May 4th, 2011

BREAKING: President Obama will not release bin Laden photos

(CNN) - President Barack Obama has made the decision not to release any of the photographs of "the deceased Osama bin Laden," White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said Wednesday.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Osama bin Laden • President Obama
  1. hahah

Is it because the only 'picture' they had is the same one that circulated right away, and then was proven to be a fake?

hrmmmmmm

May 4, 2011 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  2. Kenny

Good decision.

May 4, 2011 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  3. jon williams

This is another dumb obama decision. Eventually, he will release the photos in response to public outcry, just like he was forced into with the birth certificate. The American public will demand proof and conspiracy theories already have started. Does this President have advisors that are really this plain stupid.Who cares who if muslims are offended. I keep hearing that we are not at war with islam. I got news for you- Yes we are!!! Even Hitler tried in the beginning to see that Nazi's were a peaceful law abiding organization. Why do we keep pretending that the majority of muslims are good people. I'm sure there were peaceful nazi's as well

May 4, 2011 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  4. Jeanne Monaghan

I agree with the decision of NOT showing the picture of Osama bin Laden; I believe there will always be conspiracy theories; however, I trust our President to look at the "whole" picture and make his decision. I believe the picture of bin Laden in death will inflame his followers and is not needed. The great thing about being an American is that we can debate this freely without fear of recourse!

May 4, 2011 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  5. Gina

I like that decision. Not only am I relieved that me and my family will not have to look at and relive those images, I believe this decision neutralizes the backlash that would come from extremists who are just waiting for some overt action they can label as disrespectful. Images of a dead body would be judged to be disrespectful. Those who disagree with us do not believe what we say and do anyway. Without a photo they may question our veracity; with a photo they will question our veracity AND our morality.

May 4, 2011 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  6. michelle green

i honestly think that the media need to stop asking for the pictures of osama the president knows what he is doing let him be president do whats best for america the media are the ones who make problems worse leave the president alone

May 4, 2011 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  7. Bryant

Thank God for this.

May 4, 2011 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  8. Concerned!

So, we can publically released photos of our very own American citizens falling to their death from the Twin Towers but we can't released a photo of the man that did it? Why?!?! Is it really Bin Laden???

May 4, 2011 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  9. TD

Are you serious, after 10 years of hunting this man, the public is suppose to take the governments word? How many people do not trust the US government? I

May 4, 2011 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  10. PaulaName

Who knows if it really happened or not? Kind of handy to boost political ratings...after more than 10 years and with all the other issues that aren't getting solved?...just saying...how stupid does Obama really think most Americans are? I don't believe anything the man says. Show me the body!

May 4, 2011 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  11. Virginia Cantorna

It is wise not to release Bin Ladin's photo in death. President Obama should not have to "prove" the terrorist died like he was pressured to produce his birth certificate. I pray that all world leaders take care to think things through and make the difficult decisions with world peace always in mind.

May 4, 2011 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  12. The Truth Please

What a surprise!

May 4, 2011 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  13. kena nelson

Why won't all! It will bring some closure to the people who are still suffering from loosing people in 9/11 and other killings he has put on our people and people from other countrys!! What are yall hiding by not showing them!

May 4, 2011 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  14. Tom

I am dismayed. It appears most of the population trusts the government WAY TOO MUCH. I am not a SHEEP, I do not believe whatever I am told, I think for myself and draw my own conclusions. For all the SHEEPLE out there (sheep + people = sheeple), good luck, just keep believing everything that you are told and you will find yourself up a river without a paddle while the the few of us who can think for ourselves (and provide food and energy for ourselves) will be standing on the shore wondering why Sheeple cant swim.

May 4, 2011 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  15. Donald

Release the photos, it cannot be worse than seeing JFK's fatal gun shot that everyone has seen on the internet...

May 4, 2011 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  16. Dave

I personally don't think this is fair. We, as a country, have witnessed the terrible things OBL was responsible for. We pulled together as a nation after 9/11/01. Those of us who are fortunate enough to not have a relative or loved one injured or killed as a result of OBL's actions will still remember the consequences of what he has done. We feared for our freedom and supported every effort to bring OBL to justice. It's my opinion that we should have the opportunity to see the photos in question for closure's sake.

May 4, 2011 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  17. Christi

I am SO thankful that the President has made this decision, and I think it would have been in poor taste to broadcast any photos. We are about PEACE – not stirring up more trouble. Let sleeping dogs lie.

May 4, 2011 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  18. angela

It doesn't even matter. The people who don't believe it would just think the photos are fake. Why does anyone else need to see them? Use your imagination.

May 4, 2011 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  19. E.G. Voda

First I thought a photo should be released of Osama, but thinking of the details in depth, I think it would be a poor choice
    at this time. At some time in future, there may be a time due to certain circumstances, it may be released.

May 4, 2011 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  20. Don Holland

Is the choice between satisfying people's opportunity to rejoice or minimizing the potential of photo inflaming some terrorist. I'll choose saving lives every time . Thanks to President for his courage.

May 4, 2011 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  21. Christopher Lewis

Trump's fake hair piece is more believable than Osama's death; Osama is not Muhammad... release the photos!!!

May 4, 2011 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  22. ed bailey

The series of remarkably correct decision that are flooding out of Washington is just short of fantastic! The past dictatorship simply pales in comparison. The stunned silience and what do I do now stumbling incompetence hopefully will never be repeated!

May 4, 2011 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  23. Booch

Pics or it didn't happen. Seriously, pics or GTFO, Mr. President.

May 4, 2011 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  24. Bubs

While it is likely Osama is, in fact, dead, it would be nice to imagine him sequestered away somewhere where he can be submitted to a thourough interrogation. The intel potential would be significant.

May 4, 2011 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  25. ryandj

Good decision! I don't feel it's necessary to see gruesome pictures of him....Why antagonize his followers with this? It seems like it would just incite them more......

May 4, 2011 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |