Obama won't release bin Laden photos: Reaction
May 4th, 2011

Obama won't release bin Laden photos: Reaction

(CNN) - President Obama's decision Wednesday not to release photos of Osama bin Laden after he was killed by U.S. forces is eliciting both support and opposition:

Sarah Palin, on Twitter:

@SarahPalinUSA Show photo as warning to others seeking America's destruction. No pussy-footing around, no politicking, no drama;it's part of the mission

Rep. Duncan Hunter, member of the House Armed Services Committee, in an interview with CNN:

"I want to see them personally...I did three tours. I'm not talking as a Member of the Armed Services Committee – as a Marine who did three tours because of 9/11. As Americans we deserve to see them."

House Speaker John Boehner
"He supports the president's decision," Boehner spokesman Michael Steel tells CNN.

House Minority Whip Steny Hoyer:
"I share the president's view. In my opinion there's no, there's no end served by releasing a picture of someone who has been killed and I think there is absolute proof that Osama bin Laden was in fact the person that was taken into custody, was killed in the process in the firefight, but I don't think there's any necessity to release the picture."

Rep. Peter King, Republican Chairman of the the Homeland Security Committee
“I understand the president’s decision and will not oppose it. While I have said that a photo release may be a good way to combat the predictable conspiracy theories about bin Laden’s death, this is a decision for the president to make, and I respect his decision.”

Sen. Lindsey Graham, Republican member of the Armed Services Committee

“I respectfully disagree with President Obama’s decision not to release the photos. It’s a mistake. The whole purpose of sending our soldiers into the compound, rather than an aerial bombardment, was to obtain indisputable proof of Bin Laden’s death. I know Bin Laden is dead. But the best way to protect and defend our interests overseas is to prove that fact to the rest of the world. I’m afraid the decision made today by President Obama will unnecessarily prolong this debate.”

Filed under: Osama bin Laden • President Obama
  1. Reg

There are advantages and disadvantages to all the options our President had. If we had used the cruise missle there would be no photos, no DNA, but more questions. I like his choice. It's Wednesday, way past the deadline for Monday moring quarterbacking. Look Forward.

May 4, 2011 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  2. NashJeff

WHO is Sarah Palin?

May 4, 2011 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  3. Leigh-Ann

Sarah Palin is an IDIOT!!!! Why anyone even cares what that STUPID woman thinks is beyond me.

May 4, 2011 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  4. Elena

Why on God's good earth would you lead the list of responses to Obama's decision with comments by the queen of dumb, Sarah Palin? Who gives a damn what that stupid, vain person thinks (assuming, of course, that she's capable of rational thought)?

Sarah Palin is a media creation, and CNN is at the top of the list of those who pander to her, although now you seem as mesmerized by Donald Trump as you've been with Palin since the last election. When will you guys learn that if you would stop giving these narcissists a platform for their stupidity, they'd go away?

Please, CNN, on behalf of all rational Americans, I beg you to stop covering every innane comment made by these fools. NO ONE CARES and you lose your credibility as a serious news source by pandering to them.

May 4, 2011 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  5. PHPoster

Nice to see Palin taking the chickenhawk torch and running with it.

May 4, 2011 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  6. anonymous

Sarah Palin, do you plan on hanging the picture in your bedroom? quit being immature and grow up for once!

7. ronnie

Another ignorant rant from Palin - what would she know about the politics of any of this?

8. mark woods

Palin needs to shut her pie-hole. President tracks down killer and she has the nerve to call him out. Let us reflect on her foreign policy expertise ......russia is my neighbor.

9. Kaci

That's it. I want the Navy Seals to take out Sarah Palin! She is now a national security risk, in addition to being the stupidest person on the planet. Why does the news media keep printing every idiotic thing that comes out of this woman's mouth? President Obama is really, disagreement with his policies aside, the smartest president we have had in my 50 years. To have this woman continue to be allowed air and print time with her asinine comments is a threat to our national security. Period.

10. Deborah Covington

Obama constantly make the American People question him. I'd like to ask him ... how's that working out for you? Keep it up Obama. We will let you know come election day, and it ain't gonna be pretty !

11. Kitty

Sarah Palin should write her next book and entitle it "My Pussy-footing Around and Blabbering Incoherently!" What a FREEEEEAAAAAK!

12. Craig from Pa.

Palin needs to shut up and disappear....

13. chee

Please keep talking Palin.

14. maureen

I agree with the president's decision. We do not need Al Qaeda getting more Agitated
    Good Job Mr President!

15. mcore

There is no valid reason to release the pictures of bin Laden with half his face blown off. And lots of valid reasons NOT to release them. Anyone who doesn't understand this is a ghoul.

16. Rhea

I don't think releasing the photos is such a good idea anyways; for one, supporters of Bin Laden would probably attack us and two, even though he was pretty bad guy, I don't think showing photos of his dead body would be in very good taste.

17. Ketraq

That's why Sarah Palin should never be president – she is an idiot

18. Darth Cheney

I guess the unnamed President needs to "man up" and stop "PUSSYfooting". She'll never be President, but she'd make a great Snark-in-Chief. Stay classy, Sarah!

May 4, 2011 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  19. Ketraq

She would complain if she was hung with a gold rope

May 4, 2011 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  20. Anonymous

Shut up Palin. Go away! You are an embarrasment to the American people.

May 4, 2011 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  21. hannah01

Listen, you dimwit, Palin...Just because you take pleasure in blowing away defenseless animals and seem to have a thirst for blood, doesn't mean the resut of us want to looks at a human being ( even an evil one, like bin Laden) with the front of his head blown away. The fact is, you can't stand it that it was under Obama's watch that bin Laden was finally caught and killed instead one of your idiot Repubs who couldn't do it in 10 years! You are irrelevant. Now go back into the hole from whence you came and for God's sake...SHUT UP!!

May 4, 2011 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  22. jammydevil

So Sara, If the White House is forced to release photos for the 'Deathers' and this act causes demonstrations arould the Muslim world in which innocent UN workers are killed (much like the aftermath of the FL pastor burning the Koran). Can we hold YOU responisble for those deaths?

May 4, 2011 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  23. Confuzzled

apparently Mrs. Palin can use a term that, when I use the same term, causes my comments to be moderated. Maybe somebody needs to moderate hers!

May 4, 2011 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  24. PalinForPresident

Yeah!! You tell him Sarah, if you were President we woldn't have any PussyFooting or quitting!!!....oops, I'm sorry my bad, I forgot, when the going got though, Sarah just quit!!!!...betcha ;)

May 4, 2011 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  25. Jeffe

Why, oh why must the media make a meal out of every pathetic quote this hag delivers?

May 4, 2011 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |