Fox terminates Gingrich and Santorum
May 5th, 2011

Fox terminates Gingrich and Santorum

(CNN) - Fox News Channel has terminated the contracts of paid contributors and potential 2012 candidates Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum, a spokesman for the network confirmed to CNN.

Contracts for the former House Speaker and former Pennsylvania senator were suspended until May 1st while they considered runs for the White House in 2012.

Santorum, who will appear in Thursday's GOP presidential debate in South Carolina, has since formed a presidential exploratory committee.

A Gingrich spokesman has said Gingrich would be a candidate before next Friday's Georgia's state Republican convention.

Other possible GOP contenders, former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, are still employees of Fox News.

Filed under: 2012 • Fox News • Newt Gingrich • Rick Santorum
  1. Mustang95

Doggone it, TF! You stepped on my line. I've got to be quicker... LOL. Nice one.

May 5, 2011 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  2. RSB

I hate to give Fox Noise any credit, but at least they can say what NBC won't tell Donald Trump: "YOU'RE FIRED". Maybe Fox could hire Donald Trump and take him off the air. Its obvious NBC isn't interested in anything other than their ratings. Oh, don't get any ideas Fox. I've still got you blocked on my TV.

May 5, 2011 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  3. T'sah from Virginia

About time!!!

But then again, both could have stayed employed because it does not matter. ONLY the TP and far-RIGHT watch Fox News and that is NOT enough to get them even elected to become the candidate!

May 5, 2011 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  4. CutTax

Fox better the MSNBC

May 5, 2011 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  5. No More

No more "Mutt and Jeff"?

May 5, 2011 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  6. SLC

Doesn't matter who runs for either side, they all care less about everyday people – Democrats & Republicans alike. The American people continue every election to forget what the government has done to ruin the average citizen & this country, and vote for a candidate who fills them with false hope! My only dream is one day the add "NONE of the ABOVE" to my choices when I have to vote for a government official.

May 5, 2011 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  7. pmk1953

Can we get a none-of-the-above space on the ballots?

May 5, 2011 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  8. Shemp Howard

It's a dog a pony show that will amount to NOTHING. A waste of time and money. They have ZERO chance at becoming president. They both have more baggage than Princess Vespa, and about as much allure as a school bus fire.

May 5, 2011 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  9. Boosker Beluski

It creeps me out that they all work for Fox. I wish that Soros, who is so much richer than Murdoch, would buy News Corp and make it ultra left-wing. Conservatives are in a bad space when four of their candidates are TV personalities, but then again, their hero was a Hollywood actor.

May 5, 2011 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  10. Welcome to Reality

Even democratic commentators have described Gingrich as "brilliant'. I'm sure they will still use the race card, as always, but it will be fun to watch what they have to say about a potential Gingrich run when their favorite taglines ("dumb", "stupid", etc) cannot be applied. Although I have to say, Trump is still my early favorite.

May 5, 2011 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  11. keeth in cali

HA! Great headline. If only it were literally true. "I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~M. Gandhi

May 5, 2011 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  12. Doug Mustard

Very sloppy headline, CNN. It's only the CONTRACTS that are terminated, not THEM.

May 5, 2011 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  13. POD

I guess they reached their 'sell by date'

May 5, 2011 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  14. Randy, San Francisco

Fox news should have just put them on temporary leave without pay because their campaign will end right after Iowa and New Hampshire.

May 5, 2011 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  15. camper

Well, I'm no flaming right-wing apologist for Fox. But the fact is, they are out-rating MSNBC and CNN combined in just about every time slot.

May 5, 2011 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  16. Republican Robber Baron

Fox News – Facts Don't Matter – is the official cheerleader for the Republican Party. Since when did Grinch, Santorum, Fox & Friends do any real "work" any way? None of the work on Fox – Facts Don't Matter – is any legitimate journalism. MSNBC at least has a former Republican Congressman doing the morning show and anchors do REAL investigative journalism...unlike Fox.

May 5, 2011 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  17. Kevin

The need to terminate Palin. She does not make any sense when she speaks

May 5, 2011 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  18. Patrick from Minnesota

Now it's official. Gingrich and Santorum are running.

May 5, 2011 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  19. Darth Cheney

Has there ever been a point in history where a media outlet served as a stable and employer for the majority of a party's Presidential candidates? It's quite disgusting when you think about it – but that assumes we Americans think.

May 5, 2011 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  20. Geomatic

Their best bet is Trump. HAH! The sock puppets of the Koch brothers are clueless.

May 5, 2011 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  21. f

I am a Republican and I would not vote for either of these guys. Gingrich is out of office too long to be relevant and has too much baggage. Santorum never was or will be a household name and cannot get elected.

May 5, 2011 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  22. Buccakenji

this post makes sound like Fox 'fired' them which is not the case. the purpose is tp avoid a conflict of interest for Fox and the candidates

May 5, 2011 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  23. Anonymous

What amount of self-delusion convinces either of these clowns that he has a prayer of winning the presidency?

May 5, 2011 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  24. PDXSerric

I'm sorry... who cares about this? The GOP still haven't produced a single viable candidate... so why show us more of their chaff?

May 5, 2011 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  25. Anonymous

Who cares? i've never seen any of these losers' shows anyway.

May 5, 2011 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |