Limbaugh: 'Thank God for President Obama'
May 2nd, 2011

Limbaugh: 'Thank God for President Obama'

Washington (CNN)- Conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh first heaped praise upon President Obama only to then qualify his remarks during his syndicated daily show Monday after saying, "Thank God for President Obama."

In a veiled critique, Limbaugh first praised Obama's role in the operation against Osama bin Laden, but later turned sarcastically critical.

"I, me, my, three of the most used words in President Obama's media appearance last night, not a single intelligence adviser, not a single national security adviser, military adviser, came up with the idea...not one of them... according to Obama, had the ability to understand the need to get DNA. This was Obama's message last night," Limbaugh said.

He credited Obama with continuing the "Bush policies" of keeping a military presence in the Middle East and refusing to "scrub the mission to get bin Laden" early in his program.

"Ladies and gentleman, we need to open the program today by congratulating President Obama," he said. "President Obama has done something extremely effective, and when he does, this needs to be pointed out."

And Limbaugh seemingly gushed about the commander-in-chief's competency following what he called the "assassination" of Osama bin Laden Sunday.

"You see the military wanted to go in there and bomb, like they always do…But President Obama, perhaps the only qualified member in the room to deal with this, insisted on the special forces," he explained.

"Our military wanted to go in there and just scorch the earth leaving no evidence of anything after the mission. But President Obama single-handedly understood what was at stake here. He alone understood the need to get DNA to prove the death, Obama alone understood the aftermath."

According to Limbaugh, Obama's success must be linked to former President George W. Bush.

"We need to never forget that President Obama deserves praise for continuing the policies established by George W. Bush which led to the learning, the acquisition of this intel that led us to the enlarged hut in Pakistan that led to the assassination of bin Laden last night," he declared.

"Thank God for President Obama. If he had not been there, who knows what would've happened."

Filed under: Osama bin Laden • President Obama • Rush Limbaugh
  1. Eric in Colorado

I think Hell as frozen over. But for him to say that Bush supplied the intel? NOT! They were too interested in stealing from the treasury....

May 2, 2011 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  2. Britany

This is about the smartest thing Rush has ever said. Good for him!

May 2, 2011 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  3. Justin

Guys. He was being sarcastic. Seriously.

May 2, 2011 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  4. Shocked

Wow this amazes me... kudos to Rush Limbaugh, a man whom I have never had an ounce of respect for, for taking the high road and not braying with the rest of the sheep.

May 2, 2011 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  5. Dep103

and then his head exploded...

May 2, 2011 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  6. GI Joe

I find it disgusting that so many republicans want to give kudos to Shrub. They think Shrub diverting everything to Iraq was a plan to get Osama?? Yet they refuse to give Shrub the blame for something he BLATANTLY did for 8 years, run up massive debts and wipe out a surplus, give unfunded tax cuts to the wealthy, and not fund TWO wars in any way whatsoever.

It's amazing to hear their spin. Republican propaganda akin to the fascist propaganda that led to WWII. SHAME.

May 2, 2011 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  7. Martha in CF

What????? Has Limbaugh got a bad fever causing him to be delirious????????? Why don't you rethink the crap that you talk about on your radio show, Limbaugh--why not spread good cheer instead of hate.......Maybe you could make a difference in this world also.........................

Obama/Biden 2012

May 2, 2011 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  8. Thomas A Martinet

I think that Rush is going to have a mental breakdown! Will he become a Democrat? Linking this event to GWB is a far stretch however. George just wanted to take out Saddam & kill our men & women in doing so, along will thousands of Iraquis. Thank god for Barack Obama & to hell with GWB!

May 2, 2011 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  9. Bessy

WOW ! He must have changed whatever it is he has been smoking. For today anyway, he understands what is going on in the country. Everything he said today is the truth and I am glad to see that he recognizes it.

May 2, 2011 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  10. TRUTH SEEKER

is rush serious about his praises for obama hard to believe. for me i always had confidence in president obama. OBAMA JUST NEEDS TIME AND NON INTERFERENCE AND HE WILL ACCOMPLISH A LOT.

May 2, 2011 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  11. bcrunner

Is EVERYONE as stunned as I am?? Please tell me. Are my having an out-of-body experience?? Is Rush actually praising Presidnet Obama? All I cay say is WOW!! WOW!!!!

May 2, 2011 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  12. John

He managed to praise Bush for his policy that didn't work for 7 years. Well we all know that deep inside he's going to vote for Obama in 2012.

May 2, 2011 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  13. Joe

This "puff piece" of an article neglects to mention that also on today's show, Limbaugh purposely confused Obama and Osama multiple times, attempting to be funny. He also stated, “If he was a shoo-in for re-election, Osama Bin Laden would still be alive today.”

May 2, 2011 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  14. Dave

Now I know that we are at the end of the world, Limbaugh praised Obama???? What??

May 2, 2011 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  15. Lorraine

Did you not get the full context of his remarks? They were dripping with sarcasm, not honest praise. Get the story right before you put it out.

May 2, 2011 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  16. Not All Docs Play Golf

The reason the U.S. has bin Laden's DNA is because he was a sperm donor to Limbaugh's mother.

May 2, 2011 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  17. ThinkAgain

I know I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth (I mean, really, did Hades freeze over, or what?), but ...

I disagree with Limbaugh that President Obama "continued President Bush's policies" in regard to Osama bin Laden.

In March 2002, Bush famously said in regard to bin Laden, "I don't know where he is.. I don't spend much time worrying about it." Bush let Afghanistan linger on the back burner, letting al Qaeda and the Taliban re-establish in that country. Out of sight, out of mind ...

I also think Limbaugh is being very disrespectful and downright ignorant to say, "Our military wanted to go in there and just scorch the earth leaving no evidence of anything after the mission. But President Obama single-handedly understood what was at stake here."

President Obama lead this effort, including leading 6 weeks of National Security Council meetings with NO LEAKS, but I seriously doubt that our military would have promoted the heavy-handed approach Limbaugh attributes to them.

Limbaugh is and always will be a doofus in my book.

May 2, 2011 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  18. Tea bagger!!!!!

what an IDIOT!!!

May 2, 2011 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  19. ThinkAgain

Isn't Limbaugh worried that all his listeners' head will explode by him praising President Obama?

May 2, 2011 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  20. pete

i'm very shocked and thought i'd never say this in a million years. thank you, rush, for being a bigger than i thought.

May 2, 2011 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  21. Lisa Brennan

If memory serves, Bush said he 'did not know or care where Osama was", that he 'did not spend time thinking about Ben Laden". So stop it, Limbaugh. Give credit where credit is due.

May 2, 2011 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  22. Darlene

Yeah sounds like sour grapes to me. They can't stand the thought of Obama getting him on his watch.

May 2, 2011 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  23. Irma in North Carolina

Tomorrow he will turn around ands run the president into the ground. But he did better than Sarah did with her statement.

May 2, 2011 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  24. Rudy NYC

"...,who knows what would have happened." Good question. Special Ops and boots on the ground wasn't in anyone's playbook except for a young Senator in the fall of 2007 describing what he would do with "actionable intelligence." I guess Mr. Limbaugh is trying to apologize for the harsh criticism he handed out (along with most every other candidate) at the time and since.

I would guess that Obama might ask James Earl Jones to call up Rush and say, "Apology accepted, Mr. Limbaugh."

May 2, 2011 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  25. Sniffit

Monkeys are flying straight out of my butt right now. Never thought I'd see the day. Of course, I still smell a set up, but we'll ahve to wait and see.

May 2, 2011 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |