?!?!?!? If his bank account was as big as his ego he could buy and sell Bill Gates. If The Donald knew what is and what isn't appropriate comedians all over the world would lose alot of good material.

May 1, 2011 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  16. Nija

Mr. Trumpet. Humble your self may be we will listen to you. When I listen to you, all I hear and understand is: Me, my Self and I. You are very pompous and sometimes you sound like an Idiot. An example of you is, Sarah Palin

May 1, 2011 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  17. The Prince of Common Cents

"INAPPROPRIATE?!?" Really?!? How about your blatant, disrespect for the President of the United States and your refusing to apologize?!? How about your rambling interviews on Fox and CNN?!? How about your numerous, misleading statistics and misquotes?!? How about your refusing to show your tax records?!? How about your unprofessional language in Las Vegas?!? Was that very presidential?!? How about your ridiculous statement that you have a "great relationship with the BLACKS?!?" Do the American voters (and the Obama campaign) a favor: Keep running your mouth! Keep being a media attention hog! Keep talking about what you (and your money) can do for this country! Keep referring to China and OPEC as "mutherf*ckas! Because none of that is "innapropriate"....

May 1, 2011 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  18. Dennis

Trump also said, "I was thinking to myself as they were doing this, you know, the American people are really suffering and we're all having fun at a gala."

So why was he there?? Why did he go?? Pathetic.

May 1, 2011 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  19. Proud member of "Global Zero"

Honestly, I enjoyed it. It has been a hard 2 years for my family but, we are all working now. Kids are back in college, my 403B is going back up. We just need leaders that will invest in our children' s future like the President wants to do. Trump, shouldn't you be playing golf or something? I prefer to spend time with my family, how about you?

May 1, 2011 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  20. Thinks2010

What. Did da president hurt little Twumpie's feelings? Poor little Twumpie.

May 1, 2011 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  21. FM

Trump has become a big entertainer. I heard him saying that he went to the "Annual dinner" to get nice food but he found almost all jokes were about him!

May 1, 2011 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  22. Four and The Door

________________________________________________________________________________________________
    This was directly at 2 people; Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton. In that regard, Donald Trump is exactly correct.

May 1, 2011 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  23. Susan

Fox to rhe rescue, again.

May 1, 2011 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  24. BIll

Donald Trump is an arrogant, loud-mouthed gas bag and I am comforted every time I see him leading the GOP pack in the polls.

May 1, 2011 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  25. Laura

What a blowhard. I'm sure The Donald has many, many sleepless nights in his various million dollar homes, with his gold gilded bathrooms, on his private jets and helicopters, worrying about how the average American is suffering.

I think he should loosen up the slots and stack the decks in favor of the gamblers at his casino if he's so concerned.

May 1, 2011 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |