Effort to 'bump' Trump from Indy pace car grows
May 4th, 2011

Effort to 'bump' Trump from Indy pace car grows

Washington (CNN) - A Facebook movement to unseat potential Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump from the pace car for the "Greatest Spectacle in Racing" has reached more than eleven thousand supporters over the last month.

The fabled Indianapolis 500 is scheduled to run at the "brickyard" on Sunday, May 29 and Trump is scheduled to pilot the pace car – a 400 horsepower V8 2011 Chevrolet Camaro – the Indianapolis Motor Speedway made the announcement on April 5.

But the Indystar and Indianapolis's Fox 59 WXIN reported Wednesday that the "bump Trump" page was started by Indianapolis attorney and race fan Michael Wallack on April 8 as he felt the selection "just wrong." The Facebook page's information is more specifically in response to Trumps efforts to get the president's birth certificate released: "Make no mistake, the "birther" movement is largely a racist movement (whether overtly or subtly, knowingly or unknowingly)."

The speedway told local media it's monitoring the protest.

Filed under: Donald Trump
  1. lgny

Why should Indy offer the honor to ANY candidate? This is NOT a political event and the Indy management should not be favoring any one of the potential candidates. If Trump announces that he is NOT running for office then they can offer him the honor. Otherwise, forget it.

May 4, 2011 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  2. Bob in PA

Hmm, IndyCar has a terrible dilemma. Please faceless Facebook users or their actual IndyCar fans.

May 4, 2011 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  3. Suzanne Wright

I joined the Facebook group and I'm thrilled that it just passed 12,000 likes!

For me, this isn't about politics. It's about The Greatest Spectacle in Racing. This is the 100th Anniversary of the 500. I feel that there are people more suitable given the occasion.

AJ Foyt – this is the 50th anniversary of his 1st win
    Alex Zanardi – Lost his legs and nearly lost his life in an Indy car accident. his story is an inspiration.
    Donald Davidson – Indy 500 historian and resident of Speedway

Has Donald Trump even been to the 500?

May 4, 2011 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  4. Stacey

Couldn't agree more! I wish NBC would drop The Chump's stupid show.

May 4, 2011 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  5. gt

the e mail must of been started by some one from msnbc....chris mathews or his clan...

May 4, 2011 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  6. Aaron Hapner

I am so glad that this issue has come up. As a resident of Indiana and a annual attendee of the INDY 500, Mr. Trump does not possess the qualities of a person deserving to drive the pace car. It is not good for Indiana and it is not good for this historical race, especially its 100th anniversary. I hope that the management of the INDY 500 have heard us.

May 4, 2011 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  7. Chipster

Oh, let him drive the little car around in a circle. What harm would it do? If something so pathetic as forcing someone as busy as the President to file an Information Act request to get his Certificate of Live Birth long form (just to end the distraction) made Trump "really proud," the poor man will probably be thrilled to drive the car. Think about how pathetic that is.

May 4, 2011 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  8. Me

Dump Trump, boycott Trump, ignore Trump. All work for me.

May 4, 2011 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  9. Chas in Iowa

Trump is a bigot and an egomaniac.
    I hope the racetrack is littered with so much garbage from the crowd that they won't be able to start the race. That would be a true protest. I suggest throwing chicken livers, raw.

May 4, 2011 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  10. Mike Hawthorne

I'd prefer all the drivers "bump" Trump during the race!

May 4, 2011 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  11. NATHAN WIMBERLY

Being from Indiana,Trump is a perfect fit for the redneck birthers here. Why do you think that they picked him ?

May 4, 2011 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  12. Brian

For Trump to drive the pace car would be a complete insult to me and tons of other true race fans. The race is not a political or popularity contest. Just a contest of sport, and drinking and sun. Donald Trump would be that gray cloud without a silver lining.

May 4, 2011 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  13. Phil in KC

I will be at the Indianapolis 500 and I do not want to see Trump piloting the pace car. Shoot, I don't want to see him at all, in any context.
    If I were on Facebook (which I'm not), I would certainly add my name to that list.

May 4, 2011 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  14. M-W-T

We should't let this foul mouth IDIOT drive anything.

May 4, 2011 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |