Gingrich says voters should judge his ability to lead now
May 15th, 2011

Gingrich says voters should judge his ability to lead now

Washington (CNN) - Judge me by what I can do for America now, rather than only by my mistakes in the past, Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich said Sunday.

The former House speaker, who announced his candidacy last week, told NBC's "Meet the Press" that he has made mistakes in life, including an adulterous affair that led to one of his two divorces.

FULL STORY

Filed under: 2012 • Newt Gingrich
  1. William Marlowe

This guy is insane. He thinks that he is allowed all types of special circumstance and consideration but that everyone else should be judged by his harsh standards.

This person has proven to be untrustworthy but he wants you to trust him.

This person has proven to be an adulter but he wants you to believe his is religious and pias.

This person is dangerous and has no business even asking to be considered to be President, yet he still thinks he deserves to be President.

This person wants to run for President but does not feel like he should have to answer your questions about his past.

No Way Newt. Go Away Newt.

May 15, 2011 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  2. ConernedNetizen

"Judge me by what I can do for America now, rather than only by my mistakes in the past, Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich said Sunday."– Now if THAT isn't a prime example of defective political view on responsibility (or lack thereof) in this country, I don't know what is.. It can't be THAT HARD find someone else who can run this country AND follow its laws and values.

May 15, 2011 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  3. ed bailey

Newt, you and your party need to sit on top of a mountain somewhere and meditate. After a very long time you and them might see the light and return a better person/party. Truth always wins in the end. That is why you are all losers. President Obama in 2012- Hillary in 2016 and 2020. A democratic messiah in 2024! By then the smell of rotting republican carcasses should be waning*nd lime will cover the rest!

May 15, 2011 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  4. Larry

HA! Yeah because making a decision at the polls never involves looking at someone's past. I don't think he's given anyone a free pass on their past. What a great way to kick off his comedy tour.

May 15, 2011 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  5. DJL

Okay, let's forget about what he did in the '90s and just concentrate on what he's done during the past decade: NOTHING!

May 15, 2011 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  6. Cincy

As much as I think Newt means well and wants to be president I just do not think he is the answer for the GOP right now I think the GOP best be finding a crediable candidate to go against President Obama or he will be re-elected. Right now there is no one tha can. I know there are those who think so but who? Palin? Trump? Newt? sorry none of these names fit the bill. I see Gov. Daniels from Indiana may jump in the race who could be one that has a shot at beating Obama in 2012 or if someone from the GOP can convince Gov. Christie from New Jersey to run the GOP will go down in 2012. WAKE UP GOP someone needs to get the party fired up or as I'm afraid to say this GOP President Obama will be re-elected for sure!

May 15, 2011 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  7. greg in jax

What exactly have you done now that would warrant judging. You are a blowharded divisive flip-flopping talking head. Is that what you mean by leading? Take your money and go home, we do not want what you are selling.

May 15, 2011 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  8. Jennifer

I'm not sure why Newt thinks we should save our judgement and only look at how he is doing now. I don't necessarily judge him but I hope he has some compassion now for women who are working two jobs while trying to raise children too. I hope he has compassion for some of the people who have been hurt by his programs that he fought so hard for back in the day.

May 15, 2011 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  9. marianne

I don't think so, Newtie.

May 15, 2011 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  10. Kyle

These right wing republicans have no shame. This is the same guy who was cheating on his wife while attacking Clinton for being unfaithful.

May 15, 2011 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  11. Marc Florida

Let's see we have Palin, Trump, and Gingrich. How about Trump for Pres, Palin for V. Pres, or Gingrich for Pres. and Trump for V. Pres or some such combination. Reagan must be turning over in his grave. It's starting to look a lot better for our sitting President, Obama. Go for it Newt!!!!

May 15, 2011 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  12. marianne

Funny. Not too many raging Republicans commenting on this one today, is there? Can't imagine why.

May 15, 2011 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  13. Jorge A Ayad

Now you see it ,now you don`t. You want us to forgive your past..?How cynic you got to be Mr Gingrich

May 15, 2011 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  14. Ronald Hussein Reagan

Reminds me of Homer Simpson after a particularly egregious stunt, "Sure, we can play the blame game all day long, but isn't it better just to move on?" In this case the country has moved on – but without Newt.

May 15, 2011 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  15. Alex Santana

The last thing this country needs is a short, fat, troll like president. He lies through his teeth and is arrogant to boot. Thanks for running though, clearly the lines between Dems and GOP are now real clear! Super news that this southern windbag is running...it has made my day!! HOw can conservatiives back him? IT will show them to be as fake as they are!

May 15, 2011 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  16. ken

Sheeeerrrr, Newt. Let's forget your hypocrisy and adultery, and look at your lack of current leadership. As a politician you are absolute joke, THAT'S what we'll judge you on.

May 15, 2011 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  17. Paul, MN

The only "ability" Newt Gingrich has is to be a Fox News ANAList. And educated voters are able to judge this well.

May 15, 2011 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  18. hjs3

Sanctimonious pseudo intellectual then/now and still spewing
    the same old tripe....

May 15, 2011 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  19. B

Voters have already made up their minds about him !

He is yet another redundant Republican , old,obese, angry white bigot trying to take over where Bush left off.

May 15, 2011 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  20. Chops

SORRY NEWT! There's a reason people who commit sex crimes have to have their names placed on a registry–to be a public message and ALERT for all who would live near such animals to their location. Your indiscretions are worthy of such a registry. And so NO...I will NOT just *forget* your past. You're SLIME–and you ALWAYS WILL BE!!

RON PAUL 2012!!!

May 15, 2011 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  21. vic , nashville ,tn

“Judge me by what I can do for America now rather than only by my mistakes in the past”,
    How many time you made mistake Mr. Gingrich ok we may forgive you but one rule for you others different rules no vote for you
    I never get any welfare, Mr. Gingrich you have strange view about people who getting welfare , you care about you only so again no vote for you

May 15, 2011 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  22. Joe Rioux

What a crock. Where was this enlightened, forgiving attitude during the Monica Lewinsky scandal? "Family values" Republicans are all the same. They're fire and brimstone and judgment–until they get caught with their pants down. Then, suddenly, they're forgiving (of themselves).

May 15, 2011 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  23. Politicians are Angels and Teachers are now Devils according to the gospel of GOP Tea Party

Newt, Ask Osama Bin Ladin...................American "Will Never Forget"............your cheating Adulterous affairs with multiple women!!!!

We will be mounting an all out attack on your lying & cheating ways....and expose you to all of America what a cheating dirtbag scumbag you are!!!!

May 15, 2011 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  24. David in Houston

Sure, I'll judge him now. He wants to turn America into his own personal theocracy. He's also a hypocritical bigoted homophobe. He's been married three times, and cheated on two of his wives. Yet he has the audacity to say that gay citizens shouldn't have the right to marry each other. His arrogance is nothing short of stupefying. He is wholly unqualified to be president, or hold any political office for that matter.

May 15, 2011 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  25. Casey Burns

Yes – maybe he can also apologize to Bill Clinton too, for hypocritically going after Clinton for Clinton's affairs while he was having is own.

May 15, 2011 11:47 am at 11:47 am |