Gingrich says voters should judge his ability to lead now
May 15th, 2011

Gingrich says voters should judge his ability to lead now

Washington (CNN) - Judge me by what I can do for America now, rather than only by my mistakes in the past, Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich said Sunday.

The former House speaker, who announced his candidacy last week, told NBC's "Meet the Press" that he has made mistakes in life, including an adulterous affair that led to one of his two divorces.

FULL STORY

Filed under: 2012 • Newt Gingrich
  1. matt

Right Newt...judge you now, because Lord knows that's what the GOP does to Obama. They wouldn't stoop down so low as to judge him on his past. Hypocrite.

May 15, 2011 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  2. Steven

I guess all of the mistakes he made in the past mean nothing because he will never make another mistake. Do not judge him on past performance, it does not reflect his capability.

May 15, 2011 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  3. Ugot2BKiddinMe

What??!! Where does the Newt think he is? This is the U.S., where the media will dig for the tiniest bit of dirt and spew it all over the country as headline news. The peasants lap it up and the candidate falls – end of story. The mere fact that he could even think his silly plaint could persuade people to stop bringing up his past is so ridiculous, it reeks of bad judgement. Newt can talk, which puts him several notches higher than the Shrub, but he sure doesn't seem to have better cognitive skills.

May 15, 2011 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  4. Pat

Newt wants us to judge him on his present and what he thinks he can for the country. Yet he was the one sitting in judgement of a past president, all the while he was having an ongoing affair. RIGHT I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE ELECTION SO I CAN NOT VOTE FOR HIM

May 15, 2011 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  5. lloyd roberts

Typical hypocrite religious conservative like Ensign, Indiana's Suder, Tacoma mayor Jim West, Fla Rep Tim Foley, Bob Livingston, Louisiana freak David Vitter and his rubber underwear, SC governer, freak whatever his name is all have one thing in common. Do as I say don't do as I do. I can never trust a religious conservative freak like Gingrich. Apologize to clinton you heathen.

May 15, 2011 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  6. Moby Detroit, MI

Ok, lets ignor your past and judge you on your current positions. Lets see, you would eliminate estate tax, eliminate capital gains, lower top income tax rate, privatize social security and medicare.

Sorry still a no.

And you think Obama is ruining the country. With you there would be no country left, just aristocrats and serfs.

May 15, 2011 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  7. NO!

Once a cheat, always a cheat.
    TWICE OVER in his case. (And who know, many more?)

May 15, 2011 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  8. Joshua Ludd

In other words... please ignore my hypocrisy, my bad leadership, and my willingness to put myself and my own pleasure and benefit ahead of the country as well as my own ethics and morals... which I want enforced on you through law, but which I do not have to live by.

No thank you.

May 15, 2011 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  9. john

It does not work that way Newt. How does the country know that you don't screw us over? You made a big deal of the Clinton affair while indulging it yourself. what does it make of you.
    It's ironic that Barack Obama is a great role model for family values but he is not in the family values party.

May 15, 2011 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  10. PDXSerric

Judge me now not on past? Riiiiight. Didn't the Bible say something about a leopard being unable to change its spots? I think the same applies to a Newt not being able to change his skin...

May 15, 2011 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  11. Frigate

Yeah... "Let me have it both ways"

May 15, 2011 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  12. Kellie

Are you kidding. He really thinks he can win. No one is going to beat Obama.

May 15, 2011 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  13. Terry Gloege

Caught his act on Meet The Press this morning. I'm still not impressed. We need a flame thrower in the White House about like we need another Gulf Oil Disaster.

May 15, 2011 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  14. PhillUranus

You a product of your actions and your past!
    A heartless cheater, and you will cheat again even if it is against your nation, it's in your DNA.

May 15, 2011 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  15. Michael

Your PAST is part of who you are.........and who you'll always be......and you're not fit to lead our country.

May 15, 2011 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  16. Tim Donahue

Just like those republicans always wanting a do-over. Newt is a fool.

May 15, 2011 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  17. Steve

No, you'll be judged on the full measure of your life. You're a sleazebag for cheating upon and leaving your cancer-stricken wife, as well as for committing ethics violations during your tenure in the house. From a political standpoint, I'd probably forgive you the former cheeseball maneuver if you hadn't been such a pompous hypocrit about Bill Clinton's far lesser transgressions. You obviously lack the appropriate level of shame and embarrassment, so we shall have to instill it in you. Sorry; no free ride on your pond-scum past, Newt.

May 15, 2011 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  18. Michael Murphy

Our judgement as to how our political leaders will lead now and in the future is and should be how they have acted in the past. Mr. Gingrich has shown judgement so flawed as to be fatal in judging him to be qualified to be the POTUS.

Michael Murphy

May 15, 2011 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  19. Dave

The same was probably said by every criminal in history.

May 15, 2011 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  20. Gene from Georgia

I assume he wants us to think he's still not cheating on his wife. Would that mean he's less patriotic now?

May 15, 2011 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  21. gwats

Newt was the worst speaker of the House in 50 years! He shut down the Federal Government, Had 84 Ethics charges brought against him, and seems to lack a moral compass. Go ahead and run, Newt. President Obama needs a few more 'test crash dummies' like you to take Aim on. By the way, are you working on wife no.4 yet?

May 15, 2011 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  22. Darren H

This man is a hypocrite. While they were going after Clinton he was having an adulterous affair. NEWT you are a piece of HUMAN WASTE LIAR.

May 15, 2011 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  23. JC

If our history defines who we are now, then how can we escape it? To ignore a person's past is to ignore the development of their character and their reputation. How many affairs did this man have? Dozens? More? Was he not censored by a congress? Does he believe that no one would remember? A solemn oath is meaningless to this man. He was an embarrassment to the Republican party then, and he's an embarrassment now.

May 15, 2011 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  24. Stephen

The problem is the past usually repeats itself. Once a cheater, always a cheater.

May 15, 2011 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  25. Pablo695

Poor Newt. I might have given him the benefit of a doubt if only HE had done the same for Bill Clinton. But he did not – in fact, he dumped multiple wives due to multiple affairs while prosecuting Bill and claiming "Family Values", where as Bill stuck his wive for better or worse. Makes me wonder about Newt's real definition of family values – OK for me but not for you?

Now Newt wants us to apply a different standard to him, to change the rules only to serve his personal interest; in essence to pretend he did not make the same bad decision on multiple occasions. Sorry Newt, but a candidate history is important – everyone uses the candidate's past history as potential decision point for voters, and your past history makes it very easy – ABSOLUTELY NO TO NEWT!

May 15, 2011 11:31 am at 11:31 am |