Limbaugh: 'Thank God for President Obama'
May 2nd, 2011

Limbaugh: 'Thank God for President Obama'

Washington (CNN)- Conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh first heaped praise upon President Obama only to then qualify his remarks during his syndicated daily show Monday after saying, "Thank God for President Obama."

In a veiled critique, Limbaugh first praised Obama's role in the operation against Osama bin Laden, but later turned sarcastically critical.

"I, me, my, three of the most used words in President Obama's media appearance last night, not a single intelligence adviser, not a single national security adviser, military adviser, came up with the idea...not one of them... according to Obama, had the ability to understand the need to get DNA. This was Obama's message last night," Limbaugh said.

He credited Obama with continuing the "Bush policies" of keeping a military presence in the Middle East and refusing to "scrub the mission to get bin Laden" early in his program.

"Ladies and gentleman, we need to open the program today by congratulating President Obama," he said. "President Obama has done something extremely effective, and when he does, this needs to be pointed out."

And Limbaugh seemingly gushed about the commander-in-chief's competency following what he called the "assassination" of Osama bin Laden Sunday.

"You see the military wanted to go in there and bomb, like they always do…But President Obama, perhaps the only qualified member in the room to deal with this, insisted on the special forces," he explained.

"Our military wanted to go in there and just scorch the earth leaving no evidence of anything after the mission. But President Obama single-handedly understood what was at stake here. He alone understood the need to get DNA to prove the death, Obama alone understood the aftermath."

According to Limbaugh, Obama's success must be linked to former President George W. Bush.

"We need to never forget that President Obama deserves praise for continuing the policies established by George W. Bush which led to the learning, the acquisition of this intel that led us to the enlarged hut in Pakistan that led to the assassination of bin Laden last night," he declared.

"Thank God for President Obama. If he had not been there, who knows what would've happened."

Filed under: Osama bin Laden • President Obama • Rush Limbaugh
  1. al in memphis

I did not hear these comments myself to know the tone of this. However, my first thought after reading this was - April 1 was last month.
    The phone rang at 3 am- answered, and solution provided at 3:15 am...
    Critics need to look for another false issue to accused Obama

May 2, 2011 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  2. Edward

I suppose he was being sarcastic? Hard to tell because the article makes it sound as though he was trying to be sincere.

May 2, 2011 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  3. SF

what a joke! you fat tub of lard! Bush didn't have anything to do with this!!!

May 2, 2011 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  4. Melvyn...

Not sure if he was cynical...:)

May 2, 2011 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  5. DIANA

I never thoought I'd see the day when Limbaugh showed class. Too bad most of the other Republican's couldn't do the same. God Bless our President!

May 2, 2011 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  6. Joel Miller

In one elegant assault, Obama and his crew did what Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld and Co. couldn't do in 8 years and two mismanaged and messy wars.

May 2, 2011 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  7. JeremyNABQ

Heh... whatever rush

May 2, 2011 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  8. Allen in Hartwell GA

Oh No!!! Does this mean that now I have to dislike Obama? Nah, I'll just continue to ignore Lim"barf" like I've done for the last 18 years.

May 2, 2011 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  9. Jerry

BREAKING NEWS – Flying Pigs sighted over Washington!!

May 2, 2011 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  10. GrogInOhio

That reads like sarcasm. Of the least entertaining kind. I think CNN may have been snookered.

May 2, 2011 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  11. Floyd

i.. i... i think the world is going to end... i'm actually kind of scared at the moment

May 2, 2011 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  12. ITALIAN NONNO

Has The Limbo Man experienced an Epiphany,.. i'm no fan of Limbaugh,.. but good for him for putting politics aside in this instance, and accordingly praising President Obama. Are you paying attention,.. Palin,.. Bachmann, Saxby Chambliss.

May 2, 2011 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  13. haha

WOW!!! I'm speechless. I was not expecting this from Limbaugh. He deserves credit for giving credit where it is due.

May 2, 2011 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  14. Andrew Phelps

He was being sarcastic.

May 2, 2011 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  15. alperkins

Rush is a big fat lying hypocrite

May 2, 2011 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  16. memphis one

Mr Limbaugh thank you. President Obama, perhaps the only qualified member in the room to deal with this, insisted on the special forces. That is you say today.

May 2, 2011 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  17. Andrew Phelps

(I fell for it too.)

May 2, 2011 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  18. Chris -- PSCA

Who are you, and what have you done with Rush Limbaugh?

May 2, 2011 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  19. Maryann

Okay, what new drugs is Limbaugh taking?

May 2, 2011 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  20. abe

if I was Limbaugh I would take back all he said about the president in th past and then admire the president for what he did. Now he tries to be the good guy, people with gutter mouth like him I do not trust. They are a snake in the grass and they will attack you anytime.

May 2, 2011 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  21. BostonianTheWoodlandsTX

It's really a shame I tell you. Even though there are millions of people in this country who elected President Obama ( showing that there are many in this country who truly look at the character of a person, and not their skin ton )

There still seems to be MILLIONS more who a a true fear of minorities. They're hispanic,black,asian and jewa-phobic I think.

It's killing Limbaugh,Palin and the rest of you fake a*% fraud far right-wingers you drape yourseleves in the flag and carry on as if you're holier and more patriotic than everyone else...it's KILLING you that President Obama can do something right. That the guy actually knows what he doing.

It defies logic that so many would give ALL the praise to Bush.....but someone he gets no praise for our current debt problem ?

The far right is making this country a horriblwe place. And to think....on a day when most Americans should be happy......

Limbaugh is playing politics. I mean really ??? Can't even let it go for ONE freaking day ! ONE !!!

May 2, 2011 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  22. Just Me

I am shocked at his reported statement "Thanks God for President Obama" despite he had to drag Bush all up in there. LOL. I think it's going to rain for the next 40 days and 40 nights! Afterall, this is the guy he wanted the President to fail. What happenned Limbaugh? Why the overnight conversation. Well, I guess time catches up with everyone. Bin Laden found out the hard way. Now time seems to be catching up with Limbaugh.

May 2, 2011 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  23. Abiding Lib

Thank you, Rush, for rising above petty politics and giving credit where credit was due. I am impressed.

May 2, 2011 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  24. Voice of Reason

And in other news... Today Glenn Beck said, "President Obama is my hero, and I only wish there were three or four of him...". Bill O'Reilly stated publicly that Nancy Pelosi is his Hero, and Chuck Norris signed up to be Hillary Clinton's personal 'bodyguard'. Reports of cats and dogs living together and other forms of mass hysteria are filtering in as well. It was just announced that NPR will be carrying the GOP convention, and that FOX News has pledged 1000% of next year's profits to the National Endowment for the Arts.

And Osama Bin Laden is dead.

May 2, 2011 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  25. diridi

tell all pakistan is not American ally, it is a rogue nation, bush poured money like crazy in pakistan.....what an idiot...

May 2, 2011 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |