Bin Laden was unarmed when killed, White House says
May 3rd, 2011

Bin Laden was unarmed when killed, White House says

Washington (CNN) - Osama bin Laden was not armed when he was shot and killed by U.S. forces in the assault on his compound in Pakistan, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said Tuesday.

The al Qaeda leader resisted the assault on his compound, Carney said, adding: "I think resistance does not require a firearm."

FULL STORY

Filed under: Jay Carney • Osama bin Laden
  1. Doug in NYC

So? Is that a problem? Neither were the 3,000+ American citizens bin laden killed on 9/11!

May 3, 2011 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  2. Charlie from the North

I don't think Tim McVeih was armed either. From a practical stand point capital punishment does not involved making sure the criminal is armed. My point is when you are Osama Bin Laden you don't really need to be armed to be dangerous.

May 3, 2011 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  3. david

Our "Awsome Military" are so Professional, skilled,and Brave, it would,nt have made a differance if he had a gun or not. Bin Ladens "Mortality was a given! Now he has to "Pay the price to the Big Man"

May 3, 2011 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  4. Real American

Were the people in the Towers Armed when the plains crashed into them. This guy is not sure of what he is talking about he keeps saying he is not sure of this and that. Osama is dead, I wish I was the one who pulled the trigger during my time in service.

May 3, 2011 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  5. Rudy NYC

If someone said that to you, what would you do? Too late, you're dead.

You read that entire sentence and thought about it. How do you know it was not a distraction?

May 3, 2011 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  6. Reg

So he was unarmed, big frikkin deal. The hundreds of people he killed in the World Trade Center and on board the air planes that were hijacked and used as bombs were not exactly trotting about with the latest in military hardware.

May 3, 2011 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  7. ConservaFASCISTS -aka- Mammon

No firearm resistence from Saddam and no firearm resistence from Osama. They're looking more and more like cowards.

May 3, 2011 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  8. Florida Joe

I don't believe any of the over 3000 people this guy killed on 911 were armed. Who cares HE'S DEAD..........GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 3, 2011 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  9. diridi

Great job, Obama.....great job....look Oil is already coming down, but do not deviate from Oil in dependency....nation needs it...focus on fuel efficiency, education, R and D, infrastructure, public transportation, jobs, bring back manufacturing, strong dollar, we need strong dollar to strengthen the economy.....no weak dollar, just know....o.k, do the right things....God bless..

May 3, 2011 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  10. Oy Vey Az

Who cares if he was unarmed? He's dead ! Good news ! End of story !

May 3, 2011 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  11. Marie MD

None of the poor innocent souls killed on 9-11 had weapons either. I am glad that this bas tard is dead and buried. Alive he would have been a martyr and sould have contined to be a news story. Dead he is gone, poof, no more, rot in hell (if they even allow you down there).

May 3, 2011 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  12. Dominican mama 4 Obama

We do A LOT of lying in government. I think we should have lied and said he WAS armed. I know that this murderer deserved his death but for appearances sake it is easier to eyeball-shoot someone when they armed, than to 'take down' an unarmed person.
    I'm just saying. We should've lied on this point.

May 3, 2011 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  13. Carl

Not an issue when warriors are dispatching souls.

May 3, 2011 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  14. Greg in Arkansas

So..........what's the point?
    Seals didn't know if he had a "vest" on and was going to blow everyone up.....head shot would have been my choice too.
    I served in Viet Nam and Afghanistan.....monday morning quarterbacks make me sick....unless you have to actually 'pull" the trigger.......keep your pie hole shut....

May 3, 2011 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |