Poll shows 3 percent now think Obama born abroad
May 5th, 2011

Poll shows 3 percent now think Obama born abroad

(CNN) – President Obama's decision to release his birth certificate appears to have satisfied all but a tiny fringe who continue to believe he was not born in America.

According to a recently released Washington Post poll, only 3 percent of Americans now believe the president was born abroad while 77 percent say he was definitely born in the United States. Nearly 20 percent have no opinion on that matter.

A similar Washington Post poll conducted a year ago found 14 percent of Americans believed the president was born in another country while 68 percent thought he was born in the United States.

Obama released his birth certificate last week, saying the controversy surrounding the issue had become a "sideshow."

The surprise release followed recent and sustained remarks by businessman Donald Trump, among others, raising doubts as to whether the president was born in the United States.

The poll was conducted April 28-May 1 and surveyed 1,006 Americans by telephone. It carries a sampling error of plus or minus 3.5 percentage points.

Filed under: Polls • President Obama
  1. Rudy NYC

I have a suggestion for a poll. You should test to see if people feel the that Bush/Obama should get the credit for both the economy and Bin Laden. Or, should the credit be split between between one or the other, and in which way. Please sort the results according party affiliation.

May 5, 2011 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  2. gt

3% slow learners

May 5, 2011 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  3. NVa Native

So 3% are fox media & hate radio talking heads?

May 5, 2011 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  4. SC0820

I'm never voting for another black president because I'm not going to let people call me a racist if I question or disagree with him. Is that racist?
    Also, why is the media taking this at obamas word when all major media wanted nothing less than to prove Bush was lying lying lying. It's amazing. Who are the real racists? Hating white people and labeling them racist IS RACISM.
    Chew on that

May 5, 2011 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  5. Me

Please tell me that three percent don't vote, drive or breed !

May 5, 2011 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  6. Lisa

Where are Donald Trump's tax records?

I thought he promised to release them as soon as President Obama released his birth certificate.

I never thought it was necessary to release his birth certificate, as if he was not qualified I am sure Bill or Hillary would have let it be known way back when.

I would still like to see Mr. Trump's tax returns. That would be very interesting.

May 5, 2011 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  7. Mr. Moderate

Stunning that that many people are that gullible that they would believe a whistering campaign in the first place, then backtrack so quickly.

May 5, 2011 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  8. bckrd1

He was born abroad but in a State of the United States. Some people don't even know Hawaii is part of the United States.

May 5, 2011 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  9. josh

SC0820: Your comment is by definition racist. You say you will never vote for another president just because you assume that voting for a person of a particular race will be bad for you... Funny, if it wasn't so sad....

May 5, 2011 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  10. The Day of Financial Reckoning is HERE - The Great Democrat Welfare Society Ends

It's not that people don't believe he was born here. It is that people can't believe somebody that was born here can be such a socialist and contrary to what many in this country believe in.

May 5, 2011 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  11. West

3% = actual percentage of the US population who are tea party members.

May 5, 2011 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  12. Harry

Hey PALINHOPE, what are you going to do now that Glenn Beck is off Fox? Where will you now be able to get such silly silly drivel? You do know that Beck is secretly laughing at people like you that actually buy that junk.

I think 3% is less than the number of Americans who think the Earth is flat, so I see good progress here....doh

May 5, 2011 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  13. johnny popper

Wasn't the issue why did it take until this far into a person's run for public office to produce the requisite document reflecting signatures of witnesses to a birth? Who cares where the person is born as long as you're born to an American. OB is American for sure. The question was why so long to produce the witnessed document and why was it released by his handlers at this point? Just odd timing.

May 5, 2011 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  14. Sniffit

"Nearly 20 percent have no opinion on that matter."

Translation: "Nearly 20% are GOPers who now realize how whack-jobby they would sound to keep pushing the issue but aren't willing to admit they were 100% wrong and whack-jobs to begin with and certainly aren't willing to take the position that Obama is a full-blooded, natural born United States citizen with every right to preside as POTUS."

May 5, 2011 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  15. Tea bagger!!!!!

Cnn should do a poll to see how stupid the Repulican party (GOP) is????

May 5, 2011 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  16. SC0820

McCain had issues of birth place that required clarification and it was provided. Was that racism?
    Why are people surprised that this is a legitimate issue? It should be scrutinized and it should be resolved. Releasing a PDF that is itself questionable might not be enough. I don't know what to believe, but I do know it's a reasonable question, and I hope it's fully resolved soon so we can move on to actual issues.
    It's amazing how fast the race card got played when a hot issue came up. That is going to hurt his bid for re-election because nobody likes to be called a racist, especially when it's being used to try to quiet a reasonable question.

May 5, 2011 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  17. TEE

There comes a time in everyones life when that light bulb finally comes on, and you have to admit to yourself that you were a complete idiot about this birther issue...Maybe now you will be carefull about the other idiots you listen too, and the faux news you watch.......To the Tea Party supporters that want their country back, people will soon discover your racist light bulb.....

May 5, 2011 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  18. Sniffit

Approximately 3% of the population has an IQ below 70 (real statistic). You decide.

May 5, 2011 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  19. XWngLady

"I'm never voting for another black president because I'm not going to let people call me a racist if I question or disagree with him."....The idiocy of this comment cannot be overstated....Really SC0820?...I mean really? You may be able to fool others with your semantic gobbldy-gook, but I know better. People who are constantly defensive about it and demanding that you PROVE that they are a racist are invariably racist. Because reasonable people understand that you can tell a tree by its fruit. And if the fruit of your lips is racist then that's what's on the inside. We are not stupid. We know racism when we hear it and see it, no matter how loudly you protest about it.

May 5, 2011 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  20. kim c

The 3% are Trump's base. He must be so proud.

May 5, 2011 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  21. Mark

3% racists morons that don't matter AT ALL.

May 5, 2011 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  22. Michelle

3% – well let me guess – Rush, Palin and Trump?! Or is 3% of the television audience watching Fox/

May 5, 2011 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  23. SC0820

See. Again, it's not the actual person I will 'not' be voting for, as I did actually vote for Obama.
    I'm not going to let you call me a racist when I raise legitimate issues, and you proved my point with your posts.
    Get it yet?

May 5, 2011 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  24. Claudia, Houston, Tx

That 3% are the Republicans who were on their 2 week vacation when President Obama captured and killed OBL.

May 5, 2011 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  25. Rudy NYC

@SC0820
    -------------------------------
    No, that was not racism. Both McCain and Obama provided any and all documentation, which was accepted by a GOP run Federal Election Commission. Trust me, if the Obama were not legitimate, the GOP would have made the fact known loud and clear: all the way to the SCOTUS to get Obama off the '08 ballots.

It has already been demonstrated and accepted that the man was born in Hawaii. So why is it NOT racism to keep asking for his identification papers?

May 5, 2011 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |