Should 9/11 victims' families, others get bin Laden bounty money?
May 9th, 2011

Should 9/11 victims' families, others get bin Laden bounty money?

New York (CNN) – Any unclaimed bounty money from the death of terrorist leader Osama bin Laden should go to the first responders, victims' families and survivors of the 9/11 terror attacks, a pair of New York congressmen said Sunday.

Reps. Anthony Weiner and Jerrold Nadler have introduced legislation that would award up to $50 million of the bounty approved by Congress to help fund organizations that provide health care, psychological care and other resources to those most directly affected in the September 11, 2001, attacks.

FULL STORY

Filed under: 9/11 • Anthony Weiner • Jerrold Nadler • New York • Osama bin Laden
  1. modernman

I totally agree. The money should be distributed for education and support for these families.

May 9, 2011 07:52 am at 7:52 am |
  2. Rudy NYC

If I am not mistaken, the families of "victims" have already been handsomely compensated. They do not need additional compensation when there are others who thus far have gone uncompensated. I say leave the "victims" out; use the money for the responders, rescuers, recoverers and other "non-viticms" of the attacks, or do not distribute it at all.

May 9, 2011 08:24 am at 8:24 am |
  3. Danny

I The money should not be distributed, while I feel for these families and their loss, the government can not continue to pay for the events of 9-11. The bounty was for the capture and it should be left with the government. If there is a need for the responders and other affected, but not compensated then use the money to help them.

May 9, 2011 08:37 am at 8:37 am |
  4. kmp

I agree with Rudy I think the money should go to the first responders, rescuers and others like them as the "victims" have already been awarded I think what 2 million dollars. Not that I don't feel for the victims nothing can replace what they lost, but the responders and others like them have been largely forgotten and shafted so I think this would help benefit those who risked there lives in order to try to save others and are now many sick or tramatized because of the events of 9/11.

May 9, 2011 08:41 am at 8:41 am |
  5. mgc florida

These families have already been richly compensated mostly through the goodness of other americans. There are many of us who have had family members murdered and did not recieve this kind of support. How about establishing a fund to assist famililes of murder victims pay for things like funerals for their love ones when they don'thave the money or medical care for surviving children. The 9/11 families got millions, they don't need anymore.

May 9, 2011 08:57 am at 8:57 am |