Herman Cain announcement near on possible presidential bid
May 7th, 2011

Herman Cain announcement near on possible presidential bid

(CNN)- Potential GOP candidate Herman Cain has indicated that he will formally announce he will run for president at an event to be held in two weeks.

And despite many political observers dismissing him as a potential challenger, his campaign's communications director told CNN on Saturday, "We are running an operation because we are first-tier. We're serious."

In a radio interview late Friday with conservative blogger and CNN contributor Erick Erickson, Cain was coy but seemed clear about his intentions.

"We will be holding a major announcement event from me," Cain said.

"Do you think I'm going to be making a big deal out of this to announce that I'm not going to run?" he added.

Cain's campaign released a statement Friday indicating that he will hold a rally in his hometown of Atlanta on May 21 to "announce his decision regarding a potential presidential campaign."

Cain's communications director, Ellen Carmichael, said the announcement will be "a very large-scale, public event."

"It's not going to be a speech," she said, "It's going to be an experience."

In January, the former CEO of Godfather's Pizza was the first Republican to officially form a presidential exploratory committee. Cain won the Tea Party live straw poll at a summit in Phoenix in February and has since courted potential supporters in the early primary and caucus states of Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina, among other stops around the country.

CNN's Shannon Travis contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2012 • Herman Cain
  1. dave

Yeah...could I get and extra large comination, no olives and extra cheese? Thanks.

May 7, 2011 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  2. Karl Jonas

Cain: "I'm black and I'm heinous. Vote for me."

May 7, 2011 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  3. ATL Guy

Does he think the Republicans will vote to remove a black candidate out of the White House and put in another one? Maybe he hasn't gotten the memo.

May 7, 2011 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  4. Obama is, always will be my President

you Go Cain, give it all you got because it will take it to beat President Obama.

May 7, 2011 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  5. Chance Wiese

Run! CAIN Run! stay humble!

May 7, 2011 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  6. Proud member of "Global Zero"

I saw a little of the debate....not impressed at all. No NEW ideas. They just keep regurgitating the old ones. Every time a Republican takes office, we lose our freedoms. Just try living in Florida!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 7, 2011 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  7. Larry L

An African American who supports the Republican Party is somewhat like a Log Cabin Republican – more motivated by greed than social morality. Still, as I recall that sea of racists that is the Tea Party I can't help but wonder how anybody but white, Christian, bigots could ever consider themselves modern Republicans. Can he not see the hatred in the eyes of those "Red State" radicals? I'll bet they bend over backwards to show their love of diversity when he's around. What a pile of crap.

May 7, 2011 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  8. Monster Zero

Herman is the MAN! He would have my vote, he gets it!

May 7, 2011 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  9. B

Cain is also just about as – Full of Himself – as Trump is.
    Unlimited Arrogance.

May 7, 2011 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  10. Palin Power

Cain's candidacy is futile for Sarah Palin will become President. Palin will easily PWN Cain and the rest of the GOP competition. This country needs her as our next President.

May 7, 2011 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  11. sara

Cain said, he's glad he's not on the Democrat's "plantation".......He just didn't mention that he is on Racist Georgia's Plantation, where NOBODY ruins the "government" but OLD southerners White Men....that's why he hasn't never ran for, or won any elected office in his home state. He's stupid. Godfathers (Gangsta) Pizza was NASTY and so is he. Run Cain Run..LOL

May 7, 2011 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  12. Kyra

Barack Obama will be the only Black man elected President, at least in the next 100 years... Herman Cain, has no chance of ever being President.

May 7, 2011 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  13. DENNA

LOL are you serious? The GOP will support this man's candidacy, but have been giving President guff for two year? Bwahahhaaa.

May 7, 2011 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  14. peace

hey cain save you money. we will not vote for a uncle tom ask micheal steele so dont waste your time ok

May 7, 2011 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  15. w l jones

Cain might run for president but will be backward and all he catch is draft..LOL.

May 7, 2011 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  16. HurriCain

Cain is a breath of fresh air.

May 7, 2011 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  17. Republican Robber Baron

So he was the CEO of a Pizza franchise...how does that make him qualified? He is a blowhard with nothing useful to offer, other than giving the illusion of diversity to an otherwise party of Old Bitter Whites that have a ton of Bigots in the ranks.

May 7, 2011 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  18. don bartoe

herman cain is the only one id consider for president. i believe hes a godsend and an answer to americas prayers. god bless america again. and god bless mr cain

May 7, 2011 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  19. johnson

Sit down and shut up, FOOL. I don't vote based on race, but this is one African American that would NEVER EVER vote for you, you discuss me and I think that you know what I am talking about. I pray that you read CNN Blogs. I would vote for ANY of the other republicans before I would vote for you.

Obama / Biden 2012

May 7, 2011 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  20. pit boss

It aint gonna happen and we all know why

May 7, 2011 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  21. Ben

'"We will be holding a major announcement event from me," Cain said.'

Cain thinks he is more intelligent than he actually is. Did you listen to him in the debate? Everytime he spoke, he made a statement that didn't make grammatical sense.

May 7, 2011 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  22. Truth Dealer

Cain ! Really, are you that stupid ? Just look at how the republicans did Michael Steele . Do you really think they would treat you any better ? If he does try to run , It would be extremely difficult for him to even make the first cut ! Cain is just another wannabe just like Steele , who is jealous of President Obama ! The fact of the matter is, in oder to be President you have to have charisma and a likable personality ! Cain is about as likable as Alan Keyes and President Obama beat the pant's off Alan Keyes when he ran as a senator ! The out come would be exactly the same if they were to go up against one another ! To put it mildly Cain , you are wasting your time and making a fool out of yourself at the same time ! !

May 7, 2011 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  23. Wire Palladin, S. F.

Run Herman, run! You are just as clueless as the other republican candidates. As for national security, I hope you don't have to disclose your pizza's secret ingredients, as that could lead to a global disaster.

May 7, 2011 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  24. Raven33

Nice minimalization of Herman Cain. No mention of the fact that he blew the other debaters away in the polls. CNN is afraid that Mr Cain, a black man, may get nominated to run against Obama. NOW WHO IS THE RACISTS?

May 7, 2011 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  25. rusty155

I'm sorry but for the Republican and the TEA PARTY to back you are the Wrong color. So you don't really think you would win the Republican Nomination for President do you. They Haven't gave President Obama a chance since he was voted by the American people to be President. The First two Years all they did was say NO to everything he try to do. but he still got America going In the Right Way. I'm a Independent Voter and President Obama has my vote.

May 7, 2011 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |